Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The official REMF match thread

zig

Jul 8, 2003
Cheers, Lord B - we had a thoroughly cracking night, last night. Was so great to see an idea which started out 8yrs ago on here, to still have such vibrant energy & commitment!

I thought the evening was brilliantly produced & had all the elements of a classic Brighton/Palace game. To have an opportunity to watch God [Wardy] play again and too see some of those famous moves in front of goal was a dream come true.

Well done to both teams for putting on a quality game of which I'm sure Rob's Dad, Doug must be very proud.

You're all stars :ascarf:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Great match and a great effort from both teams, nice to see Wardy score a pen, but very well done to all concerned.

One rather 'well known' Brighton fan afterwards did, in all seriousness, suggest that we should have allowed Palace to win "otherwise they'll get bored and stop coming if we beat them every year".

the suggestion was not that we should allow them to win, rather that it was a shame that they have come down here every year, put up a tremendous effort in supporting the cause and it was a shame they didnt hang on for a win. It would be a shame if some of the palace lads decided that it was not worth the effort as they never win.....after all in the last couple of years we have put in ex professional footballers and they have turned up a bunch of lads - excellent bunch they are too.

that was all, so I am not sure what you are getting at with that sort of remark.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
the suggestion was not that we should allow them to win, rather that it was a shame that they have come down here every year, put up a tremendous effort in supporting the cause and it was a shame they didnt hang on for a win. It would be a shame if some of the palace lads decided that it was not worth the effort as they never win.

that was all, so I am not sure what you are getting at with that sort of remark.

Do you know who actually made the suggestion to which I am referring?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

Quite a lot of us did ...myself, Lord B, everest etc etc

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Quite a lot of us did ...myself, Lord B, everest etc etc

None of them are the person to whom I am referring.

The person said (and I quote verbatim): "We should have let them win, otherwise they'll get bored and stop coming if we beat them every year". I looked for any trace of a smile or wink to suggest that it was meant tongue in cheek, but none was forthcoming. This person (who, so far as I know, has never posted on here, but is very well known by many who do) was also offering several disapproving tuts and head shakes when you (presuming it was you on the PA) jokingly referring to the Palace team as losers rather than runners up.

Mind you, I am very pleased to read a post on here this morning from one of the Palace team confirming that they'll be back next year and so rendering the person in question's opinion moot anyway.

Last edited:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
None of them are the person to whom I am referring.

The person said (and I quote verbatim): "We should have let them win, otherwise they'll get bored and stop coming if we beat them every year". I looked for any trace of a smile or wink to suggest that it was meant tongue in cheek, but none was forthcoming.

Mind you, I am very pleased to read a post on here this morning from one of the Palace team confirming that they'll be back next year and so rendering the person in question's opinion moot anyway.

there you go then.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

I am to be honest neutral on this so you may be referring to me. I would be happy if the CPFC take the trophy to Croydon. After all without their continued support they game would be nothing. We cannot go arrogant and think we have a right to take the trophy home each year. If these CPFC lads loose interest its game over. They have lost the last 6 and the last 5 on penalties. How pig sick would you feel ?.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I am to be honest neutral on this so you may be referring to me. I would be happy if the CPFC take the trophy to Croydon. After all without their continued support they game would be nothing. We cannot go arrogant and think we have a right to take the trophy home each year. If these CPFC lads loose interest its game over. They have lost the last 6 and the last 5 on penalties. How pig sick would you feel ?.

I'd feel more pig sick if, as was suggested, the Palace team won because Brighton "let" them. I'm sure they'd not want to win that way either.

Thankfully, it's not going to happen, and even more thankfully the Palace team will be back to try again next year, so it's all good. :)

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I am sure it was not me but my view point is above. I want BHAFC to win on the night but also would be very happy if CPFC win. Its a win/win for me and I expect a lot of other people.

Oh and BHAFC were Dog Poo in the first half :laugh:. Glad they got their act together in the second half.

zig

Jul 8, 2003
..Oh and BHAFC were Dog Poo in the first half :laugh:. Glad they got their act together in the second half.
Agreed - that must have been some half-time 'chat'!! :angry:

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
Im pretty sue that I can speak for the whole team in saying that there is NO WAY in a million years that we would 'let them win'!

If they win the game in 90mins or penalties (which they very nearly did) then fair enough, we would all stand and applaud them but none of the players would go out with the intention of letting them win!

matt

Mar 19, 2007
"It would be a shame if some of the palace lads decided that it was not worth the effort as they never win" - I guess if they had that attitude they probably wouldn't be supporting Palace in the first place :angel:

On a more serious note, it was a great evening and everyone involved in organising the event should feel very, very pleased with themselves. :clap2:

cpfc remf captain

Jul 6, 2003
Were be back next year. Over the last 5 years weve prob desereved to win 4 of them in the 90 mins if not all of them. My lads are wanting to come back and the losing on pens is actually making them more motivated to come back and win this. Not like were losing by 5 or 6 every year. 4 of the starting 11 last night have played the last 5 years and not won it like some of us lucky ones that have been in from the start.
The ref was very good in stages and also very poor. Nice free kick goal but no foul, have an advantage, lose advantage but have a free kick if im being picky.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
They won when I played - and yes the two are probably connected!

nobody's dupe

Old Fart
Feb 12, 2004
I'm behind you!
I was so sorry to read about Danger's condition. When I spoke to him in the early hours of this morning he was convinced that nothing serious had occurred, even though he had his arm in a sling. I've just read on another thread that he has badly damaged his collar bone.

Get well soon Simon! I do hope you are able to control the pain.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here