Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The problem with kids today...

Prof P

Sep 22, 2004
My twin boys, 4, start after school football next week and I'm now tasked with getting them a football shirt each. I always presumed there would be a dilemma when it got to this stage. Would you...

a) let them choose their own team
b) encourage them to support your local club (currently Charlton or Milwall) or
c) make them support the Albion

Trouble with A is that one of them has decided on supporting Man united. That's not going to happen so he's going to get a red england shirt until I can talk some sense into him. Although the other one has accepted he's getting a Brighton shirt, I can't say he's fully committed since he told the class about it and his teacher said 'but aren't Brighton rubbish?' (f*** you, Mrs Featherstone)

As his support is pretty brittle at the moment I'm loathed shell out £30+. So two things I'd like to ask...

1. where can I get a cheep or second hand brighton shirt for a 4 year old? There's nothing on ebay, amazon, gumtree. It doesn't have top be 11/13 season but it can't be that abomination of an away strip and

2. Any advise on converting the United sympathiser?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
My twin boys, 4, start after school football next week and I'm now tasked with getting them a football shirt each. I always presumed there would be a dilemma when it got to this stage. Would you...

Trouble with A is that one of them has decided on supporting Man united. That's not going to happen so he's going to get a red england shirt until I can talk some sense into him. Although the other one has accepted he's getting a Brighton shirt, I can't say he's fully committed since he told the class about it and his teacher said 'but aren't Brighton rubbish?' (f*** you, Mrs Featherstone)

As his support is pretty brittle at the moment I'm loathed shell out £30+. So two things I'd like to ask...

1. where can I get a cheep or second hand brighton shirt for a 4 year old? There's nothing on ebay, amazon, gumtree. It doesn't have top be 11/13 season but it can't be that abomination of an away strip and

If you can get there - try the AITC charity shop in George Street. Loads of old Albion stuff in there.

Oh, and have the Utd one adopted.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

Sell the first child. Make a false allegation of cruelty and violence against the teacher.

Regarding the 'brittleness' of support, surely buying them an Albion shirt would STRENGTHEN their support...?

Dominoid

Albion fan in Devon
Jan 6, 2011
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Take them to a few matches. That's what got me supporting us as a littlun and that was when we were playing shit in the old third division!

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Not sure what ages they run for but long term send them to the AITC/Brighton football training sessions in the Summer.

Lush

Mods' Pet
I bet someone on here has got a home and away shirt (one for each twin) that their kids have grown out of, especially if you offered to meet at the game or pay the postage.

It's called BRAINWASHING.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
If you get them signed up to Gully's Gang, they each get sent a FREE current shirt*

*in three years' time on their 7th birthday....

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Get Miss Trunchbull to put them in the Chokey. That'll teach them.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Would you...

I've asked more experienced parents than me and some have let the children decide.

Idiots.

Who we ended up supporting was largely down to chance - who was driving to a game and would take us when we were the appropriate age for example. And it is more difficult for you, since you live in London.

For me, this is very easy. We live in Hove, I support the Albion, and my kids will have been supporting the Albion and willing them to win for years before they even realise there was a choice to make. My children will make their own way in life, but this isn't about getting the girl next door pregnant. This is far more important. This is football.

While it would be good for your kids to support a local team, how often do you go to the Amex? If you're an ST holder, and you want to regularly take them to games, then why not make them Albion fans? A good day out for you and your boys. If however, going to the Amex is the one break you get away from your family - er, still get them to support the Albion and take them to the odd game. If you're not an ST holder, take them to the odd game at the Amex.

It's c. Where's the poll?

Prof P

Sep 22, 2004
Hmmm. Good advise all round.

Incidentally, the good twin (not the evil one) picked this up at school, an anti United chant doing the rounds in the playground (to the tune of Deck the Halls)...

