Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The old West stand monkey chanters.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
I think people like to associate this kind of behaviour with the 70's/80's lawless football era but I clearly remember seeing things being thrown from the west stand in the mid nineties and asking my brother what was being chucked and a random bloke saying it was bananas.

Kurt Nogan was still paying for us so I reckon about 94.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
I recall a dodgy joke being told over the PA as well. It involved the N word and a German player. Maybe the same as you heard?
Jimmy Hill and garth crooks talking about Karl heinze?

I swear that was real, occurred in a half time discussion in a world Cup match. Or is my memory really that shot?

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
Thing is, from my perspective anyway, there was no hate involved, I just thought it was normal behaviour to give stick to the opposition in this fashion. If the word existed It would have just been called “bantz”
I don't THINK I joined in but remember lots of monkey chants from the terraces and saw it as in the above post. '70s mainly, I think. I don't recall any opposition to the chants. Thankfully, we've come a long way since then.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Sadly, the banana luzzers were right there up until the final match.

Several chucked at Darren Moore when he was sent off for handbags with Ian Baird.

:rolleyes:
Unfortunately that all went under the radar that day probably because of the jeopardy of the situation.

I met Darren Moore, a lovely bloke, at a BBC do a few years later and he said that was probably the angriest he’s ever been in his life as he made his way down the tunnel, clearly a number of people were stood next to the various ‘fruit throwers’ that day, I wonder if sometimes some of them wished they’d made a stand and said something?
I was quite young at the time and all these years later, because it was so surreal, embarrassing and out of character for a PA announcement, I have sometimes wondered if I imagined it …..even though I remember it so clearly.
Unfortunately Mr Millard’s character had several flaws. 🙈

Nothing was said or done at board level, yet within a decade a number of the same people were sacking ageing ballboys and suing fanzine editors. 😂

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Jimmy Hill and garth crooks talking about Karl heinze?

I swear that was real, occurred in a half time discussion in a world Cup match. Or is my memory really that shot?
Theres definitely footage of Sir Geoff Hurst, with Crooks sat next to him, describing England as ‘the n***** in the woodpile’ at Italia 90.

Louis MacNeice

Dec 7, 2015
Late 1970s in the North Stand, I was passed a copy of the Bulldog, newspaper of the young National Front. The front page was all about the arrest of 20 or 30 anti-fascist protestors (probably refered to as red scum or something equally inventive) who had disrupted an NF march in Brighton a couple of weeks previously. I quickly shoved the paper away and kept quiet about being one of those arrested.

It was a climate where fascist propaganda and monkey chants weren't uncommon, but they were obviously wrong.

Cheers - Louis MacNeice

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
I only went to the North Stand from the 1990s (and the north-east terrace a few times), but I didn't witness any of the things mentioned in this thread then.

Maybe it would be better to say I didn't notice them, as I'm sure some things went on. My guess would be that it was much reduced by the 1990s compared to the 1980 or 70s.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I recall a game against Chelsea, probably at home though not sure now, where the Chelsea fans were giving Keith Dublin a lot of stick including racist chanting and noises. This at z time when they had black players too.

The Albion fans sang back at them "our blacks are blacker than your blacks". The sarcasm in the chant was wasted on those knuckle draggers, but I remember being very proud of our fans.

I also had the huge displeasure of sitting in the shed at Chelsea in the mid 80s (taken by a Chelsea supporting mate from uni) and hearing racism and vitriol like I've never heard before or since. Mind you, I've never been to Burnley.
One of my friends at uni in the late 70's was a Chelsea fan. He recalls a group of half a dozen very large, black guys in the Shed who used to enthusiastically join in with the monkey chants and racist songs aimed at the opposing players.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Hmmm.... I don't want to judge those blokes on here confessing to the stupidity of their younger selves, but I can remember being a teenager in the 1970s and hearing the monkey noises and people dropping the N bomb; I never joined-in as it was so obviously cretinous. Britain at the time also loved "thick paddy" and "poof" jokes, in fact these were staples of prime-time TV.
Remember The Comedians on TV? The black one with a Yorkshire accent (Charlie Williams, ex-footballer) used to joke about coming to live next door.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Late 1970s in the North Stand, I was passed a copy of the Bulldog, newspaper of the young National Front. The front page was all about the arrest of 20 or 30 anti-fascist protestors (probably refered to as red scum or something equally inventive) who had disrupted an NF march in Brighton a couple of weeks previously. I quickly shoved the paper away and kept quiet about being one of those arrested.

It was a climate where fascist propaganda and monkey chants weren't uncommon, but they were obviously wrong.

Cheers - Louis MacNeice
That was a sad paper, often sold or given away outside many football grounds in the late 70s and 80s, did they not even have a league table were all the goals scored by black players were discounted, for example if Justin Fashanu scored a winner for Brighton and we won 2-1, that goal was not recognised and instead of 2 or 3 points for a win at the time we were awarded a 1-1 draw and 1 point and a new table was shown.

