Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
IMG_4804.png

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Hi folks. Rather than start a new thread, has anyone else been asked to change their bank details for the Dartford Crossing charge?

Is this a scam? Here is the reply address:

1689860177396.png

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
An associate is getting plagued by these emails, the tw@t sender, after getting no joy their wording has become very direct :lolol:.

The funny thing is that their first wave of emails were addressed to Charles, they thought he was the MD at a clients, something they must’ve gleaned from Companies House …. but got wrong.

IMG_1144.jpeg

Jul 7, 2003

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Hello everyone. Visiting my 89year old mum today. Phone rang so I picked it up. An American woman said she had booked the flight to Miami and my mother now owed her $500 dollars. This was to be paid immediately and she wanted to know the bank details WTF??? Needless to say what my response was.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I'm sure plenty of you have booked accommodation via booking.com for our upcoming european adventures.

Very sophisticated this one as it genuinely comes via the booking.com platform and has the details of your booking.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
FYI, this text message scam is doing the rounds again, received it this morning. Feel free to cut and paste my reply if you receive one.1000009301.jpg

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
FYI, this text message scam is doing the rounds again, received it this morning. Feel free to cut and paste my reply if you receive one.View attachment 168060
I had a similar one asking for £20 to get home from the station

My response

Listen, you’ve been living off me for 20 years to the tune of £170,000 and I am yet to see any return on my investment.
Make your own way home and show me you are capable you useless f***

They then relied

“Dad / Mum please, I beg you”

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I had a similar one asking for £20 to get home from the station

My response

Listen, you’ve been living off me for 20 years to the tune of £170,000 and I am yet to see any return on my investment.
Make your own way home and show me you are capable you useless f***

They then relied

“Dad / Mum please, I beg you”
Make them walk.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Here's a new one for me. An email from 'Amazon Prime' wanting my payment details updated, effectively as I'd replaced a bank card (which was in fact true). I realise they churn out millions of these scam emails, knowing a % will fall for it.

The scam email expertly copies the text/imagery of an Amazon email, it got through my Spam/Virus filters.

In haste as I was in the middle of clearing emails, I almost fell for the f@ckers, only a blocker prevented me accessing their link!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Amazon have introduced 'one time password' top add security to high value deliveries. Apparently some less scrupulous delivery drivers have been using this to steal items while recording them as delivered. I don't know how widespread this is.

I recently had a delivery with one of these, and was rather confused because the delivery person handed me the item before asking for the code.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Amazon have introduced 'one time password' top add security to high value deliveries. Apparently some less scrupulous delivery drivers have been using this to steal items while recording them as delivered. I don't know how widespread this is.

I recently had a delivery with one of these, and was rather confused because the delivery person handed me the item before asking for the code.
Worrying, as assume the driver won't hand over parcel until you provide the code, and won't show the hand held device to verify the problem. A step up from the photograph of the parcel on the doorstep, but no knock on the door.

If the driver is dodgy then a package requiring a code would indicate that it's a valuable item, and therefore easier to target.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I nearly fell for it.
From GOV.UK
Welcome
We have noticed that your vehicle is no longer up to date with its current road tax.
This is the last (v11) reminder we will issue you.
Currently your vehicle is legally not allowed to be on the road.
You must fill out the form below in order to be up to standard with the DVLA legal requirements.​
Followed by a START NOW button, and I so nearly pressed the button because my car passed it's MOT last week and so the tax may be due.
Button takes you to ppt.cc/*******

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Hello everyone. Visiting my 89year old mum today. Phone rang so I picked it up. An American woman said she had booked the flight to Miami and my mother now owed her $500 dollars. This was to be paid immediately and she wanted to know the bank details WTF??? Needless to say what my response was.

"When is the next possible flight to Miami?"

Messi plays up the road in pink kit. But better to fly to Ft Lauderdale, truly.

Inter Miami vs. Orlando City MLS Highlights | FOX Soccer​

Lionel Messi, Luis Suárez and Jordi Alba faced off against Luis Muriel and Orlando City. Check out the top moments and highlights here!​

6 HOURS AGO・MLS・4:59

Messi 2 goals, Suarez 2 goals and some dude named Robert Taylor only scored 1 goal.

Inter Miami 5 - 0 Orlando City

MLS MLS Inter Miami CF Inter Miami CF Orlando Orlando Luis Muriel Luis Muriel Lionel Messi Lionel Messi Jordi Alba Jordi AlbaMLS - Inter Miami CF vs. Orlando City SC - 03/02/2024

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
I had a weird one the other day via SMS, not quite sure what the scam was and couldn't be arsed to play along, apart from not wanting some poor sod to be waiting at the station in the cold. Anyone have something similar?

1709448799272.png

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I had a weird one the other day via SMS, not quite sure what the scam was and couldn't be arsed to play along, apart from not wanting some poor sod to be waiting at the station in the cold. Anyone have something similar?

View attachment 177879
Funny you should mention this. I watched last weeks' "Last Week Tonight with John Oliver" and he covered a scam like this. Apparently it's called 'Pig Butchering' https://mashable.com/video/john-oliver-pig-butchering-online-scam - There is a video in the article of the segment of the show, but it is geo-locked, so you'd need to be in America (or VPN as America) to watch it.

It starts with a 'wrong number' message, with the intent to draw you into a conversation, sometimes they have done some research of your socials claiming they have experienced things like you have to bond and form a relationship with you. Then eventually tempt you in to signing up to an app that will supposedly make you money. You wouldn't give the stranger money, but as Oliver pointed out, if an app is involved you feel more comfortable - you'd never get in a strangers car and let them know your house is empty for the night, but involve an app and you're in an Uber!) But the app is just taking your money and giving it to them, while making it look like you're making money on nfts or crypto markets. If you try to take the money out, there is a 'tax fee'.

The segment also highlights that a lot of people running the scams are victims themselves - people who have been trafficked to Myanmar and are being forced by criminal gangs to work these scams to try to earn their freedom.

This is an article on the scam

Last edited:

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA

Here is at least the text of the story.​

John Oliver takes a deep dive into a murky online crypto scam​

A wrong number, an app, and all your money gone.

By Sam Haysom on February 26, 2024

There are no shortage of phishing scams online, but in the latest episode of Last Week Tonight, John Oliver zones in on one that's increasingly prevalent: "pig butchering". It's a type of financial scam that involves befriending the victim and encouraging them to invest money via a fake app.

As Oliver explains in the video above, this type of scam typically involves victims being pointed towards what looks like a reputable trading platform, but results in any money invested being lost. Depressingly, Oliver explains that many of the "scammers" on the other end of the phone are themselves victims of human trafficking by criminal gangs.

"Perhaps the most effective way to stop this from happening is to make it less lucrative by having fewer people fall for it," Oliver concludes. "That is where awareness of this scam is key. This is one of those rare cases where raising awareness is in itself genuinely useful."

His main piece of advice? "As a general rule, when a stranger on a dating app says either 'I love you' or 'crypto' within a month of talking to you — worry."

Topics John Oliver

Sam Haysom is the Deputy UK Editor for Mashable. He covers entertainment and online culture, and writes horror fiction in his spare time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here