4 Daniel Martin (Irl) Etixx - Quick-Step 0:00:17
5 Alejandro Valverde (Spa) Movistar Team 0:00:19
6 Nairo Quintana (Col) Movistar Team 0:00:23
7 Fabio Aru (Ita) Astana Pro Team
8 Tejay Van Garderen (USA) BMC Racing Team

and just when I think the day couldn't get any better:-

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
That punch was a little over the top IMO!

The bloke probably has a minor concussion after that, wasn't even that much of a nob as far as they go. Imagine if he had lamped the hog taxidermist :nono:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Stage 9: Vielha Val d'Aran - Andorre Arcalis, 184km
Lumpy!
After sending out a fair few messages on Stage 8 Team Sky will be looking to consolidate first, before hitting home their advantage up to Arcalis.

stage-9-profile.jpg

stage-9-1km.jpg

Prognostication - ok chaps, with probably my first cycling bet since Brain Cockhard on the Champs 12 months ago, here goes:-

As is customary with a Stat Nap this isn't me saying my man will win, more a case of he's overpriced.
Eduardo Sepúlveda an Argentinian climber, currently living in Andorra, and winner of the mountains classification at a race in February, is currently priced up at around 100/1.
But Skybet have him at 250/1.
I have so much confidence in Eddie I have forgone my usual £5 bet and am splashing out a combined total of a whooping £6 over e/w and win bets.

If my man isn't in the days break, it's game over as he'll not even be top 20 from the peloton.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Stage 9: Vielha Val d'Aran - Andorre Arcalis, 184km
Lumpy!
After sending out a fair few messages on Stage 8 Team Sky will be looking to consolidate first, before hitting home their advantage up to Arcalis.

Prognostication - ok chaps, with probably my first cycling bet since Brain Cockhard on the Champs 12 months ago, here goes:-

As is customary with a Stat Nap this isn't me saying my man will win, more a case of he's overpriced.
Eduardo Sepúlveda an Argentinian climber, currently living in Andorra, and winner of the mountains classification at a race in February, is currently priced up at around 100/1.
But Skybet have him at 250/1.
I have so much confidence in Eddie I have forgone my usual £5 bet and am splashing out a combined total of a whooping £6 over e/w and win bets.

If my man isn't in the days break, it's game over as he'll not even be top 20 from the peloton.

Break staying away? Just cannot see it today. It is just too hard, Sky will want to ram home that advantage. They have the peloton fearing them right now, I feel they will try and win again.

I have, like you, looked at overpriced riders. Though I have gone for those that made that front group yesterday. So:

Henao 40-1 and Meintjes 125-1 Both each way again, as I am expecting it to be between Froome and Quintana for the stage.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Break staying away? Just cannot see it today. It is just too hard, Sky will want to ram home that advantage. They have the peloton fearing them right now, I feel they will try and win again.

I have, like you, looked at overpriced riders. Though I have gone for those that made that front group yesterday. So:

Henao 40-1 and Meintjes 125-1 Both each way again, as I am expecting it to be between Froome and Quintana for the stage.

It must be tough (and expensive) being on the Dan Martin train.
To me, once again, he's the sensible bet, esp as like Eddie S he'll be riding past his front door today.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Is it wise to punch the fans?

As Boardman said 'if the fan can be punched without overreaching he's far too close'.

The Colombian chicken was less than a foot away from Froome while trailing a flag around his handlebar and front wheel.
Fair game as far as I'm concerned, getting a 200 SFranc fine would suggest the organisers feel the same.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing

I hope you lot know what you're on about, because that money looks really tasty.....

image.png

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I hope you lot know what you're on about, because that money looks really tasty.....
Have you not read any of the previous 208 posts :facepalm: :lol:

Although a £1 ew is a perfectly fine way to spend a Sunday.

Nobody should be counting their winning in Le Tour, at the best of times, and certainly not while the race is still so finely balanced.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Have you not read any of the previous 208 posts :facepalm: :lol:

Although a £1 ew is a perfectly fine way to spend a Sunday.

Nobody should be counting their winning in Le Tour, at the best of times, and certainly not while the race is still so finely balanced.

To be totally fair, I'm not even sure how an e/w bet in cycling works. Either they win or they don't! Regardless, it'll be on in the background, as it was yesterday. Difference is that a quiet punt with some pennies makes it all the more interesting. And it's sad to admit that I am a bit of a killer.... The last e/w bet I put on the horse had to be put to sleep, so fingers crossed for the guys I've picked today...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
To be totally fair, I'm not even sure how an e/w bet in cycling works. Either they win or they don't! Regardless, it'll be on in the background, as it was yesterday. Difference is that a quiet punt with some pennies makes it all the more interesting. And it's sad to admit that I am a bit of a killer.... The last e/w bet I put on the horse had to be put to sleep, so fingers crossed for the guys I've picked today...

1st, 2nd or 3rd pays out.

As said Eduardo Sepúlveda will need to be in the main break of the day.
If he doesn't make that then he doesn't have a chance at the finish, with the 'big boys'.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
It always baffles me why most days we don't get full live coverage from the organisers. The break forming is one of the most exciting bits to me and yet we have to follow it teletext stylee via a live ticker.

See... Bert has attacked already today and yet we can't watch it happening :angry:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Pinot looking nailed on KoM this year now. Was only about 4/1 after yesterday though.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
It always baffles me why most days we don't get full live coverage from the organisers. The break forming is one of the most exciting bits to me and yet we have to follow it teletext stylee via a live ticker.

See... Bert has attacked already today and yet we can't watch it happening :angry:

It has been on Eurosport since the beginning.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Alejandro Valverde, Winner Anacona, Jesus Herrada (Movistar), Diego Rosa, Luis Leon Sanchez (Astana), Rafal Majka, Peter Sagan (Tinkoff), Alexis Vuillermoz (AG2R-LaMondiale), George Bennett (Lotto-Jumbo), Mathias Frank, Stef Clement, Jérôme Coppel (IAM), Natnael Berhane (Dimension Data), Tom Dumoulin (Giant), Thibaut Pinot (FDJ), Rui Costa, Tsgabu Grmay (Lampre-Merida), Thomas De Gendt, Tony Gallopin (Lotto-Soudal), Dani Navarro, Nicolas Edet (Cofidis).

Loving the composition of this break, especially so with 3 Movistar riders, 2 Astana in there and no Sky. Surprised Bert and Henao aren't in there as they were off the front early.

Fingers crossed for some long range GC attacks today or at least the Sky train to be burnt up much earlier than normal.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Break getting reeled in. Be all back together in the next ten minutes, unless some riders jump off the front of the break.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
As Boardman said 'if the fan can be punched without overreaching he's far too close'.

The Colombian chicken was less than a foot away from Froome while trailing a flag around his handlebar and front wheel.
Fair game as far as I'm concerned, getting a 200 SFranc fine would suggest the organisers feel the same.
Fair game, yes, but you don't want to get punched back while you're doing a tour. A gentle push should get the same result of moving them away.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Fair game, yes, but you don't want to get punched back while you're doing a tour. A gentle push should get the same result of moving them away.
The thing is it will happen again today, it'll happen up Vonteux, it'll happen again in the Alpes.
It is a fact of cycling and it's always dealt with the same way, either by the riders or other fans. (It looked like the chicken was going to receive more of the same from a fan)
Yesterday was highlighted because it was Froome, nothing more.

Youtube loves a montage of fans ruining races.
There isn't a sportsman in the world who, when faced with his entire year of effort ended by a giant Colombian chicken, would be handing out a gentle push.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here