Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

**** The official AND ONLY 'Albion players arrested' thread ****

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
I just dont understand how The Argus can run a front page on "accused". People at that paper know that sort of headline can destroy you in the publics mind. I for one will be boycotting The Argus.

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
Perhaps an email to the chief reporter to let her know what u think of her shambles of a headline: emily.walker@theargus.co.uk

email sent, very polite "Tommy Elphick has been totally exonerated, whilst your newspaper has reported this fact it should receive exactly the same prominence as your headline saying he had been accused of a serious crime."

Seagull kimchi

Oct 8, 2010
Korea and India
email sent, very polite "Tommy Elphick has been totally exonerated, whilst your newspaper has reported this fact it should receive exactly the same prominence as your headline saying he had been accused of a serious crime."

Nice. That's a reasonable request - let's see how reasoned their response is. Good on you.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I just dont understand how The Argus can run a front page on "accused". People at that paper know that sort of headline can destroy you in the publics mind. I for one will be boycotting The Argus.

I know what you mean. He was never accused.

Very dodgy way of reporting it.

bpbill

Jul 13, 2011
I'm sorry, but I DO know of cases where witnesses WERE arrested.

Isn't this something to do with recording interviews under caution? also allowing formal representation?

For instance married woman is murdered police have no evidence to suspect husband and in reality believe he is not involved, however in order to gather evidence and move case forward husband is arrested under caution to enable formal, recorded, interview. Only difference here though is that husband is released (not on bail).

I could be completely wrong here though.

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
aaaaaaaaargggh!QUOTE]

no only if a judge says her name can be made public. Even women who have made malicious accusations, tried & convicted of wasting police time have sometimes retained their anonymity. May not be fair but that’s the law. She is protected for life.

Last edited by a moderator:

countrygull

Jul 22, 2003
Horsham

But were they arrested as witnesses, or were they also suspected of involvement? Similar to the talk of Swansea fans being arrested: it is far more likely that they were arrested because it is believed that one or more of them were under suspicion of involvement: but the only way to hold them all whilst finding out who may have been involved was to deprive them all of their liberty. A person questioned without being arrested is entitled to walk away.

watsongooal

Jul 7, 2003
Chislehurst
I have just jotted an e-mail as well- innocent until guilty, wrecking lives and careers without evidence, they should issue an apology etc etc

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.

Especially if they know the accused and might have a vested interest in seeing them get off ( i.e. providing a false statement ).

If you provide a false statement under a caution then you are guilty of perjury and perverting the course of justice. If you only volunteered the information then you can easily claim that you simply made a mistake and had a lapse of memory.

Generally, in circumstances where a possible suspect has the ability to influence witnesses the Police would prefer a statement to be made under caution as Lord B says, they are more likely to make the witness realise that they may face criminal proceedings if they don't provide the truth, rather than a made up story the witness might prefer to make their lives easier, along the lines of ' I didn't see anything and I wasn't there '.

Last edited:

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
I appreciate almost all the points of view on this thread, but there's a lot of naivety about the job of journalists and the way tabloid newspapers work. Not least that there is no point in emailing Emily Walker, because the design and wording of the front page would have been entirely down to the subs.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Wrong........if there is no evidence to suspect that a person has committed an offence (there has to be an accusation) no lawful arrest can be made. Charging is what you do at the end of the investigation.

Okay, then why did the Argus say "accused"? If a person is arrested under suspicion of a crime (with a certain amount of evidence but possibly not yet enough to charge), and they are released without charge, then how is it accurate to report that that person was "accused"?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here