Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

*** The official Keep Britain in the EU thread ***

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Why?
It's easy to be fooled by listening to the loudest voices. When it comes to it, a majority of Scots are unionist rather than nationalist.
Because if the majority of Scots want to stay in the EU, then Scotland simply will not stand for being taken out of the EU against it's will, and will break away.

They will organise their own referendum if not given one, and it will be untenable for them to stay in the UK if they then vote to leave.

We then will truely be England ( with Wales for a while) on it's own.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
As someone who works at the BBC on a regular basis, Auntie has many flaws, but it is not institutionally biased. Nick Robinson, the chief political reporter in this year's election, is a former Young Conservative leader, Nigel Farage has appeared on Question Time more than any other politician in the last five years, Jeremy Paxman did apply once to be the editor of Labour supporting The New Statesman.

It appears to me, that whatever your political leanings, giving the BBC a kicking seems to be the in thing from all areas of the political spectrum precisely because it is independent, unlike the Express, from which you take your article.

Is it 'liberal' in the sense that is supports the arts, women, minorities and so on. Absolutely. Does it screw up on occasions? Yes it does, the Newsnight Jimmy Savile issue is a prime example of a producer flexing their muscles when they should not have done so. The BBC is also pretty fair in being willing to give a right of reply, unlike many of its print based critics.

The BBC is an easy target, it's funding is a historical anachronism, but it does still attempt to apply the Reithian edict of 'Inform, Educate and Entertain' to a far greater degree than any other broadcaster IMO, unless you think that someone else does a better job?

The BBC might not be politically biased but there is definite social bias. It has become a cheerleader for a range of minorities; gays, migrants, transsexuals, extreme feminists and multicultural groups. It also promoted an individual like Camilla Batmanghelid. Until recently it was embarrassingly anti-Farage and anti-UKIP and I say that as someone who is still broadly pro-Europe.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Because if the majority of Scots want to stay in the EU, then Scotland simply will not stand for being taken out of the EU against it's will, and will break away.

They will organise their own referendum if not given one, and it will be untenable for them to stay in the UK if they then vote to leave.

We then will truely be England ( with Wales for a while) on it's own.

Assuming that England will vote out of course. It could but I wouldn't bet on it as the British establishment and opinion maker's don't want it.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Assuming that England will vote out of course. It could but I wouldn't bet on it as the British establishment and opinion maker's don't want it.

Agreed. Same reason as to why we never get a say on whether we want to bin the royal family - the establishment won't allow it.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
We are heading inevitably to UK exit, and subsequent UK break up. Scotland will go it's own way, and Northern Ireland will not have a UK to be part of.

so more positives to leaving then.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
So do you think the reverse is true - if the UK marginally votes to stay, because the Scots vote to stay while the majority of English vote to leave, the English will demand a referendum to leave the UK because we won't stand for being kept in the EU against our will?

It's not necessarily as easy as that. Scottish unionist may want no part in a vote that's not sanctioned by leaders of the country (that's the UK), so the result wouldn't be conclusive.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
So do you think the reverse is true - if the UK marginally votes to stay, because the Scots vote to stay while the majority of English vote to leave, the English will demand a referendum to leave the UK because we won't stand for being kept in the EU against our will?

No idea. Probably. Possibly. Who knows ?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
That's a bit unfair as it was a reasonable question and I appreciated your reply as it made more sense. The obvious next question is how much difference do the free trade agreements make?

I apologise. Sorry. And I'll follow up on this question later.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here