Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Official, 103rd Tour de France, thread

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
It's all very well saying the other teams don't want to attack, but with Sky so strong they pretty much know it's futile.

Sky don't love cycling as their logo claims. They just want to kill it. Zzzzzzzz.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Oh! Movistar making the race...

by putting one man on the front :facepalm:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
It's all very well saying the other teams don't want to attack, but with Sky so strong they pretty much know it's futile.

Sky don't love cycling as their logo claims. They just want to kill it. Zzzzzzzz.

I think the rivals just have not got the strength to attack. A bit boring really just a race of attrition.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle

I get what you are saying but the other teams need to think outside the box. They know they cannot make it difficult on the climbs, so why not push on the flat? Why not try not letting the break go, so that all sorts of people launch an attack later in the stage? Why not drive it on the very first climb and make sure Stannard, Rowe and Kirienka get dropped, then the climbers have to ride the flat part of the stage? Why not just try anything? Sky are one team, it would be in at least five other teams interest to challenge them, why not team up?

Sadly the other teams lack the ambition, and the guts, to try and change the script that Sky and Froome set as early as Stage 8.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

They do love cycling, they also love winning.

Many nationalities would embrace those qualities from their de-facto national team.
You'd never make it as an American :lol:

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
I was literally struggling to stay awake during that, massive snoozefest.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
They do love cycling, they also love winning.

Many nationalities would embrace those qualities from their de-facto national team.
You'd never make it as an American :lol:

Much as I love seeing success for British riders the Team Sky machine is starting to mimic Mercedes in F1. The other teams realise they cannot beat them unless there is a freak mishap like on Ventoux - or riders within Team Sky don't stick to the script. Can't see G punting Froome off at the last corner though.... Would like to see a team like MovieStar at least work together to have a real go at Froome, just to stir things up.

I think that's why I'm feeling more of a buzz on this TdF for Adam Yates. But how long before he signs for Sky?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
For all the talk of metronomic cycling by numbers, Froome didn't half looked battered crossing the line.

He could have just followed the wheels in that final 2kms, instead of chasing down Porte.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

1 Ilnur Zakarin (Rus) Team Katusha 4:36:33
2 Jarlinson Pantano (Col) IAM Cycling 0:00:55
3 Rafal Majka (Pol) Tinkoff Team 0:01:26
4 Kristijan Durasek (Cro) Lampre - Merida 0:01:32
5 Brice Feillu (Fra) Fortuneo - Vital Concept 0:02:33
6 Thomas Voeckler (Fra) Direct Energie 0:02:46
7 Domenico Pozzovivo (Ita) AG2R La Mondiale 0:02:50
8 Stef Clement (Ned) IAM Cycling 0:02:57
9 Steve Morabito (Swi) FDJ 0:04:38
10 Richie Porte (Aus) BMC Racing Team 0:07:59
11 Christopher Froome (GBr) Team Sky
12 Adam Yates (GBr) Orica-BikeExchange 0:08:07
13 Romain Bardet (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale 0:08:10
14 Fabio Aru (Ita) Astana Pro Team 0:08:18
15 Louis Meintjes (RSA) Lampre - Merida
16 Nairo Quintana (Col) Movistar Team 0:08:27
17 Wouter Poels (Ned) Team Sky 0:08:39
18 Bauke Mollema (Ned) Trek-Segafredo
19 Daniel Martin (Irl) Etixx - Quick-Step 0:08:46

General classification after stage 17

1 Christopher Froome (GBr) Team Sky 77:25:10
2 Bauke Mollema (Ned) Trek-Segafredo 0:02:27
3 Adam Yates (GBr) Orica-BikeExchange 0:02:53
4 Nairo Quintana (Col) Movistar Team 0:03:27
5 Romain Bardet (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale 0:04:15
6 Richie Porte (Aus) BMC Racing Team 0:04:27
7 Alejandro Valverde (Spa) Movistar Team 0:05:19
8 Fabio Aru (Ita) Astana Pro Team 0:05:35
9 Daniel Martin (Irl) Etixx - Quick-Step 0:05:50
10 Louis Meintjes (RSA) Lampre - Merida 0:06:07

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I get what you are saying but the other teams need to think outside the box. They know they cannot make it difficult on the climbs, so why not push on the flat? Why not try not letting the break go, so that all sorts of people launch an attack later in the stage? Why not drive it on the very first climb and make sure Stannard, Rowe and Kirienka get dropped, then the climbers have to ride the flat part of the stage? Why not just try anything? Sky are one team, it would be in at least five other teams interest to challenge them, why not team up?

Sadly the other teams lack the ambition, and the guts, to try and change the script that Sky and Froome set as early as Stage 8.

That's all very well but a Fuente Dé ain't going to happen and we all know it. Mainly because sadly that rider had to abandon, and even Fuente Dé didn't happen against a team like the one Sky have.

Those riders that have the ability to pull off something and/or the team to do it with won't anyway because the fear of blowing up completely is just too great. They know it's mission impossible so will just protect what they have. In many ways it's hard to blame them really.

Yates v Meintjes for the white jersey is about all that's worth watching out for on GC really.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
That was some stage - I am away and had a dodgy wi fi connection tonight so only caught the end on the highlights, wish I was off for two days now.

Amazing looking setting - didn't recognise the climb

Yates for podium, unbelievable and Jens on punditry duties - fantastic

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Don't think he would even if asked. I think he sees himself, rightfully, as a team leader and GC challenger. That isn't going to happen if he joins Sky.
I think sky wanted Simon but not Adam, they wanted to stick together and Simon said something along the lines of, "why would I go to sky and spend every race grinding myself on the front for someone else all day"

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That's all very well but a Fuente Dé ain't going to happen and we all know it. Mainly because sadly that rider had to abandon, and even Fuente Dé didn't happen against a team like the one Sky have.

Those riders that have the ability to pull off something and/or the team to do it with won't anyway because the fear of blowing up completely is just too great. They know it's mission impossible so will just protect what they have. In many ways it's hard to blame them really.

Yates v Meintjes for the white jersey is about all that's worth watching out for on GC really.

The Cycling Podcast chaps were saying much the same.
When looking down the top 10 nobody has any incentive to rock the boat.

It's new contract time for many, other are happy enough were they are, and finally they questioned whether Quintana was actually the rider he's been talked up, or is he just 'The Shadow' - la sombra

Unless something outrageous happens hindsight would suggest the course was all wrong and design specifically for Team Sky.

Begging the question:-

'How would you design next years Tour to bring out the best of the race'?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here