The NSC Christmas TV Critical List

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
To save us all trawling through the many and varied Christmas TV guides, and still somehow missing those little gems hiding in the schedules, post your "must see" programmes here.

Programme, channel and time.

Cheers :thumbsup:

I'll start with The Gruffalo's Child, Christmas Day at 6.30pm on BBC One.

Perfectly essential viewing for those with small children.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Christmas wouldn't be Christmas without watching Raymond Briggs' The Snowman 2.30pm, Channel 4 on Christmas Day. Half an hour of magic. :xmas:

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
The Many Faces of Les Dawson

24/12/11 21:00

It's actually quite hard to find Dawson's stuff nowadays so this should be worth watching.

Also, the Christmas schedule is a crock of shit this year. The level to which BBC comedy has sunk is genuinely depresing.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
The Many Faces of Les Dawson

24/12/11 21:00

It's actually quite hard to find Dawson's stuff nowadays so this should be worth watching.

Also, the Christmas schedule is a crock of shit this year. The level to which BBC comedy has sunk is genuinely depresing.

when is downton abbey on? i am currently on holiday in asia and need to set my sky box to recoed it....(via my iphone of course)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Absolutely essential watching and will have it's own thread, nearer the time.

Award-winning director Nick Broomfield battles the snows of Alaska in mid-winter, to find the school friends, family and Republican colleagues that in previous days gave their heart, soul and belief to charismatic, charming, intoxicating ex-hockey mum Sarah Palin.

But it's not plain sailing. People are frightened to talk, and the community of Wasilla makes Twin Peaks look like a walk in the park.

It's a devout evangelical community, with 76 churches serving a population of only 6000, and is the crystal meth capital of Alaska.

Who are the flying monkeys, the enemies, the friends, and - most importantly - are you with her or against her?

Join the quest and for Christ's sake buy some thermals.
Sarah Palin: You Betcha! - Channel 4

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
I used to love the 'Decisive Moments' documentaries that ran for two or three years - all about the best press photographs of the year - shame it's not on anymore

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Out of interest, which was your favourite era, the Caroline Quentin years, Julia Swahala or Sheridan Smith ? I liked the series, but can't believe how old the first ones are
The Caroline Quentin years for for me, and I can't stand her usually. (And yes, I'd like to see it come back as well)

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I miss Jonathan Creek too.
I'll defend the BBC on most things but they really are odd when it comes to detective stuff.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
The Caroline Quentin years for for me, and I can't stand her usually. (And yes, I'd like to see it come back as well)

To answer my own question, I would say the JS ones, mainly because the CQ ones have been shown so many times now. I thought Ms Smith did ok in her appearance, I wouldn't normally like her.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I'll defend the BBC on most things

I'm the opposite, apart from Nature/science type stuff at which they excel, 98% of the rest is pure garbage. I no longer look at the BBC1 listings to find something to watch, I think it's so bad (the same goes for ITV1). I can honestly say the only BBC progs I tune in for are HIGNFY and QI - nothing else.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I would gladly hoover up some Sherlock or some Jonathan Creek action with my bubble & squeak. And I'm all over Downton too. That Charlie Brooker end of year Newswipe is worth a spank as well.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
After 2 yrs absence it it back - worlds strongest man (C5) every night at 7.

I will also be partaking in a bit of christmas university challenge with famous alumnii.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports