The Official 101st Tour de France, thread.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Big Dave was pretty critical of Brad in The Cycling Podcast, without naming him specifically.

He's just not 'team' enough to play second fiddle.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Will be interesting now to see what Porte can do in a major tour as the #1 rider for the team.

I was about to ask whether people thought that Porte will now be supported to go for the GC. How do we think hew will do? Top ten? Podium?

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
Potentially stupid question to the geeks from a voyeur -
Is there a likelihood of another one of the Sky guys being able to step up and make a realistic challenge in the absence on this year's title? Am thinking everything is set up with the unique goal of getting Froome there.
Do teams have a back up plan for an eventuality such as this?

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Give him some stabilisers.

Or...

bin4853a9da9e03a.jpg

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
DB had already said last night that Porte and Froome would both be protected today, with Porte to step into the team leader position if Froome retired - which he now has.

Now I know people said carnage yesterday, but this is just incredible, what a stage, soon it will be quicker to count who hasn't fallen off!

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
This might be a proper geek statement, but I notice team sky have reverted to the 'old' version of the Pinerello Dogma bike today. Presumably the lighter, stiffer, more aero, 'developed with Jaguar' Pinerello Dogma F8 that they launched to massive fanfare last month cannot handle cobbles?

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
This might be a proper geek statement, but I notice team sky have reverted to the 'old' version of the Pinerello Dogma bike today. Presumably the lighter, stiffer, more aero, 'developed with Jaguar' Pinerello Dogma F8 that they launched to massive fanfare last month cannot handle cobbles?

In answer to my own question, the older bike has more clearance for bigger tyres and also has a longer wheelbase, making it more stable.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Potentially stupid question to the geeks from a voyeur -
Is there a likelihood of another one of the Sky guys being able to step up and make a realistic challenge in the absence on this year's title? Am thinking everything is set up with the unique goal of getting Froome there.
Do teams have a back up plan for an eventuality such as this?
It all depends on the strength of the team leader.

Sky Astana and Tinkoff are pretty much all in on Froome, Nibali and Contador.
This is by virtue of their abilities over the rest.

The other teams will have plans A, B and C as their priorities change through the race.

Wiggins is the obvious omission from Sky, even more so now.
Porte has been deemed the better fail safe option, to Wiggins and his 'characteristics'.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
G is a great lad. What a ride from him to get Porte up there after all the falls Sky had all day.

Again in the podcasted Brailsford interview he gave G a mild dig/back handed compliment.

Basically saying he's so good at everything, perhaps he should be a little better.

D

Deleted member 22389

For some reason I'm just not getting in to this years tour yet. Think part of my problem is not knowing who is who, who is the bunch and how close people are to knabbing that yellow jersey. Think I might print myself off a list of rider numbers, then I can put a name to it. At least when I see the Yellow Jersey I can see what numbers are around him. Anyone know where I can print this off?

The people I did know are out of the Tour now.
Think it was also mad leaving Bradley Wiggings out of this tour.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
For some reason I'm just not getting in to this years tour yet. Think part of my problem is not knowing who is who, who is the bunch and how close people are to knabbing that yellow jersey. Think I might print myself off a list of rider numbers, then I can put a name to it. At least when I see the Yellow Jersey I can see what numbers are around him. Anyone know where I can print this off?

The people I did know are out of the Tour now.
Think it was also mad leaving Bradley Wiggings out of this tour.

http://www.letour.com/le-tour/2014/us/pre-home.html

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports