Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Non-League Football Thread- 2021/22 Edition

I hope you found your way out of the ground, and in.
I went there for an evening game and could see the floodlights but not the entrance to the ground, missed about 20 minutes of the match :facepalm:
Been before so knew it was left at the hanging tree and along badgers copse to the rickety bridge over the uck and past the smelly swamp :moo:

Attachments

• IMG_20210914_210554.jpg
    IMG_20210914_210554.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 122

Although Littlehampton are in with a shout of winning the league (I fear they may fall just short), I don't think they'll be seeking promotion based on past experience. On the two previous occasions when they have won the County League they have chosen to stay put. I don't think the ground would meet the required regulations for a higher division; the fact that they share with the cricket club is part of the problem as they cannot make one side of the ground permanent and I believe that they also have to conceed first pick of August/September dates to the cricketers. That's why the Whitehawk game a couple of weeks back was on a Sunday. Also, the main stand is rather 'rickety', and that's being kind. New floodlights are good, though.

I'd love to be proved wrong, the population of Littlehampton has exploded over the last 20 years and should be able to support a team higher up the pyramid. There were 525 at the Whitehawk game, and 200+ is not uncommon - even without any real marketing. I've no idea whether there is any aspiration to go higher, I've always told myself that I would invest if I ever won the lottery....
Think they would take promotion this time???

Roadrunner

Oct 2, 2003
Littlehampton
Think they would take promotion this time???

They will have to play a lot better than they did today for it to even be a conversation! Went 2-0 up early at home to 'lowly' Hassocks before easing off and allowing the away team to level things up. An absolute rocket from Joe Benn (his 18th of the season already) and a cracking free kick by Mitch Hand gave us a 4-2 win, but it wasn't convincing.

Big row at the end when the referee blew for full time with Littlehampton clean through on goal. Somehow he only played 1 minute added time despite the 3 goals and 3 or 4 substitutions. Home team not happy!

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Hastings United progress to the FA cup 3rd qualifying round with a 3-2 win at Broadfields United . Garry Elphick equalized in the 84th minute and then saw the U's home with a late winner

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Slough Town 6 Whitehawk 0 FAC2Q

..... That's what you were expecting.

Try...

Slough Town 1 Whitehawk 3

:rave::rave::rave::rave::rave:

milliepops

Nov 8, 2011
at home
I went to Godalming Town v Billingshurst in Southern Combination 1 as it was the only ground in the division I hadn't visited.
Competitve but low quality affair won by the visitors 2.1 in front of about 80 spectators.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
The Emirates FA Cup third round qualifying draw has been made

The fixtures for Sussex clubs involved are as follows

Hayes & Yeading United v Whitehawk

Poole Town or Chippenham Town V Hastings United

Kingstonion or Horsham V Eastbourne Borough

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The national league has been interesting this season. Six clubs averaging over 5,000 with Wrexham averaging 7,500 and twice having gates over 8,000. I wonder what has happened there to get the Wrexham public down to the Racecourse?

Barnet and Aldershot sacked their managers today - both in trouble near the bottom. And it amuses me to see Southend in the shit (I have an irrational dislike for them - file them in the same bin as Gillingham) but how does Phil Brown stay in a job?

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
The national league has been interesting this season. Six clubs averaging over 5,000 with Wrexham averaging 7,500 and twice having gates over 8,000. I wonder what has happened there to get the Wrexham public down to the Racecourse?

Barnet and Aldershot sacked their managers today - both in trouble near the bottom. And it amuses me to see Southend in the shit (I have an irrational dislike for them - file them in the same bin as Gillingham) but how does Phil Brown stay in a job?

Ryan Reynolds and the Hollywood money have probably played a part

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds

I wasn't expecting to be saying this, but I've thoroughly enjoyed our first six games back in the National League. Last season was such a tough watch for Grimsby fans for so many reasons, and of course not having the ability to share your frustration in the ground itself, but what's happened since has been remarkable.

John Fenty, the man who owned the club for much of the last twenty years and has overseen the most disastrous period in the club's long history, has gone and in have come two, progressive businessmen and born and bred Grimbarians. The improvements have been small but meaningful and plentiful; improvements to the club's antiquated training facilities, some cosmetic work on the stadium, the installation of a new fanzone at the ground, the introduction of some really good catering options and local craft beer after years of inedible, burger van dross.

It might not sound like much, but after two decades of failing to invest in the infrastructure of the club and getting just about everything wrong, some basic pragmatism and good business practice feels like we've moved forward a few hundred light years in the space of a few months. As a result, the fans have been flocking back and we've had two sell out crowds on the trot including last Tuesday night against Deadpool's boyos - the first time we've sold out for a regular league game midweek since the mid 90s (a lot of the club's fans are exiles such as myself). The atmosphere was certainly like going back in time a couple of decades, in a good way.

Five wins and a draw from six; the good times have been few and far between since the turn of the millennium (or last game of the century was a late defeat away at Man City, which tells you something of both club's fortunes since then) so I'm taking the time to enjoy this while it lasts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcllKaqptxg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peapGEvb8-I

Last edited:

Roadrunner

Oct 2, 2003
Littlehampton
Just got back from watching Loxwood 0 Littlehampton 2 - what a great little venue they have up there. Very spooky tonight as well, with a full moon rising over the towering pine trees that surround the pitch and with mist bubbling up from the ground. Another two goals from Joe Benn (that's 20 for the season already) gave the Golds a hard fought win, moving them further ahead at the top of the table after a surprise home defeat for Pagham to Alfold.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here