[Finance] ******** The Scam Thread *********

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
that's cool. It was a recorded voicemail mind, and in an electronic voice. It was far too aggressive to be in anyway real "call us back or prepare to face legal consequences"

my wife had one whilst we were at the office. The ‘tax man’ said that unless she paid the outstanding outstanding tax of £600 odd they would enforce her immediate arrest and their officers would be at her house to do this within the next 10 minutes!

he seemed a little taken aback when she said oh okay then i’ll put my coat on ready

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
_20201210_170733.JPG

This is a new one for me. Received a text earlier supposedly from HSBC. Obviously I didn't follow the link but I'd imagine plenty of people would, especially if they actually bank with HSBC.

Had a call on my mobile last Saturday morning - no attempt at disguising either number (standard land line) or location (Tyneside appeared on my screen) and a female voice said that she knew that I had recently been a road accident. I hadn't and cut her off. Seemed a bit of crap attempt at a scam.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I keep getting emails from DPD saying I've missed a parcel and to pay £3 to redeliver. Parcel number in DPD tracker and does not exist. I haven't ordered anything either.

GM98

Sep 6, 2008
Shoreham
Just had a very pleasant message on Facebook, supposedly from a friend of mine. It basically said a close family member had alerted him to a federal government grant and he completed the forms and received a lot of money. Seemed like a scam, especially as finished each message with x, so I asked what was my daughters name and where did we go camping. His answers were wrong, so blocked him and notified Facebook

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
In the middle of last night I received verification code texts from both Curve and Crypto.com. I’ve ignored both. Anything to worry about?

Possibly.

My son receive a phone call from his bank telling him they had a number of dubious transactions and would send him the verification codes by txt. The man on the phone stated what the transaction items were and asked for the code 'he had just txted'. This went on for 30 minutes or so. At the end of the call my son was getting a bit suspicious and checked his account. Emptied. The scam is that someone steals card details and the phone number of the card owner (don't know how - may have happened separately and some time ago, with data sold on dark web). Someone buys the data and sets up a fake phone number similar to the actual bank's phone number (I don't know how this is done). The fraudster then cues up some online transactions he has made, and left pending the final click 'buy'. He then makes the phone call. He reads out the transaction, clicks 'buy, and then the victim gets the verification code text. He asks what the code is, and then verifies the transaction.

I posted this on another thread a few weeks ago. Presently the bank is holding out that my son authorised the transaction (whereas it was the person who had hacked my son's online account doing the verifying).

I gather the moral of the story is never ever read out a verification code down the phone, or type it on a website, even if you think you are corresponding with the Lord Jesus himself.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Possibly.

My son receive a phone call from his bank telling him they had a number of dubious transactions and would send him the verification codes by txt. The man on the phone stated what the transaction items were and asked for the code 'he had just txted'. This went on for 30 minutes or so. At the end of the call my son was getting a bit suspicious and checked his account. Emptied. The scam is that someone steals card details and the phone number of the card owner (don't know how - may have happened separately and some time ago, with data sold on dark web). Someone buys the data and sets up a fake phone number similar to the actual bank's phone number (I don't know how this is done). The fraudster then cues up some online transactions he has made, and left pending the final click 'buy'. He then makes the phone call. He reads out the transaction, clicks 'buy, and then the victim gets the verification code text. He asks what the code is, and then verifies the transaction.

I posted this on another thread a few weeks ago. Presently the bank is holding out that my son authorised the transaction (whereas it was the person who had hacked my son's online account doing the verifying).

I gather the moral of the story is never ever read out a verification code down the phone, or type it on a website, even if you think you are corresponding with the Lord Jesus himself.

i have heard of this one .....bloody unreal eh ....cheeky , clever but also effing nasty and annoying.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
i have heard of this one .....bloody unreal eh ....cheeky , clever but also effing nasty and annoying.

Indeed. Son was in bits. Two year's savigs all gone; he doesn't earn a lot. He spent many hours contacting the ombudsman, the old bill, etc., and maybe something will come of that (thanks to several NSC posters who advised us what to do), but I sorted him out with the money, and we move on, chastened.

Hope you're enjoying your Christmas :thumbsup:

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Indeed. Son was in bits. Two year's savigs all gone; he doesn't earn a lot. He spent many hours contacting the ombudsman, the old bill, etc., and maybe something will come of that (thanks to several NSC posters who advised us what to do), but I sorted him out with the money, and we move on, chastened.

Hope you're enjoying your Christmas :thumbsup:

my wife parents live in Durban in S.A they are in their late 70's and are getting scammed regularly , they now have a clause on their cc and atm account that no withdrawal or purchase is to be made without a confirming phone call ......pain in the arse but they have been cleaned out twice , literally left with nothing.
There are some nasty , heartless ******** out there.

yes thanks its been ok , we are relatively unaffected over here by the virus .................hope you are managing to have a decent festive season despite all the restrictions :moo:::smile:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
my wife parents live in Durban in S.A they are in their late 70's and are getting scammed regularly , they now have a clause on their cc and atm account that no withdrawal or purchase is to be made without a confirming phone call ......pain in the arse but they have been cleaned out twice , literally left with nothing.
There are some nasty , heartless ******** out there.

yes thanks its been ok , we are relatively unaffected over here by the virus .................hope you are managing to have a decent festive season despite all the restrictions :moo:::smile:

That's grim, and your solution understandable. Twice bitten, etc. I'm of a mind that evil ******** eventually come a cropper as a consequence of their own shitness. One can only hope.

Our personal situation is fine at the moment, and the Crimbo went very well, thanks (apart from my pal and his headwound, as recounted on another thread :mad:) :thumbsup:.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I received a text today from 07399 266480.

Telling me they are PayPal and they have limited my account due to safety concerns and to visit some dodgy website.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I haven't read the whole thread but a little trick I tell my 84 year old mum is to check the actual email address.

Most of them are from pilfered addresses and many on on here will have a greater understanding of this than me, however it is usually a good way of confirming whether the sender is genuine.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Nice of HSBC to text me about a new payee on my account when I bank at NatWest.

There seems to be scope for them to trim their service and overheads though.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Received a call on my mobile yesterday, from this number, 0203 270 7048.
Informing me that HMRC had issued an arrest warrant, for monies that were overdue.

I'm currently on the run, disguised as a :shit::lolol:

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Someone buys the data and sets up a fake phone number similar to the actual bank's phone number (I don't know how this is done).

There are many dodgy telcos around that will let you spoof the CLI part of the C7 string they send to the UK telco to initiate the call. In theory you can set yourself up as a telco with just a PC, using a third party to provide interconnection.

I am sure with some government effort many of these scams could be stopped

When the call originates abroad, it's more difficult as there are many places where the regulation is lax and enforcement non-existant.

Si Gull

Way Down South
Mar 18, 2008
On top of the world
I received a text today from 07399 266480.

Telling me they are PayPal and they have limited my account due to safety concerns and to visit some dodgy website.

I've had exactly the same. Also 'EE' telling me they can't process my direct debit. There's a lot of it about.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I've had exactly the same. Also 'EE' telling me they can't process my direct debit. There's a lot of it about.

I have also had a similar one in the past from a scammer posing as O2, it was also a mobile number.
I’m not sure how many they catch as I’ve been with O2 for years and every text from them comes up as O2UK.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Got a text today from 'HMRC' informing me that they owed me a rebate from last year and wanted my details.
Obviously a scam as Tax Office only inform you by letter so I deleted it.
This has happened every January for the past three years since I packed up work.
Feck Off

:)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports