Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] The Official NFL 2021 Thread

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I think you are misunderstanding the Rooney rule. Its only about who gets to be interviewed not who gets to be employed. It actually helps the best person for the job get employed as it widens the traditional interview field. Rather than just who the owner or GM wants to work for them (especially if they are mates). Whoever gets the job needs to lay out their plans, ideas and what they can bring to the team.

No, I understand it, but don’t feel it achieves much. You mention traditional field’, but what you describe in terms of plans would be my expectation. All the rule is doing is forcing teams to almost pay lip service to interviewing minority candidates IMO…..

My point (probably clumsily put across), is that you shouldn’t need a rule to select the interviewees, and all appointments should be best person for the job, which is a separate point….

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
I’d never watched the ProBowl before, it’s pretty much passed me by, but idly put on the 15 minutes highlights reel this morning while making breakfast.

Feck me it’s a joke. Never realized it’s literally comedy, with people not even bothering to tackle, just pretending to but actually deliberately trying to make plays happen. What’s the point, or indeed the supposed kudos of being ‘selected’ as a ProBowl representative?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I’d never watched the ProBowl before, it’s pretty much passed me by, but idly put on the 15 minutes highlights reel this morning while making breakfast.

Feck me it’s a joke. Never realized it’s literally comedy, with people not even bothering to tackle, just pretending to but actually deliberately trying to make plays happen. What’s the point, or indeed the supposed kudos of being ‘selected’ as a ProBowl representative?

Yeah, I watched the Pro Bowl once from start to finish and said I wouldn't bother again. (I dipped in and out of it yesterday). It's like a pre-season practise where the players have only just met - which is pretty much the case. However as there are no internationals Pro Bowl selection is like being picked to play soccer for your country, it's an acknowledgment that you're 'good'. However once selected they shouldn't bother with the actual match!

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
The Pro Bowl used to be quite good to watch...until they decided on this "gentlemens agreement" to cut out full tackling. I understand they dont want to get unnecessarily injured, but its become a bit of a joke now. Years ago I had a conversation with someone at NFL Head Office over here and we were talking about the Pro Bowl, & how to make it more fun. I suggested they should do a skills competition like the NHL All-Star weekend (randomly, also on this weekend) and its great to see they did go that route as its really good fun - but the game itself needs a shot in the arm. I was reading last night that the NFL are considering banning ANY tackling at all in the game - which seems ridiculous. If they want it to still be competitive, fast paced, and fun, they should make it into a flag football game. Leave the lids on, but get rid of the shoulder pads...and start making it more of a spectacle for the fans, but still a workout & exciting for the players to play.

Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean

The Pro bowl was way better when it was played the week after the Super Bowl imo...

Being an AFC man I remember Dave Krieg of Seattle (I think) driving the AFC down the field in 1990 to just come up short in a mega competitive game...

Watched for 2 plays yesterday then turned it off

Jul 7, 2003
The Pro Bowl used to be quite good to watch...until they decided on this "gentlemens agreement" to cut out full tackling. I understand they dont want to get unnecessarily injured, but its become a bit of a joke now. Years ago I had a conversation with someone at NFL Head Office over here and we were talking about the Pro Bowl, & how to make it more fun. I suggested they should do a skills competition like the NHL All-Star weekend (randomly, also on this weekend) and its great to see they did go that route as its really good fun - but the game itself needs a shot in the arm. I was reading last night that the NFL are considering banning ANY tackling at all in the game - which seems ridiculous. If they want it to still be competitive, fast paced, and fun, they should make it into a flag football game. Leave the lids on, but get rid of the shoulder pads...and start making it more of a spectacle for the fans, but still a workout & exciting for the players to play.

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks it would be better if they played it as flag football. Would be more entertaining and also probably good for grassroots development globally.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]1492103103176445993[/tweet]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here