Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] The only thing that’s pissing me off is these ad’s all over NSC

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I don't use NSC on mobile, so... mobile!

Despite only ever using NSC on desktop, it seems sensible to me that any permenant ad would be less intrusive on the bigger screen of a desk/laptop than on the smaller mobile screens.
That's why I put it on mobile only in the first place.

On a portrait-oriented phone, it felt like the sticky bottom banner was largely tucked away, as it feels as though naturally my eyes are towards the top of the screen.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I remain firmly in the camp of “tell me what level of sub you’d like for an ad free experience and I’ll pay” (within reason!)
Bozza's master plan is nearly complete.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I've been patiently waiting for this thread to come along for a while now. In truth, it's been getting worse and worse and the ITVX advert is the worst of the lot. You have to scroll past it. I only really post on mobile on the Wordle thread to keep the streak alive but it's definitely noticeably worse today than it was two weeks ago.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
So I get the "we value your privacy" box, every time I open a thread, close a thread or change page on a thread. (not on a phone)

Is that just me?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I've been patiently waiting for this thread to come along for a while now. In truth, it's been getting worse and worse and the ITVX advert is the worst of the lot. You have to scroll past it. I only really post on mobile on the Wordle thread to keep the streak alive but it's definitely noticeably worse today than it was two weeks ago.
I didn't know some people were getting that ITVX ad (and it sounds like a similar National Rail one) as frequently as they were, otherwise I'd have intervened sooner - in my own usage I've only seen it a small handful of times.

You shouldn't get it any more.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
So I get the "we value your privacy" box, every time I open a thread, close a thread or change page on a thread.

Is that just me?
That's considered best practice to give site users immediate access to change cookie and privacy settings.

I don't think it's anything I can control although I'll be honest, I barely notice it myself.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
That's considered best practice to give site users immediate access to change cookie and privacy settings.

I don't think it's anything I can control although I'll be honest, I barely notice it myself.
I can only speak for myself but I’m assuming you’ve already tweeked the system as already it feels better than the last few days ?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I've switched the sticky lower ad to desktop only.

It sounds like you've both been targeted with different ads than me - I've not had anything like that level of frequency for that full-screen scrolling ad. Let me know if you still see something full-screen on mobile.
Not had the full screen ad since your post I’m quoting, and I definitely would have done. Lower scree ad disappeared, as you indicated.

My personal irritation level has reduced from a 7 to a 2 (pretty irritated to absolutely fine)

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Question...

If you assume there needs to be a sticky banner ad on the bottom of the site, would you choose to have it on desktop or mobile? It's currently on mobile only, but I could switch it.
Desktop as it is a much bigger screen and easier to navigate around.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I can only speak for myself but I’m assuming you’ve already tweeked the system as already it feels better than the last few days ?
I've moved the sticky banner, which it seems was doing that full-screen scroller on occasion, from mobile to desktop. I don't think it will behave the same on desktop.

Apologies again - I had no idea it was being so intrusive for some people.

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
Don't mind ads in general as THE MAN has gotta be paid.

It the ones that move over or change the comments box literally as you are writing that ate a pain.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Do we have to have them?

Bloody annoying when you are typing a message and it switches from 468x60 to a 300x300 and covers the text box.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
OK - I've turned off the sticky footer everywhere.

I don't know if this is sustainable because ads now largely pay for visibility, and the "stickiness" of it means it will be the best paying placement on the site. And, to be clear, "best paying" is a relative term - we're talking tiny fractions of a penny each time it is shown.

So I'll have to see the impact on earnings over coming days. Please don't come at me if it returns, but I'll investigate to see if I can let people choose whether they have it on mobile or desktop, so you can choose what you prefer (or hate least).

I'll now prioritise time on the "site supporter" thing, whereby you can voluntarily choose to support the site in return for the removal of all ads and any other bells and whistles I can bundle in. I've had a look at how quite a few other football forums do this - it varies a lot - but I'll see what I can come up with.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I've moved the sticky banner, which it seems was doing that full-screen scroller on occasion, from mobile to desktop. I don't think it will behave the same on desktop.

Apologies again - I had no idea it was being so intrusive for some people.
Let’s get one thing straight, you sir never need to apologise for all the work you’ve done and control do for NSC, just hurry up and introduce a fee for those who don’t want ad’s 😉😉😉😂

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Out of interest, has anyone - ANYONE - seen an ad pop up on NSC (or any other site for tat matter) and thought "ooh, now thats interesting", clicked on it, and then gone and bought the product ? I guess some must do, otherwise why would advertisers bother. But I don't think I've ever properly even read or watched an online advert, let along followed up by clicking on it or buying something.

Its the same with YouTube. The ads are just an irritant, an interruption, something to get out of the way so you can watch what you went there to watch. When those long ads come up (well I say long, the 15 second jobbies or whatever), I usually flip over to another browsing tab to read something until its finished.

Like I say, it must ultimately pay off for the advertisers, but they're wasting their money on me and I suspect the vast majority of the human population.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here