Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Official 101st Tour de France, thread.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Don't think so, Gerrans has issued an official apology to talansky for taking him down.

Fair enough. Just looked to me at the time that Talanskys long look over his right shoulder was a lack of concentration and not looking where he was going and then he was down. I've got the highlights on now (having watched the live stuff back) ready for the post race interviews so I'll be interested to see what everyone has to say.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Having just watched that again on the highlights and seen the afters/interviews... Talanksy protesting his innocence, and Gerrans not exactly apologising, just responding to the interview question - "Talansky wants an apology" with " Well I'm sorry he crashed but.........."

I'm on Gerrans side here. Talansky should have been looking where he was going. Simple as that for me.

No one likes to see crashes, but on the plus side, Gerrans might just have nabbed 3rd off of Gallopin had he not clipped Talanksy's wheel. :D

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Garrans finished on the inside barrier, which is pretty crap of him. (I'm sure Cav had a rye smile)
There's no way Talansky was 'leaving the race up to the sprinters', he had the blinkers on and his blood was pumping.

If he was trying to butt out he's got some learning to do, there's a reason why you could have thrown a blanket over Porte Contador and Nibali at the finish.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Garrans finished on the inside barrier, which is pretty crap of him. (I'm sure Cav had a rye smile)
There's no way Talansky was 'leaving the race up to the sprinters', he had the blinkers on and his blood was pumping.

If he was trying to butt out he's got some learning to do, there's a reason why you could have thrown a blanket over Porte Contador and Nibali at the finish.

Exactly that. You just sit up out of danger in good time and watch the sprint unfold in front of you, surely.

Anyway, moving on......I have a few Europcar questions and observations:

1) KEVIN REZA - Really stepping up in this Tour. Right at the sharp end of things again today, and that wasn't even as lead out man for Coquard. He can sprint and get over bumps that a lot of the other sprinters can't. So, strictly here as lead out man for Coquard, or does today suggest he might be allowed the freedom to have a go for stage win himself at some point?

2) BRYAN COQUARD - Two simple questions here. Will he get a stage win? Will he arrive in Paris?

3) PIERRE ROLLAND - With Froome out, does he smell the outside chance of a podium spot? Or is he here strictly for his chance to dazzle us all with his head to toe Polka dots? I suppose he'll ride the exciting way he attacked the Giro and see what comes of it, might get the KoM jersey AND a podium spot if he gets lucky.

4) CYRIL GAUTIER - Clearly in form and a very strong rider. Is he here simply as an up the road dom for Rolland and Tommy V?, or can he get a stage win himself? Can he himself be a contender for KoM jersey if he ends up wearing it by default? ( I took him at 100/1 for that KoM eventuality).

Surely Europcar have to get one stage win out of this Tour. Who do you think is the most likely rider to deliver them a stage? Can one of the lesser known doms pull off a great victory like David Veilleux did in last years Dauphine? Talking of which...www.cyclingnews.com/news/david-veilleux-announces-his-retirement...fair play to him.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Exactly that. You just sit up out of danger in good time and watch the sprint unfold in front of you, surely.

Anyway, moving on......I have a few Europcar questions and observations:

1) KEVIN REZA - Really stepping up in this Tour. Right at the sharp end of things again today, and that wasn't even as lead out man for Coquard. He can sprint and get over bumps that a lot of the other sprinters can't. So, strictly here as lead out man for Coquard, or does today suggest he might be allowed the freedom to have a go for stage win himself at some point?

2) BRYAN COQUARD - Two simple questions here. Will he get a stage win? Will he arrive in Paris?

3) PIERRE ROLLAND - With Froome out, does he smell the outside chance of a podium spot? Or is he here strictly for his chance to dazzle us all with his head to toe Polka dots? I suppose he'll ride the exciting way he attacked the Giro and see what comes of it, might get the KoM jersey AND a podium spot if he gets lucky.

4) CYRIL GAUTIER - Clearly in form and a very strong rider. Is he here simply as an up the road dom for Rolland and Tommy V?, or can he get a stage win himself? Can he himself be a contender for KoM jersey if he ends up wearing it by default? ( I took him at 100/1 for that KoM eventuality).

Surely Europcar have to get one stage win out of this Tour. Who do you think is the most likely rider to deliver them a stage? Can one of the lesser known doms pull off a great victory like David Veilleux did in last years Dauphine? Talking of which...www.cyclingnews.com/news/david-veilleux-announces-his-retirement...fair play to him.
Maybe they'll be a clue in tomorrows preview :tapsnoseknowningly:

None of this Doris Stokes in a cold village hall trying to raise the dead while vaguely talking to the near dead nonsense.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Stage Details

Distance: 161km

Category: Hilly

Highest point: 901m

Tomblaine to Gerardmer La Mauselaine will change the perspective of the peloton from sprinting to general classification.
Although that will not be evident from the early breakaway and the teams involved, maintaining the trend of the first week, the breakaway is unlikely to be given a free reign.

