Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Premier League Draft.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
The most decorated English footballer to have played abroad and dedicated Spice Boy. Twice voted Real Madrid's player of the year by the fans.

2 x La Liga titles and 2 x European Cup (or whatever it's called these days) wins, including a spectacular volley and MoM performance in the 2000 final.

View attachment 62921

Mr McManaman ... get in there you beauty!!
Bollocks

Cullip4

Oct 4, 2003
Brighton
Wow lost a lot of short listed players on that round of picks!!

Torn between two this time, one where I can think of four other players of a similar standard for that position ( no doubt he and all the others will be gone when it comes back around) and this one who I believe is the best remaining goalkeeper available.

In goal.... SHAY GIVEN!
[MENTION=5542]Horsham Gull[/MENTION] you're up again!

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I've never seen him play, but do you really think in the modern game he'd be able to cope with the attackers we have on display now? Imagine him vs. Ronaldo, Sanchez, Aguero, Ibrahimovic, Costa, Welbeck etc. He's got a huge gut on him and looks like any semi-quick player could get round him with ease, and still out strength him if needed.
But the criteria of voting is based on premier league history only not against a 2015 premier league. You could argue players like Shearer wouldn't score many goals against today's defenders and a player like Sanchez would never survive against a 1992 physical defence.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
But the criteria of voting is based on premier league history only not against a 2015 premier league. You could argue players like Shearer wouldn't score many goals against today's defenders and a player like Sanchez would never survive against a 1992 physical defence.

I'm glad you said this, I think a lot of people are losing perspective and are just picking the most fashionable players currently in the game. Sanchez, world class talent, has so far achieved jaff all in the Premier League, Bruce, won everything in club competition and he gets called out as a dodgy pick? Have a word

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
I'm glad you said this, I think a lot of people are losing perspective and are just picking the most fashionable players currently in the game. Sanchez, world class talent, has so far achieved jaff all in the Premier League, Bruce, won everything in club competition and he gets called out as a dodgy pick? Have a word

I feel I'm in the same place with Pallister and even Owen. Both are Premier League legends. I don't use that word lightly.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I feel I'm in the same place with Pallister and even Owen. Both are Premier League legends. I don't use that word lightly.
I think it's a generational thing tbh, I had Pallister pencilled in to my team (cheers for that) as he's an undisputed legend of a totally dominat team. I picked Schmeichel, the next pick was Cech and was announced as the undisputed greatest goalkeeper the PL has seen, I nearly spat my dinner out. The big Dane was a giant amongst men and has an honours list as long as a really long thing. I was chatting to a mate about this game yesterday, I said I'd picked Schmeichel and he immediately said " obviously, undisputed greatest goalkeeper the worlds ever seen, he was worth 20 points per season". This is going to be difficult.

Shatner's Bassoon

The Puff Pastry Hangman
Feb 12, 2012
I think it's a generational thing tbh, I had Pallister pencilled in to my team (cheers for that) as he's an undisputed legend of a totally dominat team. I picked Schmeichel, the next pick was Cech and was announced as the undisputed greatest goalkeeper the PL has seen, I nearly spat my dinner out. The big Dane was a giant amongst men and has an honours list as long as a really long thing. I was chatting to a mate about this game yesterday, I said I'd picked Schmeichel and he immediately said " obviously, undisputed greatest goalkeeper the worlds ever seen, he was worth 20 points per season". This is going to be difficult.

I've just decided to pick a team that I like, and never mind about the voting (although please vote for me, obviously). There certainly seem to be a few of us who rate the same sort of players anyway, so all is not lost.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I've just decided to pick a team that I like, and never mind about the voting (although please vote for me, obviously). There certainly seem to be a few of us who rate the same sort of players anyway, so all is not lost.
I'll be voting as per the draft rules, based on PL career, for example if it's between Sanchez and Sheringham there is only 1 winner in my mind.

Shatner's Bassoon

The Puff Pastry Hangman
Feb 12, 2012
I'll be voting as per the draft rules, based on PL career, for example if it's between Sanchez and Sheringham there is only 1 winner in my mind.

Well that's an easy one, although your example of Schmeichel/Cech starts to get a little bit more difficult (although to be clear, I agree with your conclusion 100%).

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Cech on ratio has a clean sheet once every 0.5 games, that's more than any other premier league goalkeeper EVER, and he's played more games than the big Dane.

Cech has 3 titles, 4 FA cups, 2 league cups, 2 Shields, a champions league and a europa title.

Peter has 5 titles, 3 FA cups, 1 league cup, 4 Shields, a champions league and a super cup.

To say it's worth spitting your dinner out over is a good example of the possibility of nostalgia running amok over the competition as well as current players being in fashion.

Rohana

I'm.Actually.Dead.
Feb 16, 2010
Shoreham-By-Sea
Just found a HUMDINGER of a player, only four picks before my go too.

*fingers crossed*

Shatner's Bassoon

The Puff Pastry Hangman
Feb 12, 2012
I think something that needs to be considered is impact. So, for example, to take Cristiano Ronaldo and Eric Cantona. Who was the better player? Clearly Ronaldo. But Cantona gave a real momentum to Man Utd becoming the dominant force in the Premier League over the period 1992-2013. So I would say, personally, that Cantona was in fact the greater Premier League player.

Of course both of those players are among the best in Premier League history by any standards, and you could make a case for either of them. That's why I picked it as an example.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
I think something that needs to be considered is impact. So, for example, to take Cristiano Ronaldo and Eric Cantona. Who was the better player? Clearly Ronaldo. But Cantona gave a real momentum to Man Utd becoming the dominant force in the Premier League over the period 1992-2013. So I would say, personally, that Cantona was in fact the greater Premier League player.

Of course both of those players are among the best in Premier League history by any standards, and you could make a case for either of them. That's why I picked it as an example.

I can see where you're coming from entirely, which is why this is gonna be a can of worms when it comes to the decision making process. Given this boards general age group etc I think the teams with alot of oder generation players in it are going to storm past teams that arguably have the better squad, which is why I'm in this for the fun of the picks and not the winning of the votes, I loved our first one and this one is great so far, gutted McManaman and Speed have gone though, despite being under 25 myself :D

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Cech on ratio has a clean sheet once every 0.5 games, that's more than any other premier league goalkeeper EVER, and he's played more games than the big Dane.

Cech has 3 titles, 4 FA cups, 2 league cups, 2 Shields, a champions league and a europa title.

Peter has 5 titles, 3 FA cups, 1 league cup, 4 Shields, a champions league and a super cup.

To say it's worth spitting your dinner out over is a good example of the possibility of nostalgia running amok over the competition as well as current players being in fashion.

According to Wikipedia Cech is still 20 games behind Schmeichel. Anyway, I appreciate your point but in my opinion when looking at 2 keepers so closely matched I'd still go for PS Schmeichel as he's won 2 more Premier League titles.

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
It was Pallister or Bruce for my next pick, you helped me decide which one

I do hope I'm picking players that other people want! It seems to be happening a lot to me recently!

Shuggie

Sep 19, 2003
East Sussex coast
Wahey, it's obviously getting serious as I just received my first thumbs down :lol:

I got downed (#198) for picking Les Ferdinand. Who'd have thought?

Although it probably had more to do with my bitchy comments about his brother Rio to be honest.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here