Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
IMG_2590.jpeg

#ColdWarSteve

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I get that you feel that a lot of these politics threads tend to be “variations on a theme” - but (assuming you’ve read the article the OP has linked to) is this not pretty breathtaking?

A serving Home Secretary of the United Kingdom has announced her intention to try and prevent/restrict the issue of tents by charities to homeless people, our most vulnerable.

I have known plenty of Conservative voters in my time, and not one of them would consider this a sane or desirable idea without first having solved the outstanding issues of housing availability and affordability.
Agree. A reasonable post. She's talking through her arse. There's nothing wrong with tents (though there is a whole lot wrong that people need to live in them). Still, this thread undoubtedly will (or has) become another place for NSC government bashing. It is what it is. It is NSC (or at least it is for a lot of NSCers).

Last edited:

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
NSC is so much a nicer place on days we win matches rather than draw or lose them - or get shafted by VAR.:rant:

🙂

Only Cruella could find a way to take away something from people who have nothing but the skins on their backs - those tents were given to homeless people by charities because it reduced the risk of hyperthermia -

1699141421293.gif

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Cruella mentioned them - you know, the person mentioned in the thread title. Why so defensive? "Get a grip" indeed. :)
Because you were nit-picking a stupid point. The Government wasn't mentioned in the thread title, neither were the homeless. What point are you trying to make by stupidly and pointlessly nit-picking?

Someone hacking your agenda?

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Agree. A reasonable post. There's nothing wrong with tents (though there is a whole lot wrong that people need to live in them). Still, this thread undoubtedly will (or has) become another place for NSC government bashing. It is what it is. It is NSC (or at least it is for a lot of NSCers).
It almost feels as though you'd like it to become one, just so you could say, "I told you so".
However, as it hasn't happened (so far), maybe your fears are unfounded?

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Because you were nit-picking a stupid point. The Government wasn't mentioned in the thread title, neither were the homeless. What point are you trying to make by stupidly and pointlessly nit-picking?

Someone hacking your agenda?
*sigh* You were the one that brought up the 'government bashing' thing. The homeless and Braverman's comments are the subject of the thread.
I have no agenda, but you seem to have a bee in your bonnet about something.
No matter.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Outside of NSC I often get criticised for using the word vile when describing people, but I can't think of a better word to describe this far right oddball who has no place in public life.

That said, they are one of the major reasons the Conservatives will lose the next election very badly and paradoxically may become leader in opposition.

I really don't get them anymore and why they think a far right populist approach in the UK will win them an election.

Younger and new time voters are appalled with them.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Outside of NSC I often get criticised for using the word vile when describing people, but I can't think of a better word to describe this far right oddball who has no place in public life.

That said, they are one of the major reasons the Conservatives will lose the next election very badly and paradoxically may become leader in opposition.

I really don't get them anymore and why they think a far right populist approach in the UK will win them an election.

Younger and new time voters are appalled with them
Careful now....no government bashing here. :D

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Agree. A reasonable post. She's talking through her arse. There's nothing wrong with tents (though there is a whole lot wrong that people need to live in them). Still, this thread undoubtedly will (or has) become another place for NSC government bashing. It is what it is. It is NSC (or at least it is for a lot of NSCers).

Perhaps some of their supporters can balance the ledger and start some positive threads about the fantastic work they have done over the last 10 or so years.

Or is that what we have the cheer leading right-wing press for?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

Younger and new time voters are appalled with them.
To be fair it is a strategy that has served them well in the past.

Last I saw they still have 25% of the vote so a few well timed crumbs, scandals placed in their media mouth pieces and carefully targeted social media campaigns (al a Cambridge Analytica) and a result may be possible.

You may have noticed that I have lost any faith I had in the UK electorate, very much hoping to be proven wrong.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
What a detestable person she is. In fact evil and twisted.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
To be fair it is a strategy that has served them well in the past.
I have to disagree. They've only lurched this far to the right in opposition, so I think it's a particular odd strategy.

Johnson for all his faults (should never have been anyway near public office) was politically quite liberal.

There is a sizeable degree of the population that will always vote Tory, I grew up in one of those areas. Any discussion of how bad how bad the government is will always get talked down with fear of Labour. The Blair era is rarely mentioned, its all about the 1970s and the excesses of the Thatcher Government didn't touch those areas.

Those sort of people are relatively irrelevant in winning the elections under our system. just as are those round me who will always vote Labour.

It's those voters who are willing to flip between the the left and right who get a party in. The Conservatives strategy appears to ignore them and they appear to mainly focussed on their core hardcore vote.

They will fail with this strategy. You them over with giving them hope, not by attempting to frighten them with the alternative if the alternative isn't actually that frightening.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
It genuinely does seem she tries to say controversial things to see how far she can push it before she gets the boot. A truly horrible woman
It is essential to take up as much media space with controversial, culture wars rhetoric, rather than allow any focus on the state of the nation.

They need the next election to be fought on these issues and not the economy.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I have to disagree. They've only lurched this far to the right in opposition, so I think it's a particular odd strategy.

Johnson for all his faults (should never have been anyway near public office) was politically quite liberal.

There is a sizeable degree of the population that will always vote Tory, I grew up in one of those areas. Any discussion of how bad how bad the government is will always get talked down with fear of Labour. The Blair era is rarely mentioned, its all about the 1970s and the excesses of the Thatcher Government didn't touch those areas.

Those sort of people are relatively irrelevant in winning the elections under our system. just as are those round me who will always vote Labour.

It's those voters who are willing to flip between the the left and right who get a party in. The Conservatives strategy appears to ignore them and they appear to mainly focussed on their core hardcore vote.

They will fail with this strategy. You them over with giving them hope, not by attempting to frighten them with the alternative if the alternative isn't actually that frightening.
This strategy is to stop them getting crushed in the next election, not to win it.

The SNP has imploded in Scotland.
The red wall victories that Bojo commandeered with his oven-baked Brexit are heading back to Labour.

The state of the economy should be enough to prevent large chunks of their traditional support from voting for them.
Keeping the economy away from the front pages is their only hope of avoiding annihilation in the GE.

FIVESTEPS

Nov 3, 2014
Talking to a bloke on the sea front and he decided he had enough of living in a house and signed everything over to his wife and took to the road.He is still local and I had a chat with him on Friday appreciate he is in the minority but for some it is a lifestyle choice.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here