Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The optimistic response

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
I must say I’m surprised. Potter is a very clever man with a huge understanding of sports psychology and exchanging the calm onward trajectory of the Albion for the ghastly bearpit of Chelsea is an unlikely choice for me, even given the extra rewards.

The ‘top six’ will be a different and perhaps difficult challenge for him. He is a genius at masterminding football subversion: trying to impose his vision on one of the perennial entitled fat playground bullies is very different to plotting a route for the clever new kid outsider.

We are a very well run club with a five year plan and an incredible scouting system, and surviving our best players, manager and backroom staff being cherrypicked, with aplomb, is the best response to this contemptible heist.

Cheerio Potter, go and join Cucurella, White and Bissouma on the gravy train. Our next manager will be someone else you haven’t heard of, and he’ll be brilliant.

It is, of course, completely ridiculous that this tedious ‘big club/small club’ scenario exists, especially since Brighton is a far more interesting place than Chelsea, but there you go. Modern football is bollocks, but it's our bollocks, and we carry on.

25 years ago bottom of the League with no ground. Now supremely adaptable and ready for anything. A just reward for all the years we fought for the existence of our club. Onwards.

(The other response was: I loathe modern football, that's the last straw. But Archer couldn't kill my love of the Albion,and modern football won't either, so optimism is the only option!)

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Nice try punk::cry:

There are always other fish in the sea.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I must say I’m surprised. Potter is a very clever man with a huge understanding of sports psychology and exchanging the calm onward trajectory of the Albion for the ghastly bearpit of Chelsea is an unlikely choice for me, even given the extra rewards.

The ‘top six’ will be a different and perhaps difficult challenge for him. He is a genius at masterminding football subversion: trying to impose his vision on one of the perennial entitled fat playground bullies is very different to plotting a route for the clever new kid outsider.

We are a very well run club with a five year plan and an incredible scouting system, and surviving our best players, manager and backroom staff being cherrypicked, with aplomb, is the best response to this contemptible heist.

Cheerio Potter, go and join Cucurella, White and Bissouma on the gravy train. Our next manager will be someone else you haven’t heard of, and he’ll be brilliant.

It is, of course, completely ridiculous that this tedious ‘big club/small club’ scenario exists, especially since Brighton is a far more interesting place than Chelsea, but there you go. Modern football is bollocks, but it's our bollocks, and we carry on.

25 years ago bottom of the League with no ground. Now supremely adaptable and ready for anything. A just reward for all the years we fought for the existence of our club. Onwards.

(The other response was: I loathe modern football, that's the last straw. But Archer couldn't kill my love of the Albion,and modern football won't either, so optimism is the only option!)

Yep, great post. :thumbsup:

I am very emotional about losing Bruno and very annoyed about losing Roberts. They are the two who will be difficult to replace. The other four? A three year footnote in our great club's history. It's Brighton and Hove Albion not Graham and Bjorn Albion.

**** them. TB will come out smelling of roses eventually. There are LOADS of good coaching teams out there. (plus if it goes tits up with Chelsea's entitled fan base, well, we might think about having Bruno back).

Thanks for what you, and Ian, and Liz and Paul and Sarah and Roy and everyone else did. It's times like this when you really need perspective (as opposed to the uber dull "well 25 years ago" threads you get when we've lost 1-0 to Burnley).

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading

Thanks

As dissapointed as I am right now it's a time to get behind the club and the team. *uck the vulture's that can't do things for themselves and rely on just buying someone else's hard work.

Up the Albion

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
There was lots to like about Potter, but he is not the Messiah, he needed to go to make way for the Messiah, who is on their way here as we wait patiently for their announcement.

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
It's raw and like many others I think I'm more gutted about Bruno going than anything else. We'll carry on like you say, quite excited now to see who Bloom brings in. Thanks for the memories Graham, thought we were building something special, but it seems we weren't, I'm still that naive after 30 years supporting this club.

Onwards and upwards.

ringmerseagulltoo

Feb 16, 2012
I am disappointed about Bruno and Ben Roberts because they were Albion before they were Potter, so emotion says their loyalties should lie with the Club and supporters. However, from their standpoint, I suppose they have no guarantee that the incoming manager would retain their services.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

You use your tongue prettier than a $20 whore :thumbsup:

Maybe you should take it up professionally :wink:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I am disappointed about Bruno and Ben Roberts because they were Albion before they were Potter, so emotion says their loyalties should lie with the Club and supporters. However, from their standpoint, I suppose they have no guarantee that the incoming manager would retain their services.

Exactly. A lot of assumptions being made, by some people who would – in their own professions – quite possibly do the same thing. Or, at least move on from a job that they enjoy for one that offers more money, opportunities and possible career development.

But I guess people need to 'grieve' and Bruno seems to be the equivalent of the match day's Solly March.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Well put @atilla . This has made me feel a bit better.

Potter going eventually was inevitable. He would have been sacked somewhere down the line had it not left but I'm surprised he's gone to a club like Chelsea. I really can't see them giving him the time to implement the ideas he has here. I wanted him to stay but I don't blame him taking the money. Gutted to lose Bruno and Ben Roberts as part of the deal but Potter wanted them and now they've got their big pay day and eventual pay-off when it all goes pear-shaped.

Now, someone please paint over that Bruno pic at the bottom of Ditchling Road. I just drove past it and... it hurts! :cry:

I'm optimistic, most of us knew that if Potter succeeded he wouldn't be here long, that's the PL for you. Kudos to him, he succeeded big time. But he's left us a really good squad of players. If we are realistic with the next manager and his targets, this could still be a very good season for us

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
And, if Bruno had any ambitions of managing the Albion, he would know that it wouldn't be without him getting experience elsewhere. Bit like Liam R, it's extremely unlikely but would be brilliant if somewhere down the line ....................

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Well put @atilla . This has made me feel a bit better.

Potter going eventually was inevitable. He would have been sacked somewhere down the line had it not left but I'm surprised he's gone to a club like Chelsea. I really can't see them giving him the time to implement the ideas he has here. I wanted him to stay but I don't blame him taking the money. Gutted to lose Bruno and Ben Roberts as part of the deal but Potter wanted them and now they've got their big pay day and eventual pay-off when it all goes pear-shaped.

Now, someone please paint over that Bruno pic at the bottom of Ditchling Road. I just drove past it and... it hurts! :cry:

To be fair, that particular 'homage' was always quite painful when compared to the original :lolol:

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
Last time we changed manager we were 4th from bottom

This time we are changing manager we are 4th from top

The candidates likely to be interested will be of a somewhat different level to before

In between times we have had cash inwards re:

£50m White
£35m Biss
£62m Cucurella
FOC Colwill for a season
£21m Potter and team

£83m from the new US owners of Chelsea less the £8m for Gilmour = £75m plus Gilmour for one player ( we are coping without ) plus the management team

The £75m above plus the other £85m = £160m cash in to cover the covid losses and onward reinvestment

If we haven't got six or so very capable / experienced candidates to interview next week by Monday I would be quite surprised

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing

I feel more upset about Bruno and Ben leaving than GP, I can only imagine is similar to how TB is feeling right now

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
I feel more upset about Bruno and Ben leaving than GP, I can only imagine is similar to how TB is feeling right now

Me too - I had initially envisaged that Bruno might become our new manager,

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here