Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Official FOOTBALL MANAGER 2012 Career Thread

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
so are most people playing a 4-1-2-1-2 by chance (not quite a diamond as the central midfielders are in pitch)

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
so are most people playing a 4-1-2-1-2 by chance (not quite a diamond as the central midfielders are in pitch)

Nope, 4-1-1-2-2 for me:

GK: Diego Alves

DR: Cesar Azpilicueta
DCR: Dejan Lovren
DCL: Adil Rami
DL: Jose Angel

DMC: Sergio Busquets

MC: Alan Dzagoev

AMR: Antonio Valencia
AML: Pablo Piatti

STC: Jonathan Cristaldo
STC: Iker Muniain

Control, short passing, slightly wide, moderately high tempo, mixed focus passing, man marking, more creative freedom.

In short, flairtastic. :thumbsup:

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I got fed up with not being able to get the Argentinian regen I said about and spunked £29m in January to finally get my man. Big gamble but he has 3 in 3 so far...

shaolinpunk

Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
This is the striker I blew £29m on...
11Qcm.jpg

...and this is how he repaid me. Between Mazzetti's 9 goals and 8 assists since he signed, and Griffith's 29 goals and 15 assists, we won the premier league!
iCRW6.jpg

I'm now about to play the charity shield. In the summer I've signed 9 players - among them Jack Wilshere and Micah Richards on a free, Kyle Walker for £4.4m, Tomecak for £7.75m and Kalinic for £13m. On reflection I have other areas to focus on rather than £13m on a striker, but the depth will help, especially in the CL as I try to better last season's quarter final defeat...

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Even at £29m I think that's a great signing, he literally has no weaknesses as an attacking player except maybe that his flair is quite low.

shaolinpunk

Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I know, as soon as I stumbled across him when I'd only just been promoted to the prem he was always my number one transfer target.

There was a large element of fortune in winning the premier league, a lot of narrow wins snatched from the jaws of a draw. Indeed, just one of those late goals not scored and Chelsea would have won the league

4-p

Sep 3, 2011
Shoreham
i always try and keep my team's players the same as real life, so i only buy gifted youth players in the first season. this way it's as realistic as possible.
the strange thing here is that hoskins is soo much better than cms in the game. he was nealy on 20 goals by christmas and cms was just breaking into the teens.
not write as realistic, i even tried dropping him leaving cms up front but we don't score enough.
funny really.

i play a 433 flat back 4, flat central 3, one centre forward and two wide strikers.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Eastbourne won BSS first season as I said.

2nd season won BSP again very easilly. Was again closish at xmas but dominated after to win by double figure points. Kasim joined to start in midfield and replace Battipedi. Gary Elphick was dropped and given a free eventually. Also won the FA trophy beating Bath in final.

3rd season am top of Lg2 by 5 points at start of Feb. Was a struggle early as we made it to southern semi of Johnson's Paint. Lost 2nd round of FA cup to Plymouth having beaten 2nd in Lg1 Oldham in first round. League cup got smashed up by some team early, as 7 starters were on international duty :( Also before this season board began to build the Eastbourne Stadium at a cost of 5 million, instantly placing the club worth a couple of hundred thousand, 5 mil in debt and shrinking my budget even further than other seasons. On top of that 19 of best 22 players have a single year remaining on contract and want full time deals on double old money! Had to ditch 3 midfielders but other than that pretty much just borderline bench players. Took a couple of fees but most were frees.
Have Karius a German keeper from Man City staring in goal. Veseli a Swiss under21 from Arsenal at CB alongside my 1st season FA captain Nicholas. A Belgian under21 regen at RB and good depth for those 3 def spots but shocking standard of LBs. Keep getting OK youths at this position along with 2 starters who are clearly weak links.
Midfield is young and average but doing job. Includes a Scottish and an Irish regen and some FA. He doesn't start but Swan is a regen Eastbourne youth product who coaches say has potential to play in Champ so we'll see if he ever develops. Upfront have Petrucci from Man Utd doing great things, and just snapped up Harry kane of Spurs who's played 2 games. Both can play as AMC so give me options to re-jig my standard 4-4-2 when I have the players talented enough to play a more complex system. Michael Ngoo of Liverpool is a solid target man but had a bad spell lately. 2 other strikers score alot but not sure they'll develop to compete, and probably just poach goals due to good team performances.

