Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Pre-match trains tonight

Utter Chaos. Went for a drink in Lewes tried to get train from 6.30 pm, waited 30 minutes, could not get on the first one, waited 10 minutes for the next one, just got on but loads left behind, trains only had 3 carriages, got to Falmer 7.20 pm, so anyone leaving from Lewes after about 6.45 pm has little chance of getting to the game on time. Last time I tried the trains in the evening last season it was a total shambles again. It has got so bad it is not even worth trying to go to the game by Train for an evening game anymore

or just go earlier???

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Is that it? How on earth can someone falling over and breaking leg when getting off at Newhaven cause such carnage? I can't even see why it would lead to any disruption whatsoever?

The only explanation I can buy is total ineptitude

Agree. It seems that with the slightest excuse possible Southern get their white flags out and roll down the shutters

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Think yourself lucky if you're only relying on Southern to get to an evening football match half a dozen times a year, rather than for getting to work every day......

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I was stuck at Brighton too. On the way back, the usually well organised team didn't let enough people on to the platform - when the train arrived, they let a bundle more through, but the rear carriages were still half empty when we left. Shambles.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
its simple. all the club needs to do is shell out about £25m for a couple of 8 car trains to replace those on the Brighton-Newhaven line and lease them to Southern. they can employ Enrest to oversee this rail franchise, named Seagulls Old Drivers Service, who will find a group of the old boys who know what they're doing to make sure theres never any breakdowns or delays (leg breakage or other accident victims will be dropped off for the 999 lot to deal with).

Last edited:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
or just go earlier???

Did you read the post ? Leaving Lewes 75 minutes before kick off with a 10 minute train ride you would hope you might get to the ground on time. When do you suggest people leave 2 hours before, 3 hours before, 4 hours before, 5 hours before, a day before ?

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
Also as usual when trains were been filled up, people standing by the doors weren't moving down the carriages and then getting the arse when they were asked politely to let other fans on.

I've often wondered about this. Why do people insist on blocking this area? On the way home on Friday there were even seats available when the bit by the door was rammed solid!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Utter Chaos. Went for a drink in Lewes tried to get train from 6.30 pm, waited 30 minutes, could not get on the first one, waited 10 minutes for the next one, just got on but loads left behind, trains only had 3 carriages, got to Falmer 7.20 pm, so anyone leaving from Lewes after about 6.45 pm has little chance of getting to the game on time. Last time I tried the trains in the evening last season it was a total shambles again. It has got so bad it is not even worth trying to go to the game by Train for an evening game anymore

We very rarely have problems from Newhaven. The problem is that when there is a problem on that line, it snarls up everything as Seaford only uses one platform, so any delay has a knock on effect.
On an evening game, we travel in by train, but going home, we've found it easier to catch the train into Brighton, and then the 12/12A from outside the station.

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
Wasn't too bad coming in from the east with a direct train to Falmer on the Hastings line and going back, fortuitously, the London - Hastings train was delayed so caught that and got home 45 mins or so earlier than expected. Even so, give me Saturday afternoon/evening train travel any day.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Agree. It seems that with the slightest excuse possible Southern get their white flags out and roll down the shutters

Yup, slightest incident of any kind and they just seem to switch into downtime mode and throw away the timetable for the rest of the day. You can almost imagine them looking forward to that bit of a breather from the pressure of having to try to run the trains on time.

That's exactly the message that will discourage people from imagining that it's possible to get to Falmer from Lewes on the evening of a football match. Excellent work, US.

I could, of course, translate your message into the simple suggestion that folk should just turn up at Lewes and expect to get the second train out of the station and arrive at the ground in time for a beer before the game. That is, after all, what you did on Friday, as indeed did I.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Luckily i am working local, which has previously not been the case, so i got there early. I could see problems as early as 17-30, the train times were not up on the boards.
Apparently the queues stretched nearly to the Railway Bell later on.
For those that state you should get there earlier, for some it is not possible.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
That's exactly the message that will discourage people from imagining that it's possible to get to Falmer from Lewes on the evening of a football match. Excellent work, US.

I could, of course, translate your message into the simple suggestion that folk should just turn up at Lewes and expect to get the second train out of the station and arrive at the ground in time for a beer before the game. That is, after all, what you did on Friday, as indeed did I.

This is down to southern rail and not me if people don't go

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Is that it? How on earth can someone falling over and breaking leg when getting off at Newhaven cause such carnage? I can't even see why it would lead to any disruption whatsoever?

Then you're just not thinking it through. I don't know the details of this incident but...person falls off train at Newhaven. Guard attends to person who has broken his leg. Guard cannot leave this person until at least emergency services arrive and possibly beyond as a duty of care to passengers. Train cannot go anywhere without the guard on this line. Train behind blocks one line at Lewes and train behind that cannot get through Lewes. Guard and driver of the first affected train at Newhaven may have then been scheduled to work the next eastbound train from Brighton but are still stuck at Newhaven so that train is cancelled OR may legally be required to take their break when they finally get back to Brighton so they can't work their next train. So, within a few minutes on a very crowded network at a very busy time you have trains and staff at the wrong place at the wrong time and chaos descends very quickly.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Then you're just not thinking it through. I don't know the details of this incident but...person falls off train at Newhaven. Guard attends to person who has broken his leg. Guard cannot leave this person until at least emergency services arrive and possibly beyond as a duty of care to passengers. Train cannot go anywhere without the guard on this line. Train behind blocks one line at Lewes and train behind that cannot get through Lewes. Guard and driver of the first affected train at Newhaven may have then been scheduled to work the next eastbound train from Brighton but are still stuck at Newhaven so that train is cancelled OR may legally be required to take their break when they finally get back to Brighton so they can't work their next train. So, within a few minutes on a very crowded network at a very busy time you have trains and staff at the wrong place at the wrong time and chaos descends very quickly.

Or as I explained earlier if there were adequate spare stock and crew available then trains would be stepped up and no or just minimal disruption for the punters

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here