Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The right time for major investment in the team?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I would expect nothing less from the club than to do all of those things that Barber says, and I hope we do. But it certainly doesn't rule out TB investing more money in the club when the time is right to do so.

You’ve outlined the club needs “major”investment in the title of the thread- you’ve suggested doubling the salary of key players and that this close season is the right time to do this- with all the knock on effects that would entail. The club - Ie: Bloom - clearly says - in a statement from only weeks ago - that their strategy (which you could discern from their contract/transfer strategy over the last few years) is however to reduce their reliance on Bloom’s funding. My reading of that is that doubling the salary of key players is thus very unlikely - hence would require someone other than TB - and also very much the wrong approach. You don’t. And won’t outline how this will happen other than Bloom will just increase his investment. Fair enough.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
You’ve outlined the club needs “major”investment in the title of the thread- you’ve suggested doubling the salary of key players and that this close season is the right time to do this- with all the knock on effects that would entail. The club - Ie: Bloom - clearly says - in a statement from only weeks ago - that their strategy (which you could discern from their contract/transfer strategy over the last few years) is however to reduce their reliance on Bloom’s funding. My reading of that is that doubling the salary of key players is thus very unlikely - hence would require someone other than TB - and also very much the wrong approach. You don’t. And won’t outline how this will happen other than Bloom will just increase his investment. Fair enough.

Indeed.

TB is keeping it cool. The idea that the club should be less dependent on him is perfectly sensible.

The main way for the club to improve its position is to stay sound and await the inevitable - the regulation of the football economy, which at one point or another will need to happen somehow (stronger FFP or salary caps or whatever).

Joining the oligarchs and oil states in a money race could end very, very badly unless you're in the same position... and since Brighton is not a big city and the club is not some big, historical, worldwide known brand, it is unlikely that some Abdullovich is going to buy the club and invest a fortune in it.

TB imo is doing the sensible thing and I think at some point the football bubble is going to burst (it will still be dirty money but the eternal growth won't go on) and any club being anywhere near sustainable at that point will be in a great position.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

No, I really never said that we 'needed' major investment. Reread my post. We don't need it, but that's not to say that it isn't a smart tactical move to invest more now.

We absolutely should move towards less reliance on TBs funding, but perhaps paradoxically, that can happen in parallel with more funding from TB or other investors. The way to reduce this reliance is to increase revenues, this can come from player sales of course, but also from greater and more sustained success, and the prize money, advertising, media and sales revenues that would accompany that. I would posit that neither of these options is obviously more sustainable or safer than the other. And they're not mutually exclusive options, more success generates more valuable player assets.

Coming off the back of our most successful season ever, now could be tactically and strategically a good time to invest, which can then lead to less reliance on external investment in future. Obviously it requires that investment to be available, not arguing that. But if it is, or can be sought, strengthening from a position of strength could pay handsome dividends over the next decade.

Of course, there is a strong argument that this is what TB has been doing for ages anyway. Club is in good hands.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Can someone show me a time when Tony Bloom wasn't significantly investing in the club?

Bloom Investment.jpg

Attachments

• Bloom Investment.jpg
    Bloom Investment.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 47

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Can someone show me a time when Tony Bloom wasn't significantly investing in the club?

View attachment 148612

Absolutely. And for the avoidance of any lingering doubt, this is most definitely not a ' put your hand in your pocket Bloom' thread - his contribution and commitment is incredible. No, I'm just talking about a significant increase in the rate of investment, that would spike on that graph, ie a pushing the chips in kind of move - not in a desperate gamble sense, but knowing your sitting on a great hand and it's time to raise the stakes. That's probably not a bad analogy for this thread.

I've no idea at all if TB has that ability or desire, but if he does, or has a trusted partner who wants to, do we have the flexibility under FFP to do so, and thus can it take us to another level without compromising sustainability? Or are we too far back from the next echelon of clubs to be able to hold onto stars regardless of increase in wages spending, and thus any major investment at this point in time could easily be wasted?

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003

View attachment 148612

Oh, one more question - we know that in the championship that investment was needed to cover losses - but in the Premier, is that extra £30m a season more about club/squad development rather than covering running costs? Obviously the two are linked, but in simple terms, is this investment not really 'needed', but is being done to make us better?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here