Excited to finish season (have resigned most of the side but other than Kane not brought in a single player even on youth contracts) and not only promote (13 points clear of 4th in Feb) but move into my new stadium. Have had 7 league games sell out so probably about half and need those seats to make the money back and afford to tread water! Didn't expect to get a 3rd title in a row this season but if I do, really can't see it next season without immense investment from the board. I have sofar spent £0 lol

Last edited:

Bhafc11

Nov 24, 2011
In my 3rd season in the prem, after starting first 7 games without a point i obviously got worried as i finished 10th in my first. Started to get a few games on the trot but got man utd chelsea arsenal man city in a row sticking me at the bottom again. 30th game of the season against man utd and was one point clear off survival. beat them 2-0 and just kept getting better and finished 12th. Tony Bloom never once thought of sacking me... job stayed stable after the free signing of Petr Cech on 22,500 a week! Now to try and get top half this time.

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
I'm only 11 games into my first season on this. I'm playing with a formation someone in this thread recommended (thanks, whoever it was!), although I had to sign a better left-back (I went for Michael Lumb who was available from Zenit St Petersburg for around £600k and is proving to be a bit of a revelation). Apart from him, my best starting 11 consists of players who are actually at the Albion. It goes...

Mackail-Smith
Noone Buckley
Vicente Harley
Bridcutt
Lumb Dunk Greer Calderon
Ankergren

I've got a new keeper coming in the January window (Joe Lewis from Peterborough), and I've yet to have a chance to play El-Abd because he got injured again a few days after returning to full fitness. Mackail-Smith acts as a target man with the wingers playing balls for him to run on to, but my wingers are actually scoring more goals than him right now: no worries, CMS is giving them the space to do so, so I'm happy. Noone has 8 goals so far, Buckley only 3 but he also has 6 assists.

When I'm playing at home, I usually go for an "Attacking" or even "Overload" strategy. When playing away against weaker opposition I go for "Control", and when playing away against strong opposition I go for "Counter".

My league record so far P11 W9 D2 L0 F25 A6, putting me top: 5 points and a game in hand over (spit) Pompey in second.

As for the Carling Cup, I decided to play mostly my second string in that. I knocked Norwich out in the second round with a 2-0 away win (Roland Bergkamp getting both goals!) before getting trounced 4-1 at Old Trafford in the third round (I decided to stick with the players who did so well in the last round, because I didn't mind going out).

I borrowed Craig Beattie from Swansea as CMS got injured at one point, he scored a hat-trick in a televised 3-0 away win against Portsmouth, quickly making him a favourite. Unfortunately I've got more than enough strikers for my two main formations, so I can't really justify signing him permanently.

God I love this game.

Petee

Nov 22, 2010
Brighton
Nope, 4-1-1-2-2 for me:

GK: Diego Alves

DR: Cesar Azpilicueta
DCR: Dejan Lovren
DCL: Adil Rami
DL: Jose Angel

DMC: Sergio Busquets

MC: Alan Dzagoev

AMR: Antonio Valencia
AML: Pablo Piatti

STC: Jonathan Cristaldo
STC: Iker Muniain

Control, short passing, slightly wide, moderately high tempo, mixed focus passing, man marking, more creative freedom.

In short, flairtastic. :thumbsup:

Cheers for this, lost in playoffs in 1st season then in 2nd season i was 12th and threatened with the sack but put this tactic into use and have won 6 on the trot and am 2 points behind swansea who are top :)

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Just in my 4th season with Brighton, second season in the Prem after finishing 8th and winning the FA Cup last season. Have also managed to persuade Tony to upgrade the training and youth facilities twice, as well as whacking another 7500 seats on at Falmer.
Got a few promising re-gens in January- a 19 year old Irish LB called Niall Boyle from Fanad Utd that cost £70 (seventy pounds) and is now worth £4mil, A 17 year old striker from Saints called Steve Foster who scored 19 in 22 appearances last season for £7.5 million and a few others that haven't broken into the side just yet.
Over the summer, I signed Adam Johnson from Sunderland for £3mil, Fabian Delph from Villa for £1.4 million, Nathan Redmond from Birmingham for £6.25 million, Nikica Jelavic from Rangers for £6.25 million, Manoel from Atletico Paranense for £7.5mil and Matthew Connolly from Sunderland for £5.5 million.
Also have Dunk, Henri Lansbury, Pablo Mouche, Will Buckley, Gonzalo Jara Reyes, Jake Livermore, Iago Falque, Stephen Warnock, Leandro Cabrera, Kazenga LuaLua and Joe Lewis for fringe players.

