Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The ref yesterday....

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I thought it was quite controversial to award us a free kick deep in our own half when Glenn Murray was through, one-on-one with the keeper. I got quite cross.

Bit of an odd decision that, and the only really bad one I can remember from the match.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Why are so many questioning the penalty decision?

I suggest you load up player, forward to around 9:12 and watch the replay from the byline camera.

Clumsy and got none of the ball.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
The one against Akpom when he was having his shirt pulled off was unbelievable.

Was that when the Burton player ended up on the floor, looked like Akpom used his strength to shrug off a challenge and the ref gave Burton a free kick?

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Was that when the Burton player ended up on the floor, looked like Akpom used his strength to shrug off a challenge and the ref gave Burton a free kick?

Yes. He was trying to pull Akpom's shirt off to prevent him breaking away and he was just too strong for him. It was 100% a free kick to us.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Yes. He was trying to pull Akpom's shirt off to prevent him breaking away and he was just too strong for him. It was 100% a free kick to us.

Hard to see what exactly happened from where I sit, I wasn't sure if Akpom used his hands to shove the defender.
I did think Akpom looked too strong there and at the time it wasn't a free kick to them.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I would describe him as just average. Ours was definitely a pen but a stupid tackle. The disallowed advantage for Murray was bad and couldn't really see their pen claim. To be honest though, there weren't any real flashpoints that could have tested his mettle.

As for time added on, there was one minute in the first half when AK had been down for longer than that. As regards subs and goals, I think the general rule is 30 secs for each but we made our subs in one go so not really justified to add 90 seconds for that. That said, if it were ever timed, I would suggest refs get it completely wrong every time by some margin.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Bit of an odd decision that, and the only really bad one I can remember from the match.

In the first half, a Burton player went through the back of Stephens, which was totally ignored. I was shouting out about that tackle/foul.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I would describe him as just average. Ours was definitely a pen but a stupid tackle. The disallowed advantage for Murray was bad and couldn't really see their pen claim. To be honest though, there weren't any real flashpoints that could have tested his mettle.

As for time added on, there was one minute in the first half when AK had been down for longer than that. As regards subs and goals, I think the general rule is 30 secs for each but we made our subs in one go so not really justified to add 90 seconds for that. That said, if it were ever timed, I would suggest refs get it completely wrong every time by some margin.

Exactly. I would be surprised if there's ever 45 minutes of football in a half, even when injury time is added on. Even games like Brentford last Sunday, when there was seven minutes of injury time, still probably didn't end up with 45 minutes of play in the half.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Exactly. I would be surprised if there's ever 45 minutes of football in a half, even when injury time is added on. Even games like Brentford last Sunday, when there was seven minutes of injury time, still probably didn't end up with 45 minutes of play in the half.

Considering whoever it was sat down in his penalty box for over 6 minutes waiting for their sub to be ready i'd say that's an understatement. Couple minutes later another one decided to take his load off just as knocky was about to swing in another cross. That's before you factor in standard added time and substitutions throughout the second half.

Was easily 10+ minutes but ref bottled it and/or was tired. Made their manager's comments even more amusing.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Considering whoever it was sat down in his penalty box for over 6 minutes waiting for their sub to be ready i'd say that's an understatement. Couple minutes later another one decided to take his load off just as knocky was about to swing in another cross. That's before you factor in standard added time and substitutions throughout the second half.

Was easily 10+ minutes but ref bottled it and/or was tired. Made their manager's comments even more amusing.

Agreed. If their manager seriously didn't know where that much injury time came from, he probably needs to actually watch the game.

Langley

Mar 10, 2008
Waltham Chase, Hants

They did not all go on at the same time, each one was individually checked one at a time, hence should have equated to 90 secs.Apart from that agree with the rest of your post.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Agreed. If their manager seriously didn't know where that much injury time came from, he probably needs to actually watch the game.

Well there were 5 goals & a penalty just for starters that's at least 3 minutes allowing 30 seconds per event. maximum substitutions from both sides and it's easily 6 minutes without thinking about it.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I noticed the spray can every free kick, then noticed the same on TV at all the games. Must have been a memo from above "The government are going to check us out, make sure every ref uses their spray can".

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Another contentious situation is the 10yd rule.

Perhaps the ref can carry a mini version of the American Football chain markers (like the old-style bricklayers line). Dig it into the ground and mark the point with the spray ten yards hence.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
It worried me when he ran up to spray mark the free kicks. Looked like he was about to book someone as he reached for his can

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here