Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Non-League Football Thread- 2023/24 Edition

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
Haywards Heath vs Hassocks
Haywards Heath completed the double over Hassocks and in fairness have been the better side in both games, helped today by one of the softest penalties I’ve ever seen given to make it 2 nil and kill the game off. Can see Heath sneaking in the play offs at Hassocks expense as well now.
I also went to this as part of a double header. Haywards Heath were by far the better side in this.

Really like the ground with the one colossal old stand and basically nothing else. The new cafe looks nice.

I then high tailed it down to Worthing for the visit of Hampton & Richmond for the 3pm kick off. Worthing played really well in this clash between two play off chasing sides and won 2-0

reports of both to follow

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
Biggest crowd I’ve seen at Lewes, I’ve been when there was approximately 1600 against Eastbourne Boro 10+ years ago.
Guessing that must have been the season they both went up. Both teams were superb that year and a massive shame that Lewes had the financial issues and went straight back down. I remember it was neck and neck until Borough threw it away picking up 6 points in their last 8 games whilst Lewes won pretty much every game.

I'm pretty sure Borough only needed to win 5 out of the last 8 or so to win the league and they only managed one win. Thankfully they went up through the playoffs.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Guessing that must have been the season they both went up. Both teams were superb that year and a massive shame that Lewes had the financial issues and went straight back down. I remember it was neck and neck until Borough threw it away picking up 6 points in their last 8 games whilst Lewes won pretty much every game.

I'm pretty sure Borough only needed to win 5 out of the last 8 or so to win the league and they only managed one win. Thankfully they went up through the playoffs.
I’m trying to remember the year, I’m sure it was New Years Day. I think Lewes played Darlington in the FA Cup maybe that season and also had a big crowd.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Uckfield 0-6 Crowborough

Was as convincing as it sounds. Could have easily been double figures to be fair.

Pitch down one side wasn’t fit for growing cabbages let alone playing football on.

@jackalbion was there dressed like an upside down traffic light.
With my visit to Uckfield it does now mean I have now visited every single ground in the SCFL Prem. Which means I only have Alfold now to tick off in SCFL 1, and only East Grinstead in the Whole of Sussex. Maybe I'll have to dip into the SCFL 2 next season.

philgull25

Jul 29, 2005
Polegate
I’m trying to remember the year, I’m sure it was New Years Day. I think Lewes played Darlington in the FA Cup maybe that season and also had a big crowd.
I seem to remember the year after (2008/9) they played at Lewes on NYD in the national league and Ashley Barnes played and scored for Boro.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
With my visit to Uckfield it does now mean I have now visited every single ground in the SCFL Prem. Which means I only have Alfold now to tick off in SCFL 1, and only East Grinstead in the Whole of Sussex. Maybe I'll have to dip into the SCFL 2 next season.
I'm shocked at East Grinstead. I've been there with Hawks and I think I've only done a few Sussex grounds.

Who'd have thought I would have one on our Jack.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
I'm shocked at East Grinstead. I've been there with Hawks and I think I've only done a few Sussex grounds.

Who'd have thought I would have one on our Jack.
Just a pain to get to by the train (much like Uckfield) got to go up to London and back down. Will get it done soon I'm sure.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Just a pain to get to by the train (much like Uckfield) got to go up to London and back down. Will get it done soon I'm sure.
I did wonder that. I drove there. I blame Dr Beeching. I'm convinced he cut the East Grinstead roots to show he wasn't being biased.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
Yeah it definitely is - when you watch look at his mouth as West Didsbury & Chorlton is said. And the voice is different

Check the video again at about 1:20. I honestly don't know if I'm being wound up here or not but I've watched this clip a few times now and there's definitely no funny business going on. The lips sync perfectly and there's no change in the voice! If I'm being whooshed then fair enough. But the guy speaking to Steve (I think the character's name is Tim) definitely utters "West Didsbury and Chorlton!"

Last edited:

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Check the video again at about 1:20. I honestly don't know if I'm being wound up here or not but I've watched this clip a few times now and there's definitely no funny business going on. The lips sync perfectly and there's no change in the voice! If I'm being whooshed then fair enough. But the guy speaking to Steve (I think the character's name is Tim) definitely utters "West Didsbury and Chorlton!"

Ah, you're completely right! When I saw it I was told it was dubbed, then when I watched it a few times I think I was looking at the wrong character when looking to see if it was dubbed 😅apologies!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Too right, I can remember many years ago when l lived in London driving down to the Goldstone for a game, and my car breaking down in East Grinstead, (no idea why l went that way), the only option to get to the match by public transport, was taking the train up to Clapham Junction, and then back down to Hove.

Ended up just going home as there wasn't sufficient time to make the kick-off.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
Too right, I can remember many years ago when l lived in London driving down to the Goldstone for a game, and my car breaking down in East Grinstead, (no idea why l went that way), the only option to get to the match by public transport, was taking the train up to Clapham Junction, and then back down to Hove.

Ended up just going home as there wasn't sufficient time to make the kick-off.
I remember once driving to Chesterfield for a game and getting a puncture halfway up. By the time we got to the ground it was half time and the turnstiles had shut. We couldn't get in, so after a quick look at the famous crooked spire we turned round and drove all the way back.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here