Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Non-League Football Thread- 2023/24 Edition

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Wednesday night Gateshead 0 Shots 1 after last weeks shambles of a call off . Stayed in The Travelodge 5 mins from The Tyne Bridge . Nice Half pint pub crawl of the Toon plus a couple of micropubs in Gateshead . £4.40 all day metro ticket ,£20 entry fee ,Bovril £2 . 77 away fans given in an attendance of 800 and something . Nice after to find a busy pub back in Newcastle [Lady Greys ]open till 3 am no bouncers ,no drunks just a chilled busy pub with a fantastic choice of ales and lager. Always love a trip to Newcastle.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Just a mention for Lil old Horsham YMCA who, (somehow!), have reached the Final of this season's RUR Cup, to be played at Lancing this coming Saturday evening 20th April, kick-off at 7.45pm.

The oppostion are Haywards Heath Town, the best supported team in the SCFL. So if anyone would like to come along, wave a black and white flag and support us underdogs, then that would be very welcome!
Good luck tonight to Horsham YMCA.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Wednesday night Gateshead 0 Shots 1 after last weeks shambles of a call off . Stayed in The Travelodge 5 mins from The Tyne Bridge . Nice Half pint pub crawl of the Toon plus a couple of micropubs in Gateshead . £4.40 all day metro ticket ,£20 entry fee ,Bovril £2 . 77 away fans given in an attendance of 800 and something . Nice after to find a busy pub back in Newcastle [Lady Greys ]open till 3 am no bouncers ,no drunks just a chilled busy pub with a fantastic choice of ales and lager. Always love a trip to Newcastle.
Apart from the distance you needed to travel, that sounds like the perfect away trip.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Absolutely it is. Including players playing for FA affiliated clubs the first time from Scottish and Welsh clubs. Applies to any player over the age of 11 as I recall.

It wasn't so many years ago the Albion sailed close to the wind during Brian Horton's spell as manager when at Gillingham. A central defender from an African nation played two games before an irregularity with his clearance came to light. A pity as in his two games he looked decent and even scored - at Barnet I think?

Years back pre the internet the risks were always greater for any club, pro or non league. Checking a players eligibility these days should in theory be more straightforward with FA player database potentially at fingertips for officials. Nevertheless at non league level where much of the admin will be carried out by volunteers, players without correct documentation will sometimes slip the net.
Imeka Ifejiagwa. I remember, I was at the game. He disappeared after a couple of games and the club never said why. Then someone I knew closed to the club let slip that it was discovered he supposedly had had ann arranged marriage for visa purposes, and got booted out the country.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Tony Russell's last home game at the Pan as he's leaving Lewes at the end of the season. Very sorry to see him go, he's bought some very entertaining football to the club. And sadly I don't think Lewes have the same contingency planning as the Albion

Last edited:

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Tony Russell's last home game at the Pan as he's leaving Lewes at the end of the season. Very sorry to see him go, he's bought some very entertaining football to the club. And sadly I don't think Lewes have the same contingency planning as the Albion
I'm not as sorry to see him go as you it seems. You're right it has been very entertaining, but also massively inconsistent.

My main gripe with him is that I genuinely think that he should have got more out of the Tanner/Maloney/Razz/JT team though.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
Following on from our trip to Crowborough Athletic a few months ago, we went along to Lewes for the first time today - last match of the season. This was closer to how I was expecting non-league to be (I'd never been to a non-league match before 2024).

Being sunny helped, I think, though it was freezing when we were out of the sun. Again - like Crowborough - we saw a few people we knew there, but this felt more like a 'proper' football match. Small enough to walk around the ground and chat, busy enough that (for the second half) the home-end terrace we went on was quite tightly populated.

Hashtag United have the very worst name and not the best chants, either. But at least they had a few dedicated followers. Lewes were a lot better than them.

We'll definitely go again once or twice next season too - but first next season we've promised to go to the relegation avoiding Eastbourne Borough....

IMG_2145.jpeg

IMG_2146.jpeg

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Following on from our trip to Crowborough Athletic a few months ago, we went along to Lewes for the first time today - last match of the season. This was closer to how I was expecting non-league to be (I'd never been to a non-league match before 2024).

Being sunny helped, I think, though it was freezing when we were out of the sun. Again - like Crowborough - we saw a few people we knew there, but this felt more like a 'proper' football match. Small enough to walk around the ground and chat, busy enough that (for the second half) the home-end terrace we went on was quite tightly populated.

Hashtag United have the very worst name and not the best chants, either. But at least they had a few dedicated followers. Lewes were a lot better than them.

We'll definitely go again once or twice next season too - but first next season we've promised to go to the relegation avoiding Eastbourne Borough....

View attachment 180950
View attachment 180951
We were there too. 2-1 win for Lewes.

They said at the end the crowd was 1700 and change against a season average of 900. Given the relatively small away following I guess it must help Lewes when Brighton don’t play.

For me Lewes dominated, but conceded on the break after the Rooks hit the bar direct from a corner and Hashtag went up the other end and conveniently found a lack of Lewes centre backs.

Good second half equaliser when the left wing / low cross combo finally paid off. As for the winner, I missed it recycling some Ouze Water. The boy had to tell me it was 2-1.

As you say in your post, don’t let the sun fool you into thinking it was warm. The wind was Baltic. We watched from the end Lewes were attacking each time and took a similar pic to yours walking round. The second half in the shade was freezing!

IMG_2077.jpeg

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
ED467A3E-3610-44C2-968E-EDAB9D4D6308.jpeg

Unbelievable result last night for Horsham YMCA.

What a penalty shoot out!

What that doesn’t show you, is the following drama:

YM subbed their GK in the last minute for pens.

HH had the chance to win it when YM missed, the goalkeeper stepped up, was saved, but YM keeper was off his line.

Retake, HH keeper takes his gloves off (Ricardo 2004) saved again off the post.

It went round twice.

Dirty Dave

Aug 28, 2006
Worthing
4-2 win for Worthing means they finish in their highest ever league position. 2533 there today and it was rammed. Lets hope for the same in the playoffs

Was an entertaining game. Shame Worthing couldn’t score another to make 2nd. WSM keeper made some great saves. Was lovely to see him and Ollie have a friendly hug after one of the saves.
I've just seen that the National League South play off final will be at 3pm on Monday 6th May.

That's good news as it had been showing as the day prior, clashing with the Villa game.

Just a shame Worthing couldn't score that extra goal to finish 2nd as the final will be at the ground of the team who finished highest, which will be Chelmsford if they win their tie

Last edited:

PascalGroß Tips

Jan 29, 2024
I've just seen that the National League South play off final will be at 3pm on Monday 6th May.

That's good news as it had been showing as the day prior, clashing with the Villa game.

Just a shame Worthing couldn't score that extra goal to finish 2nd as the final will be at the ground of the team who finished highest, which will be Chelmsford if they win their tie
Good spot (y)

LANGDON SEAGULL

Dec 9, 2004
Langdon Hills
Gateshead have just been refused permission to take part in the National League play offs as they haven’t got a long enough lease on their stadium . What an appalling decision to make two days before the match

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Gateshead have just been refused permission to take part in the National League play offs as they haven’t got a long enough lease on their stadium . What an appalling decision to make two days before the match
No way surely ?

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel

Worthing and Chelmsford have been taken more points away from home then at home this season.

Finishing 3rd could prove to be a godsend.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here