Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The Pitch

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
On the drive over today I was quite surprised at how flooded a lot of the fields were. I don't think our pitch has done too badly then under such circumstances.

el punal

Heavy rain, I get that....

But it does rain consistently at most PL grounds, more so in most! But pitches seem to stand up to it a lot better than the Amex surface.

3 games in December!!! It looked shocking after today’s game.

I refer you back to the 1970s, particularly Derby County's Baseball Ground, which was so bad that the ref ordered the groundsman to come and repaint the penalty spot. Closer to home our game against Southend at Withdean on New Year's Day 2001 where parts of the pitch were under a couple of inches of water.

The Amex pitch is a positive bowling green in comparison.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Never been that good and compared to PL pitches it is awful.
Nothing to do with rain or games played with these modern pitches.
Plymouth have the same pitch, just as much rain, more games and training on it and I took a look at it yesterday whilst walking the dog and it was like an unmarked carpet.
More rain this morning down here so will see if it cut up after today's game.
Bristol City's turf pitch is better than the Amex.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
It has rained almost non stop for 5 or so days.

Including for much of the match today.

Honestly, i can't think of many matches this season where we haven't had rain during the match. I wasn't at Newcastle this year, so don't know if it rained or not, but i would guess we are taking quite a few matches since our last one that remained dry for 90 minutes

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The farm shop by the stadium (the one where people in fancy cars pay a fortune to own the road and drive at us peasants on foot at the end of each game) have a sign up for potatoes at £12 for a 25kg bag I seem to recall. At those prices we could buy ourselves a decent striker before you know it!
They're not grown for profit. It is a well known fact that 18 hours a day digging potatoes is the quickest way to get fit in pre-season............on the downside, it's probably the reason why super-star strikers won't come here!

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Loads of rain and very little natural daylight in between games does that; it was the same last year and the year before.

Another good reason why we definitely don't need to have the women's team also playing at the Amex. The main reason being that women's football is crap, of course.

they will use HPS lights to keep the grass growing at an optimal rate all year round. it's PLR dontchano!

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Never been that good and compared to PL pitches it is awful.
Nothing to do with rain or games played with these modern pitches.
Plymouth have the same pitch, just as much rain, more games and training on it and I took a look at it yesterday whilst walking the dog and it was like an unmarked carpet.
More rain this morning down here so will see if it cut up after today's game.
Bristol City's turf pitch is better than the Amex.

Comment on tv a few weeks ago that our pitch was considered one of the best in the PL

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here