Current set up is:

------------------------Sommer--------------------------
---Bennett-------Reginiussen-----Manoel--------Boyle-----
-----------------------Verratti---------------------------
---------Emmanuel-Thomas-----Bedoya-------------------
---Redmond---------------------------------Johnson------
----------------------Jelavic-----------------------------

Marco Verratti was the best signing I've made so far- bagged from Pescara for just over a million. Was Young Player of the Year in the Prem last year and in the Championship the year before that, now worth over £4 million- highly recommended. Playing him as a Deep Lying Playmaker in behind Emmanuel-Thomas, who is playing as a Box-to-Box midfielder, and Alejandro Bedoya playing as a Ball Winning Midfielder in support.
Adam Johnson is on the left playing as an inside forward, and Redmond is playing as an Advanced Playmaker in rotation with Buckley and Lansbury.
Got Jelavic playing as Advanced Forward but goals are coming from all over the place at the moment. It's really worth getting a CB like Tore Reginuissen and putting your team on very high workload for attacking set pieces- he got 10 goals in the Premiership last season. I got him for £5 million from Rangers, but he is at Odense at the beginning of the game, and will cost a lot less.
If you're trying to get promotion from the Championship, you HAVE to sign Pablo Mouche. Emmanuel-Thomas also turned out to be a great signing for £3 million in our promotion season- he is now my captain and is still banging in goals in the Premiership.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Cheers for this, lost in playoffs in 1st season then in 2nd season i was 12th and threatened with the sack but put this tactic into use and have won 6 on the trot and am 2 points behind swansea who are top :)

You're welcome. :thumbsup:

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
I have now been playing Bishop Stortford for a month and am now in my fourth season

1 - BSN champion and FA trophy
2 - Conference champs and FA trophy
3 - League 2 Champs
4 24 games in and 11 points clear

Spent a max of 1k and moving into a new stadium next season :) IT CAN BE DONE!

MikeySmall

Jul 7, 2003
BRIGHTON
I have now been playing Bishop Stortford for a month and am now in my fourth season

1 - BSN champion and FA trophy
2 - Conference champs and FA trophy
3 - League 2 Champs
4 24 games in and 11 points clear

Spent a max of 1k and moving into a new stadium next season :) IT CAN BE DONE!

Im manager of Cambridge United - got promoted in my 1st season via the playoffs (George Barker 43 goals) struggled early on in League 2 but reckon Ill be up there at the end of the season.

Spent 0k - wages under 15k all in.

fruitnveg

Jul 22, 2010
Waitrose. Veg aisles
I've only just started playing.

Started the game unemployed, took the job at Leicester on 3rd Dec 2011 after Sven was given the heave-ho with the team sitting pretty in 24th place. I've managed 3 wins, 2 draws and 2 loses since I took charge including an 2-1 victory over Palarse and an impressive (even if i do say so myself) 4-1 drubbing of QPR in the FA cup. Now up to 22nd while Palarse replace Leicester at the foot of the table :lolol:

Albion meanwhile top the table with Birmingham a close second :mad:

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Eastbourne did win Lg2 giving me 3 championships from 3 plus an FA trophy. Season 4 has started abysmally with 1 point from 4 games :O Not sure what's different other than having moved to the 6767 capacity 'Eastbourne Borough Stadium' which has clearly been gypsy cursed. Bristol City with Maynard, Adomah, Joe lewis, El Hadji Diof etc. battered me 3-2 but could have been 10-0 and one other opponent was paying a single player more than my entire wage budget. I do have alot of Swiss and Danish Regens though who I think are less good now than my peaked BSS team but who could be top Champ or lower Prem players in a couple of seasons so suppose this will be my rebuilding year before hopefully another 2 promotions in a row to make it 5 from 6. Think 5 from 5 could be done but the 5 Million on a stadium for a club worth 170k completely shot my finances last season and so I'm playing catch up this year. We'll see if I can turn things around by Xmas and push for promotion but if I can't win title it might be better to wait a single year.

Petee

Nov 22, 2010
Brighton
Still using the suggested tactic and have destroyed the prem so far and am 2nd after 11 games :D which included a nice 2-1 win against arsenal :)

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Fairly happy with how things are going this season.
Got Bobby Z back

11th in the table, in the second round of the Europa League, Semi-Final of the League Cup (5-1 up after the first leg at Anfield,) Won the Community Shield against City and we're in the 4th round of the FA Cup.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here