As if infused by the countryside being ridden and the politics of 100 years ago, small skirmishes involving non GC rouleurs and climbers could escalate out to include riders with ambitions of a top 10 overall place, which in turn will bring the likes of Contador and Nibali to the fore.

3 categorised climbs in the last 30 kms, including an up hill finish means we can expect to see the break caught by a flurry of Frenchmen before the summit of the first.
Who knows even the youngest rider in the race, the forgotten Brit, Simon Yates might tag along in what's sure to be one of his last stages.
A good ride today, from the likes of Pinot, Peraud, Rolland or Voeckler, will see a French rider in possession of the polka dot jersey just one stage before Bastille Day.

They in turn may bring into the race riders with loftier ambitions but less confidence in the highest mountains such as Mollema, Valverde, and Tejay, who are all to close to Bert and Vinny to be ignored.

I think it'll either be fireworks or a home nation win, just like Wimbledon, you can't have both.

So put your money on Rui Costa. :lol:

stage_08_map_670.jpg

stage_08_profile_670.jpg

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Maybe they'll be a clue in tomorrows preview :tapsnoseknowningly:

None of this Doris Stokes in a cold village hall trying to raise the dead while vaguely talking to the near dead nonsense.

Oooh, how exciting!. Please let it be Cyril, please please!, I'll go all weak at the knees if it's Cyril :love: :lolol:

Edit: Just seen the preview. Right that's it, I'm out! :flounce: Rui bloody Costa indeed! :angry:

:jester:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
In the early days of the race it wasn't uncommon for riders to use corks on fishing lines to get an illegal tow. You put the cork in your mouth and the other end of the line is attached to the car/motorbike and you got pulled along. If you see an official, simply open your mouth to release the cork and wire. This was all much easier when they had to ride at night too...

Now 'sticky bottles' are used, but they're cracking down on this too with fines for riders that get caught. For medical and mechanical reasons riders are permitted to hold on while things (skin or bikes) are fixed on the move.

This is the book that should be written, but sadly the last 20 years + will mean it'll never happen:-

How To Cheat Your Way Round Le Tour.

Someone needs to collate all the stories of train jumping, bottle corks, bellows assistance, amphetamines, (they were legal) sticky bottle, drafting, etc and then ride the tour route only cheating.

You could also see how many forced comedy situations you can cram into each day, and write under the sudonym Jam Moore.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Sod it, I sound like a broken record, but I've gone 50p e/w on:

Cyril Gautier 50/1
Rudy Molard 150/1

Tied myself into this now I expect for every hilly remotely possible breakaway stage going :facepalm:

I don't get it, not in the slightest have I got a clue other than it's 190 odd geezers on bikes.

But it is beginning to enthrall me, jesus these boys are fit.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I don't get it, not in the slightest have I got a clue other than it's 190 odd geezers on bikes.

That's how it starts. You'll be a fully paid up geek within a couple of years.

:smile:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oooh, how exciting!. Please let it be Cyril, please please!, I'll go all weak at the knees if it's Cyril :love: :lolol:

Edit: Just seen the preview. Right that's it, I'm out! :flounce: Rui bloody Costa indeed! :angry:

:jester:
Costa isn't a tip just a throw away line as he doesn't feature in either camp that I all but guaranteed victory too.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Settle yourself in for about 3pm tomorrow.
Try and catch the action around lunchtime on Sunday.
Monday is appointment viewing.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Next part of my education guys (so far I have decided ITV4 for the highlights and on the look out for a good priced Garmin 200) is podcasts - I listen to many but looking for one to take to bed each night during the tour so whats a good one?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Next part of my education guys (so far I have decided ITV4 for the highlights and on the look out for a good priced Garmin 200) is podcasts - I listen to many but looking for one to take to bed each night during the tour so whats a good one?

I listen to 2, the ITV broadcast is enjoyable.
Thecyclingpodcast is also very good and knowledgeable.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005

If you want a new one, keep an eye on this site: http://www.satnav-discounts.co.uk/gps/product/cycling-garmin/garmin/garmin-edge-200/

Ignore ebay. Used ones eventually sell for nearly new prices. If you want a used one, join BikeRadar and monitor their classifieds. (sales - road parts).

If you think you might end up doing a lot of miles, consider the 500. I often wonder if I could improve by monitoring cadence and heart rate. Otherwise the 200 will do what you want and more.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
P & P are awfully certain the break won't get caught.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here