Man United are shortsighted, never scored a goal in history
Their defenders watch Eastenders
Tra la la la laaa, la laa laal laa

Children can be so cruel

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Now my serious answer:

C) MAKE them support the Albion

Sign them up pronto for Gullys Gang, so they get sent free stuff. Get them team posters. Take them to a game, or failing that just a visit to the stadium, to look round the shop, have a cake in the bar, etc.

When you feel they are old enough (about 6 in my lads' case) get them to some games, and before you know it they'll be hooked.

This is not just for their own good in football terms - this is going to be massively benficial to your future relationship with your sons. Right now, they are happy four year olds. They want hugs. They want you to read to them and play games with them. They actively want to spend time and share space with you.

However, before you know it they will be THIRTEEN. They will be surly young men, with their own lives and interests. They will not want a hug, or to spend much time with you. You will be of no interest to them, except as a source of money and lifts. You will have nothing in common, with them.

EXCEPT the Albion. My oldest is 13. He gets home from school, grunts, then hides in his room. When I get home, I tell him the Albion news, and its like flicking on a switch. Conversation started. Communication opened. Then every second Saturday, together with his brother, we've a whole day together, travelling to Brighton, grabbing a meal, ejnoying the game, celebrating the goals (the one moment when he still wants a hug!) and then dissecting the game afterwards on the drive home.

Start indocrinating now. You will never, ever regret it.

Last edited:

NickBHAFC18

Feb 24, 2012
Brighton
Now my serious answer:

C) MAKE them support the Albion

Sign them up pronto for Gullys Gang, so they get sent free stuff. Get them team posters. Take them to a game, or failing that just a visit to the stadium, to look round the shop, have a cake in the bar, etc.

When you feel they are old enough (about 6 in my lads' case) get them to some games, and before you know it they'll be hooked.

This is not just for their own good in football terms - this is going to be massively benficial to your future relationship with your sons. Right now, they are happy four year olds. They want hugs. They want you to read to them and play games with them. They actively want to spend time and space with you.

However, before you know it they will be THIRTEEN. They will be surly young men, with their own lives and interests. They will not want a hug, or to spend much time with you. You will be of no interest to them, except as a source of money and lifts. You will have nothing in common, with them.

EXCEPT the Albion. My oldest is 13. He gets home from school, grunts, then hides in his room. When I get home, I tell him the Albion news, and its like flicking on a switch. Conversation started. Communication opened. THen every second Saturday, together with his brother, we've a whole day together, travelling to the game, grabbing a meal, ejnoying the game, celebrating the goals (the one moment when he still wants a hug!) and then dissecting the game afterwards on the drive home.

Start indocrinating now. You will never, ever regret it.

Now that is an answer and a half..

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I know of a dad who tried to indoctrinate his three and half year old son into Chelsea. Got him the kit, lunchbox and even took him to a few games at Stamford Bridge as well as teaching him the names of the players. One year on, the son is much more interested in Doctor Who and going shopping with his mum than watch Chelsea on the TV. :lol:

Double Hard Bastard

Oct 16, 2006
a) Get them both Albion shirts.
b) Take them to a game.
c) Fire bomb Mrs Featherstones house

Enforce their Albion heritage on them. They'll thank you for it in the long run.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Done a poor job if one supports a northern team... Just get them each a shirt and take them to a game every now and then... watch the games with them and talk about the results... It will all bring back fond memeries when they are older and if they dont suppport brighton when they are young may convert when older.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Right now, they are happy four year olds. They want hugs. They want you to read to them and play games with them. They actively want to spend time and share space with you.

You've made me sad.
EXCEPT the Albion.
Exactly. That's my plan.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Hmmm. Good advise all round.

Incidentally, the good twin (not the evil one) picked this up at school, an anti United chant doing the rounds in the playground (to the tune of Deck the Halls)...

Man United are shortsighted, never scored a goal in history
Their defenders watch Eastenders
Tra la la la laaa, la laa laal laa

Children can be so cruel

Dylan-esque.

The rabbit, not the folkie.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here