Absolutely degusting to be honest, we have come along way since those dark days, education is the key to beat ignorance and intolerance.
I quickly realised only through listening to those who were right wing, how stupid it was, and that so called working class lads who were "under threat" have the same struggles as those from ethnic backgrounds and if they want to fight and and feel threatened they are looking at the wrong group. The rich elite are the issue, they are the ones that divide and rule to cause issues were there should not be, they do this to deflect any glare to what they are doing and how they manipulate and control things to a certain extent.

Many in the 70s and 80s were a product of the baby boomers who themselves handed down antiquated ideas about the empire etc.
It was a sad cycle that was encouraged on tv and all around society, including at school, I remember teachers using racist language, so when someone asks me, how could you have had right wing tendencies when you were young, I reply I was a product of society at the time, care home, school, tv, being in the wrong place at the wrong time, a whirlwind of issues. I learnt myself pretty quickly within a year that it was utterly utterly contradictory and there is no pure race, as I said previously I like history and actually reading about the history of Europe and Britain, it was pretty plain to see Europe is a mongrel race and always has been., there never has been a pure race.

When I left this particular group of people, I went round to the flat of a particular bloke I have mentioned before and explained I don't want to hang around him or his group anymore and asked him why he came to Psychobilly gigs with us as he was a skinhead, his reply was to get young kids into the ideology. I half expected to get a beating then and there, it never happened that day, however he continued to show up at some Psychobilly gigs and one in Stoke he turned up with 15 or so other knuckle heads and they kicked off with me when I went to the toilet, he was not part of it, but I got battered, stitches in my head and then when one of the bands came on, non other than The Long Tall Texans from Brighton, because Theo the drummer is of greek heritage, they started to zieg heil at the front, The Texans stopped playing and all the psychobilly's and the bands started fighting the skins and kicked them out the club, never to come back.

Psychobilly is well known for it's no politics and no religion ethos, which suits me fine.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
That was a sad paper, often sold or given away outside many football grounds in the late 70s and 80s, did they not even have a league table were all the goals scored by black players were discounted, for example if Justin Fashanu scored a winner for Brighton and we won 2-1, that goal was not recognised and instead of 2 or 3 points for a win at the time we were awarded a 1-1 draw and 1 point and a new table was shown.

Absolutely degusting to be honest, we have come along way since those dark days, education is the key to beat ignorance and intolerance.
I quickly realised only through listening to those who were right wing, how stupid it was, and that so called working class lads who were "under threat" have the same struggles as those from ethnic backgrounds and if they want to fight and and feel threatened they are looking at the wrong group. The rich elite are the issue, they are the ones that divide and rule to cause issues were there should not be, they do this to deflect any glare to what they are doing and how they manipulate and control things to a certain extent.

Many in the 70s and 80s were a product of the baby boomers who themselves handed down antiquated ideas about the empire etc.
It was a sad cycle that was encouraged on tv and all around society, including at school, I remember teachers using racist language, so when someone asks me, how could you have had right wing tendencies when you were young, I reply I was a product of society at the time, care home, school, tv, being in the wrong place at the wrong time, a whirlwind of issues. I learnt myself pretty quickly within a year that it was utterly utterly contradictory and there is no pure race, as I said previously I like history and actually reading about the history of Europe and Britain, it was pretty plain to see Europe is a mongrel race and always has been., there never has been a pure race.

When I left this particular group of people, I went round to the flat of a particular bloke I have mentioned before and explained I don't want to hang around him or his group anymore and asked him why he came to Psychobilly gigs with us as he was a skinhead, his reply was to get young kids into the ideology. I half expected to get a beating then and there, it never happened that day, however he continued to show up at some Psychobilly gigs and one in Stoke he turned up with 15 or so other knuckle heads and they kicked off with me when I went to the toilet, he was not part of it, but I got battered, stitches in my head and then when one of the bands came on, non other than The Long Tall Texans from Brighton, because Theo the drummer is of greek heritage, they started to zieg heil at the front, The Texans stopped playing and all the psychobilly's and the bands started fighting the skins and kicked them out the club, never to come back.

Psychobilly is well known for it's no politics and no religion ethos, which suits me fine.
I remember Theo as a very young kid growing up in Newhaven; I presume its the same person. I didn’t know him, just knew of him; due to his dress sense he stood out as a stylish and cool character. He was a few years older than me, must be nudging 60 now?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I remember Theo as a very young kid growing up in Newhaven; I presume its the same person. I didn’t know him, just knew of him; due to his dress sense he stood out as a stylish and cool character. He was a few years older than me, must be nudging 60 now?
Yep he is, still looks good, maintains a nice head of hair still. He supports the Albion, he had season ticket up to a few years ago. He’s a good lad, We we’re singing/ shouting Seagulls really loud in Speyer (Germany) town square at 3am after a festival together a few years ago, he’s a good laugh.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here