Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The North Stand is dead long live the South Stand

May 17, 2011
1066 country
There are people who walk into the concourse at least 5 times a half regardless of the score or the way the game is going. I don't understand why anyone would spend so much money going to football and only watching half of the game because they are in the concourse. The person next to me does this but I don't mind that because this person is really irritating.

Also, I thought the atmosphere against Ipswich was at its best after the second goal went in and loads of people left because we were left with the fans that do get behind the team vocally.

And the atmosphere isn't bad at the Amex when compared to other teams grounds when it's hard to see the crowd besides hear it, but it would be nicer if we made more noise.

And regarding the South stand, getting rid of a season ticket area in the middle of the South stand was a bad idea. I sat there last season and tried to get songs started but most of the people there didn't join in (I'm not moaning at them, some people like to just watch the football) and this season I moved to the North because I wanted to be in a singing area and I see a lot of people who didn't sing in the South last season sitting in the North, probably because its the same price as the South was and its a similar view. There is always going to be people who don't want to sing in the North stand when it's the cheapest place to go in that isn't in a corner.

I for one,( even though sitting in the south stand against borough) Got up about 6 times during the match to go to the little boys room. Not because I wanted to but because of six pints of Harveys & a bladder the size of a pea. :down:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
At the presentetion we were told the north stand would be the place for atmosphere to be created and limited standing tolerated,it turns out we were being fed a load of bollocks.Boring football and a lack of atmosphere created by rules enforced by our club realy is creating a shit day out

Sorry, so the club told you the North was where they expected the fans to create an atmosphere, they aren't, and somehow that is the club's fault?

You really are the thickest, most boring idiot on this board. If you hate it so much then don't go. You won't be missed.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
I've been in the North Stand since season 1 at The Amex and the atmosphere this season has to be the worst yet !
Doesn't help when you have young kids and Mums in there though giving you daggers when you are giving it large to the opposing team !

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I've been in the North Stand since season 1 at The Amex and the atmosphere this season has to be the worst yet !
Doesn't help when you have young kids and Mums in there though giving you daggers when you are giving it large to the opposing team !

To be fair, given the disappointing nature of the football on offer, it's not a wonder that the atmosphere has been largely subdued. I'm sure that given more exciting football (we can only hope) next year, things will improve.

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
There are people who walk into the concourse at least 5 times a half regardless of the score or the way the game is going. I don't understand why anyone would spend so much money going to football and only watching half of the game because they are in the concourse. The person next to me does this but I don't mind that because this person is really irritating.

Also, I thought the atmosphere against Ipswich* was at its best after the second goal went in and loads of people left because we were left with the fans that do get behind the team vocally.

And the atmosphere isn't bad at the Amex when compared to other teams grounds when it's hard to see the crowd besides hear it, but it would be nicer if we made more noise.

And regarding the South stand, getting rid of a season ticket area in the middle of the South stand was a bad idea. I sat there last season and tried to get songs started but most of the people there didn't join in (I'm not moaning at them, some people like to just watch the football) and this season I moved to the North because I wanted to be in a singing area and I see a lot of people who didn't sing in the South last season sitting in the North, probably because its the same price as the South was and its a similar view. There is always going to be people who don't want to sing in the North stand when it's the cheapest place to go in that isn't in a corner.

*Middlesbrough game, not Ipswich.

does anyone else feel we might be over analyzing this?

This! Also i have noticed that the north stand volume is not only affected by the result but areas of possession within the last thirds,it seems if we have a higher percentage of play in the oppositions last third during the minutes of 15-30 the north stand will be louder during this period,alternatively if the majority of the play is in our last third the s/w seem louder.on the occasions of equal possession in these areas the wsu becomes the lead vocal area??? Still collating data for the period of 45-85.

PS THESE FINDINGS ARE ONLY FOR SATURDAY 3PM KO

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Does anyone else feel we might be over analyzing this?

Yes. But as a Southstander (South-west Corner), I would request it not to become too noisy. I do like to grab a few zzzzzzz's now and then.

But one of the stand-outs of the season so far for me was the interaction between the South-stand singers and the Middlesborough "We're the South-stand Borough Boys", and applauding each other. Great Stuff.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
This! Also i have noticed that the north stand volume is not only affected by the result but areas of possession within the last thirds,it seems if we have a higher percentage of play in the oppositions last third during the minutes of 15-30 the north stand will be louder during this period,alternatively if the majority of the play is in our last third the s/w seem louder.on the occasions of equal possession in these areas the wsu becomes the lead vocal area??? Still collating data for the period of 45-85.

PS THESE FINDINGS ARE ONLY FOR SATURDAY 3PM KO

You mean that if we are playing attacking football the crowd are more engaged?

Oct 25, 2003
Sorry but if you're that easily put off to the point where you won't sing because of the type of football, or because some "mums with kids are looking at you funny", then you're not trying very hard

The atmosphere, or lack of, is down to the people involved. No-one else. Stop moaning and just get on with it.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Ah, a conspiracy theory developing here. If the build up play was more dynamic and engrossing then less 'refreshments' would be sold during the playing time.

Starting to make sense now.......

you mean that if we are playing attacking football the crowd are more engaged?

If you take the pitch in grids and and also section off different time zones through the game and then compare this with volumes of certain areas of the ground during saturday 3pm games you would find the results very interesting,also will be factoring in league positions and weather conditions .

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
With the North offering the fastest exit to the station, it will attract people who come by train and have a main criteria of being able to leave quickly, or early, the South will become the noise engine. Those who wish to sit in silence are not going to choose to sit near those rough away fans from up North if they can help it, those that want to leave early for a train will be at the wrong end of the stadium, leaving fans that want to make some noise and have some banter with the opposition and maybe a few that want to leave early for a bus.

I like the idea of a Family stand, somewhere you can take the little ones and not have to explain new exotic language to them, but there needs to be a space where a fella can let loose in the traditional way with plenty of colourful Anglo-Saxon language.
The ticketing website could carry a warning, like you get at the start of a movie on TV, "This seating area contains strong language and gestures of an obscene nature from the outset" and the pussys can keep clear.
The club should try to keep the North for the noisy boys, larging it up next to the away fans is going to cause problems eventually, probably when Bournemouths version of Liz Costa catches sight of a two fingered salute.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here