Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The rise of gamesmanship ...

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
For once, I find myself agreeing with Sean Dyche!

"Harry Kane is a great pro but some of it leaves you scratching your head."

"It was a big drama over nothing. It is worrying to me when I see the physio concussion-testing him after that. Really? Come on."

"The strange thing about football is that on one night you have a player who, in theory, is very close to getting a broken ankle and nothing is said, and another gets a broken eyelash and it's like the world is going to end," said Dyche.

Let's not give the fragile Harry Kane a chance to get up to these antics tomorrow!!! If he does ... then we need to let him know what we think ...

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
For once, I find myself agreeing with Sean Dyche!

"Harry Kane is a great pro but some of it leaves you scratching your head."

"It was a big drama over nothing. It is worrying to me when I see the physio concussion-testing him after that. Really? Come on."

"The strange thing about football is that on one night you have a player who, in theory, is very close to getting a broken ankle and nothing is said, and another gets a broken eyelash and it's like the world is going to end," said Dyche.

Let's not give the fragile Harry Kane a chance to get up to these antics tomorrow!!! If he does ... then we need to let him know what we think ...

See similar comments in the Guardian's reporting of Dyche's press conference.

As ever, Dyche is good value for money in his press conference, and as is so often the case, makes very valid points. Can't say that I am such a fan of his team's tactics, but I admire the fact that he is prepared to stand up and say what he believes to be right.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/apr/06/everton-sean-dyche-spurs--harry-kane-gamesmanship

Last edited:

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
In any sport, particularly with high stakes, boundaries will be pushed and rules bent. For F1 the FIA are forever fining culprits and tweeking the laws. The FA and HMRC would do well to follow their lead.
Yes, I see legal tax avoidance as a sport ...

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007

As ever, Dyche is good value for money in his press conference, and as is so often the case, makes very valid points. Can't say that I am such a fan of his team's tactics, but I admire the fact that he is prepared to stand up and say what he believes to be right.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/apr/06/everton-sean-dyche-spurs--harry-kane-gamesmanship
Dyche is a hypocritcal twat

How the hell he can blather on like this - when a few years back he's defending Barton trying to knock out and then break Kayal's leg.

Tosser

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Dyche is a hypocritcal twat

How the hell he can blather on like this - when a few years back he's defending Barton trying to knock out and then break Kayal's leg.

Tosser
Very surprisingly, given how dirty we always thought Burnley were, I believe they had the fewest or at least one of fewest red cards the last season Dyche managed them.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
British players/clubs didn’t cheat 35 years ago, in terms of faux injuries, screaming and parachute rolls defying physics. But it was endemic in Germany, Italy and Spain. Klinsmann and others brought it here in the 90’s, no doubt coaches too.

Watch the German’s reaction to Gazza’s infamous challenge. 19:30:

The worst thing for me is cowardly/££££ ex-players refusing to call it out. 15 years ago I recall Shearer calling it disgraceful. Now, to keep his job he trots out “Well, the challenge invited the …..”. Collymore might be the last man standing in calling cheating what it is. The others don’t want to jeopardise the gravy train.

Last edited:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Yeah it’s really annoying seeing teams milking the head injury rule isn’t it, Sean Dyche?

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta

If I was certain that none of his players had ever done something similar, I would have real respect for him.
Sadly, it´s always the other team at fault.

Sepulveda

Notts County's younger cousins' fan
Mar 19, 2023
Northern Italy
For F1 the FIA are forever fining culprits and tweeking the laws
Yeah the FIA are not exactly an example to look up to given how much of a mess of things they make.

Regarding the thread in general, I don't have much to say :lolol: 🇮🇹 Italian fans regularly get mad at opposing players who cheat, too, though.

I do appreciate tactical fouls or sneaky (not career-ending) micro-aggressions from defenders (like Romero pulling Cucurella's hair during the corner) much more than I appreciate diving, and I think most Italians feel the same. Defenders using "dark arts" is definitely way less despised by fans than forwards flopping to the ground. It's something that happens though, particularly in tight, high-stakes games. Not pleasant, but understandable and can have consequences - if you do it blatantly you get a yellow for simulation (or time wasting), which I think should be used more by refs.

Blues Guitarist

Oct 19, 2020
St Johann in Tirol
I do appreciate tactical fouls or sneaky (not career-ending) micro-aggressions from defenders (like Romero pulling Cucurella's hair during the corner) ...
If Sepulveda joined NSC to follow the exploits of De Zerbi, how does he know about an obscure event that happened in a Brighton match the previous season?

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
The worst thing for me is cowardly/££££ ex-players refusing to call it out. 15 years ago I recall Shearer calling it disgraceful. Now, to keep his job he trots out “Well, the challenge invited the …..”. Collymore might be the last man standing in calling cheating what it is. The others don’t want to jeopardise the gravy train.
One of the (many) reasons I can't be bothered to watch any post match analysis ... except maybe when we've won and I want to see what they have to say about us and watch some of the passing moves they don't always show during the initial highlights. They just pay lip service and get rewarded for doing so!

Last edited:

Sepulveda

Notts County's younger cousins' fan
Mar 19, 2023
Northern Italy
If Sepulveda joined NSC to follow the exploits of De Zerbi, how does he know about an obscure event that happened in a Brighton match the previous season?
It was a highly amusing episode that was shared all over social media even outside the UK; at the time I had no idea who Cucurella was (I still know him only vaguely) but it stuck with me given how funny it was, and I thought I'd mention that to you because it regards the PL

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here