Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The post-Barnsley Barnes-haters thread

TrevorDove

Jan 4, 2004
Brighton
Where is Withdean Wanderer with his alternative opinion?

Probably gone to Sainsburys with mummy to get his packed lunch for the week or is tossing himself off over last night's x factor.

Besides this.

Thought Barnes was excellent yesterday and would much rather him be in our team than the opposition.

The fact he scores and creates goals means he is a key player for us, long may his former continue
:rave:

xenophon

speed of life
Jul 11, 2009
BR8
There are some total f***ing dickheads on this thread, like Ashley Barnes worries about what some pot-bellied fuckwits in the stands think about his ability as a footballer? The only man who counts - Gus Poyet - rates him, so shove that up your arse

Get a f***ing clue

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Funny thing is reading this and the match ratings thread, as much as people quote "Barnes haters" its clear there are so many blinkered views who can see no wrong in Ashley by saying he scored 4 goals! He didn't, he got 2. The other two was a shot and a header that were going wide. But hey, lets not see what really happened, lets see what we want to see.

The first was one of the easiest goals he'll ever score thanks to Gonzo, but the fifth was a superb finish.

And before you think I'm being negative towards him, I'm no, I'm just saying it like I saw it. Goal one - Lucky. Assist one - mis hit shot going wide. Assist two - diving header going wide. Goal two - brilliant finish Wayne Rooney would have been proud of.

And saying it as I saw it, I thought it was a toss up between Noone and Barnes for man of the match, probably edged by Barnes for this second goal. Even taking away the goals and assists, I thought Barnes had one of the best , if not the best game I have seen him play for us. Only one blot, picking up a silly yellow card, but if he puts a performance like that in, who cares about a silly booking!

If he can keep that level of performance up, I agree he will be a legend, but lets not get carried away. He's been below average in the first three games this season, but I truely hope this is a kick start to his and our season, but I'm not getting carried away just yet, because I thought we were better on Tuesday despite drawing a blank, and if that is how Barnsley are going to be this season, then Palace have got a lot of competetion for the wooden spoon this year.

Just about sums i up for me, spot on. Barnsley are probably the weakest side that is going to visit the Amex this season, lets get some perspective on this. We haven't just spanked 5 past Blackburn. Never the less a great team performance.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I've moaned a fair bit in the past about Barnes. Today he had a great game, fair play to him. He needs to do it week in week out though, that's always my gripe - too hot and cold

that very inconsistent player

TOP SCORER

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Funny thing is reading this and the match ratings thread, as much as people quote "Barnes haters" its clear there are so many blinkered views who can see no wrong in Ashley by saying he scored 4 goals! He didn't, he got 2. The other two was a shot and a header that were going wide. But hey, lets not see what really happened, lets see what we want to see.

The first was one of the easiest goals he'll ever score thanks to Gonzo, but the fifth was a superb finish.

And before you think I'm being negative towards him, I'm no, I'm just saying it like I saw it. Goal one - Lucky. Assist one - mis hit shot going wide. Assist two - diving header going wide. Goal two - brilliant finish Wayne Rooney would have been proud of.

And saying it as I saw it, I thought it was a toss up between Noone and Barnes for man of the match, probably edged by Barnes for this second goal. Even taking away the goals and assists, I thought Barnes had one of the best , if not the best game I have seen him play for us. Only one blot, picking up a silly yellow card, but if he puts a performance like that in, who cares about a silly booking!

If he can keep that level of performance up, I agree he will be a legend, but lets not get carried away. He's been below average in the first three games this season, but I truely hope this is a kick start to his and our season, but I'm not getting carried away just yet, because I thought we were better on Tuesday despite drawing a blank, and if that is how Barnsley are going to be this season, then Palace have got a lot of competetion for the wooden spoon this year.

Don't like most of your posts, but this one I tend to agree with. Just calling stuff as I see it.

If you'd like to quote me where I have knocked his performance today, give it a try.

THERE'S A MARRIAGE MADE IN HEAVEN
Barnes really is rubbish
and I will reserve my judgement until..................oh no hang on a minute last season he was top scorer

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I don't think his first goal was lucky, as much as it was good positioning, quick reaction, and decent technique, considering his back was to the goal. CMS's first was lucky, vstanding in the way of someone else's shot and it deflecting in.

When I saw them, I thought both shots CMS stole(!) were heading in, kinda, I thought the second (the header) was probably too soft, and would have been saved, but was on target, thought the first was on target, will watch again on football league show.

Having seen the highlights:
-he was more side on for his first, but still had to be in the right place (and that is one of his biggest attributes, even if he doesn;'t always take shots, or get shots on target he is frequently in great positions)
-His shot for goal 3 took two deflections. One of the defender, then a second off CMS. I don't think there was enough space to tell if his initial shot was going on target, but the after the defender's deflection it on target.
-His header was just sneaking in the far post, if not touched.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
There are some total f***ing dickheads on this thread, like Ashley Barnes worries about what some pot-bellied fuckwits in the stands think about his ability as a footballer? The only man who counts - Gus Poyet - rates him, so shove that up your arse

Get a f***ing clue

very succinctly put mate

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Are you named after a term (used in the Scottish kilt hire industry) for dried semen on a returned hire kilt? Apparently it's a contraction of the words "spunk badge". If so, it would explain a lot.

:thumbsup:

great post

informative - succinct - appropriate

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Stupid thread, nobody wants Barnes to fail. I for one am delighted that he has done well again.
Nothing to be gained by being all smug and pretending you are a better supporter than anyone else.
Have any of you ever had a pop at a player that you think has under performed? Crofts? Harley? Dicker?

nope. never had a pop at any brighton player - I'm a supporter.

Hatman1234

Aug 24, 2011
In a crater in the sea.
He works hard and is always in a goal scoring position, so he'll always score. But he misses more chances than he scores. His second finish yesterday was class but if this had been against Cardiff it would have ended up in the North Stand.

His first touch and his decision making are pretty bad. He's still young so I hope he develops his touch, because he can cost us points. He was through on goal against Cardiff he took 5 touches and couldn't make his mind up over what he should do. When he has games like this I'd like to see him substituted. But what irritates a lot of fans, and is probably why people do dislike Ashley, Gus keeps him on. On the flip side, he had a good game yesterday, deserved a hat-trick, and Gus took him off. Though he did deserve the standing ovation.

I am neither a hater or a lover. I am just thankful its not Clive Platt we are discussing.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
He works hard and is always in a goal scoring position, so he'll always score. But he misses more chances than he scores. His second finish yesterday was class but if this had been against Cardiff it would have ended up in the North Stand.

strikers2.jpg

Even some of the best miss more chances than they score. That's nothing to criticise barnes, or any striker, for.

You have no idea if he would have missed that goal v Cardiff. It's all hypothetical.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
View attachment 34298

Even some of the best miss more chances than they score. That's nothing to criticise barnes, or any striker, for.

You have no idea if he would have missed that goal v Cardiff. It's all hypothetical.
Surely those stats kills your argument about player stats once and for all.

Going by those stats, Barnes is better than Welbeck, Drogba, Defoe, Carroll, and Surez in most aspects of his game. Only Rooney and RVP scored more than him, and has he's other percentages are higher, what's your point?

Maybe Gus should be trying to swap him for Defoe or Welbeck. I'm sure your graph will clinch the deal if they laugh at him.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
I have always been a big fan of Ashley's - a fantastic performance yesterday.

I saw nothing to change my mind on CMS either. Getting in the way of two shots could have cost us two goals on another day. I am delighted both scored though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here