Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The old West stand monkey chanters.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I’m still messy minded re Jason Lee’s pineapple. Was it racist or just an appropriate song for someone who tied their long hair up on top of their head? I never saw it as racist at the time.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Britain at the time also loved "thick paddy" and "poof" jokes, in fact these were staples of prime-time TV.
Not just Britain at the time. Our only holiday every year was to visit my Dad's family in Limerick.
Kerry Man jokes were very popular the time and virtually identical to the "thick paddy" jokes in the UK you refer to.
As for the other stuff, I don't really remember it. I had a season ticket from when I started work and would go alone and stand in the East. I was so focussed on the game I never really noticed the background noise.
One thing I do remember though, which I found funny at the time involved Remi Moses.
We were playing West Brom and it was pissing down almost the whole game and part of the crowd started chanting 'Moses stop the rain'.
I only saw the bananas and monkey chant stuff on the TV.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Well done to those man enough to admit to these mistakes in the past

I too said some terrible words. I was at my first job and in that environment, everybody was using those words, so I joined in. I also repeated some jokes which were racist and homophobic.

The lesson which comes out of this to me is to not judge young people harshly. We're all products of our environment and we've all become the men and women we've become on the back of the lessons learned from the mistakes we've made.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Probably the most embarrassed I’ve felt at a football match.

Especially when you consider that less than 30 mins beforehand, their players had unfurled a huge banner ‘saluting Brighton fans’ on the pitch.
Did someone really take a banana to the game to wind up a black player……I still maintain someone just slung it at him because he was kicking off with Baird. Or am I being totally naive. I know a couple there players kicked what was left back into the crowd.

TimWatt

Feb 13, 2011
Richmond
Well done to those admitting to learning or moving on from thinking racism was acceptable. Maybe social pressure was part of it but I do recall in old Division One days hearing chants, like, say, against Justin Fashanu of Norwich, and feeling ashamed at those around me, though though it was probably a minority that were vocal.
Much of that was just hateful but sometimes sugar-coated with humour - as if oppression using humour somehow made oppression acceptable, which I thought at the time really weird.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I recall a game against Chelsea, probably at home though not sure now, where the Chelsea fans were giving Keith Dublin a lot of stick including racist chanting and noises. This at z time when they had black players too.

The Albion fans sang back at them "our blacks are blacker than your blacks". The sarcasm in the chant was wasted on those knuckle draggers, but I remember being very proud of our fans.

I also had the huge displeasure of sitting in the shed at Chelsea in the mid 80s (taken by a Chelsea supporting mate from uni) and hearing racism and vitriol like I've never heard before or since. Mind you, I've never been to Burnley.
I would (partly) be surprised if Chelsea fans were racially abusing Keith Dublin as he was a Chelsea player before coming to the Albion. Then again ... Chelsea!

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
I remember us playing Huddersfield in the 73/74 season. Town brought on a black youngster in the second half and a significant number of people in the West Sand seats subjected him to monkey chants every time he touched the ball. He had to be taken off as he was so (visibly) distressed.

POSKETT AT THE VALLEY

Jan 16, 2010
Isle of Wight
I particularly remember in in the early 70’s when my older brother treated me to a seat up top..
I’d never noticed up till then. I’m presuming the north stand would have been worse surely ? ( That’s where I belonged)
It didn’t sit kind with me as a gobby kid though,
I remember half a dozen lumps putting on Ku Klux Klan hoods in the South Stand back in the day. Very different times.

I would (partly) be surprised if Chelsea fans were racially abusing Keith Dublin as he was a Chelsea player before coming to the Albion. Then again ... Chelsea!
There was a huuuuge right wing movement at Chelsea (what? really? No!) in the late seventies and early eighties, they booed their own black players and refused to celebrate any goals scored by them. Paul Canoville was the first black player who came through their youth set-up and got absolutely loads of abuse off them, there was a great docco a few years ago about it.
I've a couple of mates who are Chelsea and who are horrified by their own club's past, and have real ideological issues with themselves for being Chelsea fans. I cant help but feel sorry for them, its their club too and they share it with some absolute f***ing rotters. Hard to change a turd from within, the walls and the ceiling and the very fabric of it is just . . more turd.

Crawley Dingo

Political thread tourist.
Mar 31, 2022
I remember a group in the Northstand chanting abuse at Tony Grealish and what they would do to his daughter. Charming.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Did someone really take a banana to the game to wind up a black player……I still maintain someone just slung it at him because he was kicking off with Baird. Or am I being totally naive. I know a couple there players kicked what was left back into the crowd.
Who knows. Bit odd to take a whole bunch into a football match as a fair few were thrown

kojak

Jan 17, 2022
You're all liars and hypocrites
Coming on here to clear your conscience

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Who knows. Bit odd to take a whole bunch into a football match as a fair few were thrown
I didn’t know more than one banana was thrown. I was in the north west but near where it kicked off.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here