The Official, 103rd Tour de France, thread

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Stage 8 preview: Pau - Bagnères-de-Luchon, 183km

This has to be GC all the way. with big attacks up the Col de Peyresourde hoovering up any breakaway.

stage-8-profile.jpg

stage-8-col-du-tourmalet.jpg

stage-8-col-de-peyresourde.jpg

Froome
Quintana
TJ

I watch the Le Tour every year and love it, but can't claim to understand the tactics.

This thread has been a great accessory to my viewing. The tips for who to watch out for on each stage and the dissections after the day events have been very informative. I have learnt more on here than I have listening to the commentators on ITV4.

Keep up the good work.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I watch the Le Tour every year and love it, but can't claim to understand the tactics.

This thread has been a great accessory to my viewing. The tips for who to watch out for on each stage and the dissections after the day events have been very informative. I have learnt more on here than I have listening to the commentators on ITV4.

Keep up the good work.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

I'm so down on the Tour this year due to the defensive nature of the riding.
I had decided this thread, next year, probably wasn't worth the effort of all the detail and predictions. (Something I had hoped would lead to lively AM debate as everyone else calls me a moron. :lol: )

Jeep

Aug 1, 2003
I'm getting more than a little obsessed by [MENTION=705]Jeep[/MENTION]'s fantasy team.

I reckon he's closing in on the other Fantasy holy grail - go on my son.

We're on our way! Methinks it's time to start those furtive glances over your shoulder...

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Today's prediction. More boring defensive riding. The descent off the final climb is long and straight, and not too steep apparently. No value in attacking over it. The hardest climbs are at the beginning getting progressively easier. So no point attacking early. It would take Sky, Astana or Movistar deciding to tear it up from the Tourmalet for this to be a truly exciting stage. Hope I am wrong, but cannot see it.

As for bets I've gone for the same as yesterday. Dan Martin 18-1, Richie Porte 28-1 and I have added in Alaphillippe at 33-1. All each way.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I've given up waiting for GC action. Perhaps they're all waiting for tomorrow.

I'm thinking any of the following from a long list for the break - Pantano, Plaza, Edet, Teklehamanot, Berhane, Majka or Tommy V.

As such I won't bother betting as I can't even remember the last time I picked a winner :(

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Well Allaphillippe won't be winning today. Already four minutes behind the peloton.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This'll stop the smirking about the 1km inflatable.

Matt White, angrily said:-

He's ok, he was lucky he landed on his face.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Onboard camera - Stage 7 L'Isle-Jourdain / Lac de Payolle

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I find it hard to believe Team Sky will want to drag this lot to and up the Peryesourde, and yet here we are.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Well Allaphillippe won't be winning today. Already four minutes behind the peloton.

It's strange that Alaphillipe dropped off the back of the peloton as he appears to have attacked earlier just before Pinto and Majka. Unless the cyclingnews ticker confused him with Tony Martin, but that doesn't make sense as he attacked after Pinto & Majka.

Having said that, Alaphillipe looked in real trouble when Movistar put the hammer down the other day. Was probably always going to do well to hang in there today and so attack was probably his best form of defence today.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I find it hard to believe Team Sky will want to drag this lot to and up the Peryesourde, and yet here we are.

I wouldn't be too concerned about another dull stage today though with a sky train and attack in the last 3km. For one thing we have a descent finish. But more importantly, looking at the composition of this break and how much rope they're being given, we are nailed on for GC attacks now I'd say. I wish I could transfer my Bardet bet from yesterday to today.

Looks like we're finally going to get some racing today :)

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I wouldn't be too concerned about another dull stage today though with a sky train and attack in the last 3km. For one thing we have a descent finish. But more importantly, looking at the composition of this break and how much rope they're being given, we are nailed on for GC attacks now I'd say. I wish I could transfer my Bardet bet from yesterday to today.

Looks like we're finally going to get some racing today :)

Yep looking good for some fireworks. Be interesting to see if Froome attacks over the final climb. Really hope Yates can hang for yellow.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Harsh on Majka that. Why not let him have the points?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Froome really has to make this count.
If Sky screw up this numerical advantage and have him crossing the line with Quintana, Dave will be worried going forward.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Maybe CF has decided he wants to be an a/hole Yellow jersey wearer in the fine traditions of Merckx and Hinault.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

It's Majka, fvck him! Selfish rider.

Kelderman down. Those Rabobank boys know how to crash alright. Think G must have learnt everything he knows from them.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Eurosport decide to show Lemond talking about the '86 TdF when the race is on with 25km to go :nono:

pb21

Apr 23, 2010

I wondered if Froome was confused and thought it was Contador? Does Froome have history Majka, can't imagine he is that fussed with the PD Jersey?

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
It's Majka, fvck him! Selfish rider.

Kelderman down. Those Rabobank boys know how to crash alright. Think G must have learnt everything he knows from them.

Kelderman back on. Lucky really, could have been much worse with his tyre coming off.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports