Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Official 101st Tour de France, thread.

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
Marvelous scenes today. Fantastic party atmosphere in great weather. Yorkshire did the Tour very proud.

Real shame for Cav, would have topped the day very nicely, but then again, being Britain, there has always got to be a bit of drama. Brilliant ride for Jens Voight too, great character.

Looking forward to tomorrow, off to watch on the Cote de Blubberhouses!!!

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Looks like we were all wrong. No collar bone break, but a dislocated shoulder for Cav? And he's put his hands up, so to speak, for the collision.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I've had the most incredible day. The atmosphere has been amazing. Saw them past in Pool in Wharfdale at midday, then cycled to Harrogate to seem them 1.5km out. Tomorrow morning thinking of riding the course from Harrogate to Haworth and watching there. Yorkshire has done us proud, absolutely nailed it, the enthusiasm is everywhere to see. Chapeux!!

Good to hear Bold :thumbsup: Hope you have another great day tomorrow.

The crowds looked amazing on telly. Never seen so many people at mere cat 3 and 4 KOM points, it was like it was a mountain top finish! Plenty of admiring comments on the Yorkshire countryside too from people on forums that usually love knocking anything UK cycling related.

Some early reports suggesting nothing broken for Cav. That will be great news if so because the way he came over the finish line it looked like a certain collarbone break. Gerrans and Julien Simon ok to start tomorrow, which is also a relief.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Looks like we were all wrong. No collar bone break, but a dislocated shoulder for Cav? And he's put his hands up, so to speak, for the collision.

This is part of the brief report on the cycling news website:

A separation of the shoulder, also known as a separated acromioclavicular joint, is different to a dislocation in that it is the tearing of ligaments connecting the collarbone and shoulder blade.

Cavendish will undergo an MRI scan for further evaluation, and a decision will be made in the morning as to whether or not he will continue in the race.

Not a lot he could do really but admit to fault there. I see he said he'll be apologising to Gerrans, apparently.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Good to hear Bold :thumbsup: Hope you have another great day tomorrow.

The crowds looked amazing on telly. Never seen so many people at mere cat 3 and 4 KOM points, it was like it was a mountain top finish! Plenty of admiring comments on the Yorkshire countryside too from people on forums that usually love knocking anything UK cycling related.
Every other comment on twitter, from organisers, riders, and press, is a thank you to the fans followed by a plea to keep off the roads.
I can't help thinking that'll fall on deaf ears tomorrow.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Looking forward to tomorrow:

[yt]De5hf1DugDw[/yt]

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Every other comment on twitter, from organisers, riders, and press, is a thank you to the fans followed by a plea to keep off the roads.
I can't help thinking that'll fall on deaf ears tomorrow.

Great to see those crowds on the TV coverage, maybe not quite Giro style hysteria but they did get a bit enthusiastic at times. Thankfully I didn't recognise any NSC cycling geeks running up the road in their mankinis getting in the faces of the peloton..............maybe that will happen on Stage 3 :eek:

Now where did I leave that monokini..........................?

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
Great to see those crowds on the TV coverage, maybe not quite Giro style hysteria but they did get a bit enthusiastic at times. Thankfully I didn't recognise any NSC cycling geeks running up the road in their mankinis getting in the faces of the peloton..............maybe that will happen on Stage 3 :eek:

Now where did I leave that monokini..........................?

I dunno if anyone saw it on the tv, but I think on Grinton, there was a guy running alongside the bikes in just his shreddies, then ducked back into the crowd and a large Alsatian (dog!) went mental at him... Hope he bit his c***!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Stage details

Distance: 201km

Category: Flat

Highest point: 521m

The peloton will get their real introduction to Yorkshire roads today. The northern English county is defined by its punchy climbs and this stage is littered with nine of them. Its route is akin to some of the spring classics and will break up the peloton.

While it is possible we may see a sprint finish in Sheffield, the group will be severely diminished at the end of these 201 kilometres. After winning Liège-Bastogne-Liège, Simon Gerrans will be one of the favourites to take victory and perhaps even enjoy a second stint in the yellow jersey. Sprinters such as Peter Sagan and Arnaud Démare will also be ones to watch on this stage. They will have to be wary of the very technical finish that twists its way through Sheffield though.

If you don’t want to chance your hand in the sprint, the final two climbs of Oughtibridge and Jenkin Road are prime places to make your bid for the line. From the top of the final climb it is only five kilometres to the finish and a decent time triallist could hold a small gap to the line.

This stage could light up what can often be a dull first week of the race. Even at this early point, GC riders will have to look out as they could lose some time if they’re not attentive enough.

stage_02_map_670.jpg

stage_02_profile_670.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If someone can pick the winner tomorrow they are likely to be in the money.
It seems almost impossible to call, so I'm just going to throw some names out there:-

With possible winners - Slagter, Van Avermaet, Costa, Gallopin all around 30/1.
Visconti is no mug at 66/1
Trentin at 150/1 seems large.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
If someone can pick the winner tomorrow they are likely to be in the money.
It seems almost impossible to call, so I'm just going to throw some names out there:-

With possible winners - Slagter, Van Avermaet, Costa, Gallopin all around 30/1.
Visconti is no mug at 66/1
Trentin at 150/1 seems large.

I'm really looking forward to this stage. As you say, very hard to predict a winner.

I'd be tempted by Albasini if Gerrans is feeling sore but not sure he's worth it at @18/1. So I've gone long odds mug punter mode again with 50 p e/w on Cyril Gautier, seeing as I took him at 100/1 e/w for overall KoM. Took Edet at 80/1 for that too, so I could do with both being in the break today for some early KoM points. Betting more on what I want to happen than what probably will happen I suppose, but there is a very slim outside chance a decent break could stay away.

I'm lapping up all this extended ITV live coverage so far. Not a dodgy stream in sight for me for three whole weeks :)

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Here we go!

Right at the flag there's 6 men trying to form the break and sure enough one is a Cofidis rider and one is a Europcar. Here's hoping it's Gautier and Edet, doesn't look like Gautier though.

It's a cyril, but he's in the other team - Cyril Lemoine for Cofidis :facepalm:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
So first attempt of the day at a break and it's been allowed to go. Break is:

QUEMENEUR (Europcar), LEMOINE (Cofidis), KADRI (AG2R), BUSCHE (Trek), DE LA CRUZ MELGAREJO (Net App), FONSECA (Bretagne).

DE CLERCQ (Lotto) trying to bridge.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Anyone know the NSC fantasy league id?

You'll need to ask Pantani. Most people seem to have given up on it though.

Anyway, this Jenkin Road climb 5km from the finish of today's stage. Looks like a real brute!

The bloke riding it in this video says he did it on a 39/25 gear. Chapeau! I did Chick Hill in that gear once and it bloody near killed me!, and Chick Hill is probably less than half the length of this Jenkin Road. I soon changed the rear cassette out to a 12-29 to cope with some of the nasty little ramps round our way. Still holding off going to a compact. Wonder if any of the pros today go up Jenkin Road in the big ring?

[yt]buoAWz9aWnk[/yt]

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I've had the most incredible day. The atmosphere has been amazing. Saw them past in Pool in Wharfdale at midday, then cycled to Harrogate to seem them 1.5km out. Tomorrow morning thinking of riding the course from Harrogate to Haworth and watching there. Yorkshire has done us proud, absolutely nailed it, the enthusiasm is everywhere to see. Chapeux!!

Top stuff Bold. V jealous.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Did Cav make the field today or did he get thrown out of the race by officials?

Steady Tyrone. He's apologised to Gerrans already and admitted fault, as confirmed live on tv by the wheelsucker himself :p

Cav didn't take the start line today because of the injury. But then you knew that already no doubt :wink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here