Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Official, 103rd Tour de France, thread

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I thought of mentioning Gautier for the break but thought he might be needed for Bardet. As it happens, he might be useful for Bardet to bridge to if he decides to attack later on. Some technical descending near the end so Bardet might see this as a chance to gain some time.

Either way, this is going to be a cracking stage today.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Impressive break already 6mins up the road after 40kms.

VAN AVERMAET, Greg (BMC), PAUWELS, Serge (DDD), SICARD, Romain (DEN), GAUTIER, Cyril (ALM), GRIVKO, Andriy (AST), HUZARSKI, Bartosz (BOA), VACHON, Florian (FVC), DE GENDT, Thomas (LTS), MAJKA, Rafal (TNK)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Bit of a shame I ruined my prognostications with a random 1,2,3 :facepalm:

That was a good stage.
Prudhomme has always said, half jokingly and very ruefully, he'd love a medium mountains tour.
No HC climbs, no monument climbs, just lots of stages varying on today's theme.

A few more of them would lead to great attritional cycling, where the GC boys would have to be switched on all the time.

I thought for a moment AG2R had Froome, they certainly got Sky panicked.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I feel a bit let down by that stage today to be honest. Of all the things that could have happened, and there were a good few scenarios, what did happen was all a bit meh to what could have been.

Pleased for GVA though. After a crash ruined what was shaping up to be his best classics season ever, this is a very well deserved, and totally unexpected, result for him.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I feel a bit let down by that stage today to be honest. Of all the things that could have happened, and there were a good few scenarios, what did happen was all a bit meh to what could have been.

Pleased for GVA though. After a crash ruined what was shaping up to be his best classics season ever, this is a very well deserved, and totally unexpected, result for him.

Quite, my post of what a brilliant stage with 20km to go seems a bit premature now...it all fizzled out a bit despite a cracking win for GVA.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
ITV ditch Phil and Paul... so how’s the new line-up doing?

A number of viewers have been taken aback to discover that ITV are no longer using Phil Liggett and Paul Sherwen for commentary during this year’s Tour de France. The two long-serving stalwarts have been replaced by sports journalist Ned Boulting and recently-retired pro David Millar.

If you watch any other races on ITV, the departure of Liggett and Sherwen was no surprise. Boulting and Millar have been slowly phased in after making a somewhat awkward debut together commentating on last year’s inaugural Tour de Yorkshire, and all the pieces then seemed to be in place when cycling journalist Daniel Friebe stepped into Boulting’s previous role as roving reporter for last month’s Criterium du Dauphiné.

The Ride Velo (link is external) blog reports that Phil and Paul have been working for American TV on a contract that ITV then opted into. This of course meant that ITV have had no editorial control over those commentating on the race.

As ITV’s Tour anchor Gary Imlach put it: “Can you imagine in any other sport, in football or anything, not having your own commentators and having to just opt in or out? It's just a nonsense. We've not been in charge of our own commentators… So it's been a nonsense and should've been sorted out a while ago."

AdTech Ad
Which isn’t to say that everyone’s happy about the change. Phil and Paul have been doing the job for as long as many of us can remember and the end of an era isn’t always embraced.

The one thing you can count on when it comes to people’s views on sports commentators is disagreement. This is particularly true in cycling where the long hours allow a degree of familiarity that many welcome – but which others find can easily tip over into contempt.

Millar certainly brings a different angle having only recently retired from racing, but Boulting himself points out that “part of the joy of the Tour de France is France” – an acknowledgement that for many people the sport itself is but one aspect of the experience of following the race (and not necessarily the most important one).

So how do you think the new team is performing? Does Boulting bring freshness and enthusiasm or do you miss Liggett’s distinctive timbre? Is Millar too monotonous or are you just happy to have someone who can make a better fist of pronouncing the riders’ names?

http://road.cc/content/news/196307-itv-ditch-phil-and-paul-so-how’s-new-line-doing

I'm surprised we haven't mentioned this elephant in the room.

I was all set for videoing on Eurosport, until I switched over to ITV, on Saturday, to find Phil and Paul gone.
I'm very happy with Ned and Millar, good knowledge, great insight from Dave, while Ned keeps him in check with quick wit.

I did catch Cav's close sprint finish on Eurosport and Carlton called that brilliantly, Ned wasn't even in the same orbit.
But then he finished with 'that was close, we'll have to look back at Angers' - Pure Kirby :tosser:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
1 Greg Van Avermaet (Bel) BMC Racing Team 5:31:36
2 Thomas De Gendt (Bel) Lotto Soudal 0:02:34
3 Rafal Majka (Pol) Tinkoff Team 0:05:04
4 Joaquin Rodriguez (Spa) Team Katusha
5 Daniel Martin (Irl) Etixx - Quick-Step 0:05:07
6 Bartosz Huzarski (Pol) Bora-Argon 18
7 Julian Alaphilippe (Fra) Etixx - Quick-Step
8 Adam Yates (GBr) Orica-BikeExchange
9 Christopher Froome (GBr) Team Sky
10 Tejay Van Garderen (USA) BMC Racing Team

General classification after stage 5

1 Greg Van Avermaet (Bel) BMC Racing Team 25:34:46
2 Julian Alaphilippe (Fra) Etixx - Quick-Step 0:05:11
3 Alejandro Valverde (Spa) Movistar Team 0:05:13
4 Joaquin Rodriguez (Spa) Team Katusha 0:05:14
5 Christopher Froome (GBr) Team Sky 0:05:17
6 Warren Barguil (Fra) Team Giant-Alpecin
7 Nairo Quintana (Col) Movistar Team
8 Fabio Aru (Ita) Astana Pro Team
9 Pierre Rolland (Fra) Cannondale-Drapac
10 Daniel Martin (Irl) Etixx - Quick-Step

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Stage 6 preview: Arpajon-sur-Cère - Montauban, 187 km

stage-6-profile.png

Prognostication:-

A committed break should get this one ahead tired sprint trains, but as that could be anybody I'm going for a selective sprint finish.

1 - Brain
2 - Edward Theuns (50/1 :wink:)
3 - Sagan.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Stage 6 preview: Arpajon-sur-Cère - Montauban, 187 km

View attachment 76382

Prognostication:-

A committed break should get this one ahead tired sprint trains, but as that could be anybody I'm going for a selective sprint finish.

1 - Brain
2 - Edward Theuns (50/1 :wink:)
3 - Sagan.

It's got a touch of Milan - San Remo that profile, could be a very interesting final 40km if the sprinters get over that last cat3 lump.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
It's got a touch of Milan - San Remo that profile, could be a very interesting final 40km if the sprinters get over that last cat3 lump.

It's nothing like Milan San Remo. Climb is far too far out and not really selective at all. Last chance for sprinters for a while. I'd be amazed if any sprinters don't make it into the bunch sprint.

Groenewegen to go one better and at least podium it.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It's nothing like Milan San Remo. Climb is far too far out and not really selective at all. Last chance for sprinters for a while. I'd be amazed if any sprinters don't make it into the bunch sprint.

Groenewegen to go one better and at least podium it.

You're probably right, having just reminded myself of the profile, not sure what I was thinking there...:jester:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hopefully it'll be an energetic 'will they won't they' 40 km chase to the line.
We'll get a decent idea as to which way that will go when we see who makes the break.

Meanwhile, yesterday looked like this:-

Last edited:

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach

I'm surprised we haven't mentioned this elephant in the room.

I was all set for videoing on Eurosport, until I switched over to ITV, on Saturday, to find Phil and Paul gone.
I'm very happy with Ned and Millar, good knowledge, great insight from Dave, while Ned keeps him in check with quick wit.

I did catch Cav's close sprint finish on Eurosport and Carlton called that brilliantly, Ned wasn't even in the same orbit.
But then he finished with 'that was close, we'll have to look back at Angers' - Pure Kirby :tosser:

I still miss Duffers & his long chats about cheese, wine & French cafes.... :eek:(

I am coming around to Millar & Boulting - I grew up listening to Phil & Paul &, in my opinion, they will always be THE voices of cycling on TV for me...but times change. I'd prefer them to still be on our screens, but I like Millar....and Ned is getting there. They will make a decent partnership for a few years I reckon.

I also like the Eurosport coverage tbh. Carlton Kirby does his job well enough &, after a few years of trying, I'm finally able to translate what Sean Kelly says before he goes on to something else....Thor Hushovd has transferred to the commentators box well too IMO.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

A number of viewers have been taken aback to discover that ITV are no longer using Phil Liggett and Paul Sherwen for commentary during this year’s Tour de France. The two long-serving stalwarts have been replaced by sports journalist Ned Boulting and recently-retired pro David Millar.
I have to admit I hadn't even noticed, weirdly! But there seem to be even more adverts than ever.

Wish they'd bring back the old music too!

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Worth noting that we start Stage 6 with all 198 riders still in the race. The last time this happened that Stage 6 was started with all the riders was 2000.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Worth noting that we start Stage 6 with all 198 riders still in the race. The last time this happened that Stage 6 was started with all the riders was 2000.

That is worth noting because, as you say, it's very rare to get to this stage without abandons. Massive reapect must go to Sam Bennett and Michael Morkov who are clearly suffering badly after that stage one horrendous crash yet refuse to give up, despite hanging off the back of the peloton every day since.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here