Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The North Stand - Whats the point?

jezzer

Jul 18, 2003
eastbourne
From the posts on here, it seems obvious that there’s a definite acoustics problem which doesn’t help at all around the ground, when I was in the north for the Liverpool fa cup game it was great but being in my normal seat in wsu you can’t hear the chants hardly at all from up there, that are quite obviously loud enough if you’re in the north

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Thought the North was supposed to be the loudest and start the chants. Silent throughout.
59B23E7C-1410-4042-8F4E-E747250B07ED.gif

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
And for the poster bemoaning "not enough player songs"

Mitoma
Solly
Caicedo
Mac
Danny Welbeck
Gross
Veltman
Dunk
Steele
Sarmiento

All had their songs sung by the North today.
Not forgetting Ulloa who was interviewed before the game.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I listened and then watched on a stream today. Started off loud on the radio, quietened as the first half meandered on a bit (albeit with us in total control), second half sounded great throughout on the stream
I was there IRL and I'd say that's a fair assessment of my experience. Really very quiet towards the end of the first half but we responded to the electrifying football we saw in the second.

abc

Jan 6, 2007
Back in the Goldstone days maybe, but the North is now the smallest stand, you’re expecting 5000 of us to lead the other 25000…. A little help would be nice, but we get nothing from the two largest stands either side of us. Quite sure the North would join in if a chant originated elsewhere.
North stand at the goldstone held 5000

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I sit bang on the half way line so get a decent idea of how loud the north is compared to the away support. Its funny the difference in opinion you see, maybe its acoustics. West Ham were noisy first 15 mins, but then silent after we scored. The only other noise that came from them were the 'we're f***ing shit/you're getting sacked in the morning' chants. The north was noticeably quiet for up until our penalty but then ramped up through the game, decent in the second half.
About how I saw it too.

Assume it’s wind ups but there’s a few posters who love to have a pop at our decent support - odd.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Back in the Goldstone days maybe, but the North is now the smallest stand, you’re expecting 5000 of us to lead the other 25000…. A little help would be nice, but we get nothing from the two largest stands either side of us. Quite sure the North would join in if a chant originated elsewhere.
The north stand is about 2500/3000 at most. Surely the whole point of the club having a lax view of standing in the North from the very beginning was because this was where the cheerleaders were supposed to congregate!!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Their aim is not to be the loudest, it's to be the fastest. Prizes available to those who finish a chant first.
Very much this. Away at Stoke, I was in proximity to our singers and some of the song tunes simply don’t fit the lyrics. Vocal equivalent of cramming an opera into a nursery rhyme. It’s warp speed and I was straining my ears to understand the words. Not helped by the young lad next to me being pissed and basically screaming a dirge tailored off by a chorus of noises that reminded me of a zoo. Sort of needed subtitles. Have no idea what many of our songs are anymore, and that’s was being adjacent too. Back at the Amex, how the rest of the crowd is supposed to pick up the words from a distance I’ve no idea. Impossible.

Can we just to back to GOSBTS please? Oh…

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Police box crew vs rest of NS is not helping.
I was N1D - they’re getting songs going for every player, they’re trying to get noise going the entire game. The NSK or those under the box imho really aren’t the problem, it’s the number of fans in the North Stand who aren’t in there to sing, maybe just in there for cheaper tickets?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I was N1D - they’re getting songs going for every player, they’re trying to get noise going the entire game. The NSK or those under the box imho really aren’t the problem, it’s the number of fans in the North Stand who aren’t in there to sing, maybe just in there for cheaper tickets?
Entirely this. Also…Incredibly some people still don’t understand those singing under the Police Box, home of the NSK, cannot hear what some might be singing further along in the NS and vice versa.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If the north stand had 10,000 in it you can bet 9,800 would be in there for the ‘atmosphere’ with only 200 making some noise. Face it, we aren’t a loud crowd...
... other than once or twice** a season when we're stirred from our slumber.
At which point we take the roof off the whole fudging stadium with deafening, spine tingling, fervour making to usual passive passion all the more awkward.

** It would seem RDZ is fathering ruining that narrative too!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yep, we’re NS D, it was fine.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here