The Official 101st Tour de France, thread.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Steady Tyrone. He's apologised to Gerrans already and admitted fault, as confirmed live on tv by the wheelsucker himself :p

Cav didn't take the start line today because of the injury. But then you knew that already no doubt :wink:

Well it looked exactly like the same thing that got Mark Renshaw disqualified a few years back. And no, just got back from watching UFC fighting so havent caught any cycling news today until now ;)

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Well it looked exactly like the same thing that got Mark Renshaw disqualified a few years back. And no, just got back from watching UFC fighting so havent caught any cycling news today until now ;)

Yeah but Renshaw was doing his headbutting FOR Cav, so the theory doesn't stack up :wink:

Anyway, back to the important stuff of today's stage. I do believe that's a certain Cyril Gautier I sight in the the small chase group along with the likes of Tommy V and Tony Martin :rave:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Had to pop out, what happened to Porte?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Had to pop out, what happened to Porte?

Bit of a tumble in the peloton. He went down with Nico Roche but Porte had to wait a while for a bike replacement so was over two minutes down to chase back on. Sky sent Eisel and Pate I think it was to get him back on as it was just as they approached Holme Moss and the break of the day was being caught.

My little bit of fun is over now. Cyril chase group caught already :(

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
ITV4 really do Le Tour proud IMHO. Low-key, knowledgeable comprehensive coverage, they could teach their football coverage colleagues a thing or two. A genuine pleasure to have it burbling away in the background all afternoon.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
ITV4 really do Le Tour proud IMHO. Low-key, knowledgeable comprehensive coverage, they could teach their football coverage colleagues a thing or two. A genuine pleasure to have it burbling away in the background all afternoon.

Always been that way, with the same main characters transplanted the C4 predecessor. I assume the same production co.
They have a true love of their sport. It's not about them or how much money they can wring from their next contract.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I leave for 15 mins and suddenly it appears as if Nibili is in the mix. Where's Talinsky?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Agreed.

I know Phil & Paul have their detractors, and to be fair a lot of the criticism is deserved, but I still like them. The overall coverage is good too from ITV. Much better than Eurosport IMHO.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Less ads on Eurosport, but ITV have put on a good show.

Well I suffer dodgy Eurosport streams all year round and they seem to have constant ad breaks. These past two days ITV haven't seemed as bad for that as they usually are.

Meanwhile, as you asked, Talansky looking very lively along with team mate Slagter. Came over 1 & 2 on that last little cat 3.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Yes, as Hamilton has said, less adverts. So I tend to spend more time on Eurosport, where I prefer the commentary of Carlton Kirby (and he also has his detractors) and Sean Kelly to Phil and Paul.

But the Matt Rendell, Gary Imlach, Ned Boulting triumvirate makes the actual analysis and coverage better on ITV. If I was only watching highlights, it's a no brainier.

Isn't it great to have a choice?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Just look at Cyril go! :) Putting in a big shift now for Rolland's KoM points. Oh.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I realise its commercial TV, but ITV have really gone to town on relentless ads over these last 2 days. Reminds me of the last day coverage each in year in Paris, when ITV do exactly the same. I never watch their time wasting ads, and flick over to Eurosport or look in on the British GP.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just to say the same as everyone else, the ITV team is fantastic.
When Phil and Paul are finally put out to pasture the coverage will be world beating.

Gonna play a snobby geek card here, sorry.
Knowing pro racing, knowing the field, knowing how P & P earn their money, its easy to say they aren't very good.

But I can see how a newbie would enjoy their company.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Just to say the same as everyone else, the ITV team is fantastic.
When Phil and Paul are finally put out to pasture the coverage will be world beating.

Gonna play a snobby geek card here, sorry.
Knowing pro racing, knowing the field, knowing how P & P earn their money, its easy to say they aren't very good.

But I can see how a newbie would enjoy their company.

When I was a newbie, I loved them. Back in the 80s. They are still exactly the same.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
When I was a newbie, I loved them. Back in the 80s. They are still exactly the same.

Same as, but I like that in a way. Takes me back and they know their audience.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports