Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The new FFP allowance and the future

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
It also means the central blocks can be cleared of fans to make way for the corporates by jacking up the prices even more to make supporters move out to the fringes.

Yes, can definitely see something like this happening. This is an area where PB hasn't had much room for manouvre in terms maximising revenue - I'd suggest the 1901ers might want to lube up in a year or so's time.

dennis

Aug 1, 2007
Cornwall
Its a bit like playing a fruit machine. If I had already put £15 in one and putting another £2 would give me a good chance of hitting the jackpot, I would say yes I probably would.

hopefully we'll pick up 3 crowns rather than 3 lemons

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
It also means the central blocks can be cleared of fans to make way for the corporates by jacking up the prices even more to make supporters move out to the fringes.

How does that work for those with a lifetime seat ownership license or whatever they are called?

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
i dont think we should read too much in to a quiet transfer window, given our postion i doubt we'd attract much of quality. better to save the cash and use a couple of loans to fill gaps, waiting for the summer to make a proper use of budget.
This is the most sensible approach and one i agree with. Unfortunately i can see some of our fans viewing this window as another lack of ambition by the club. Maybe that is the tipping point for some after a poor summer. Season ticket renewals came out on the 6th of Feb last year. I expect the same again roughly. Could the timing be wrong just after a very average window?

WonderingSoton

Dec 3, 2014
The approach we've been taking thus far will likely continue next season because the regulations are the same. We just have to hope that the balance Bloom strikes is correct, in that we stay in the division but do so whilst keeping costs under control. No point keeping costs so low that we get relegated to L1 - the hit in money the club would suffer would be huge.

The new regulations start the season after, at which point, maybe Bloom will let the purse strings go?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
The same as for anyone else I'd guess - pay the new price or move.

So they won't be required to move, regardless of the clubs desire to move them away to allow for more corporates?

Gully Forever

May 9, 2011
FFP will never work for the Championship for one simple reason, WAGES!.

Current wages of players are way above what ANY club can self sustaine!.
If you took away the sky and sponserships from premier league Clubs, They would also suffer as much as us!..

If however FFP was tackled by capped wages according to the League played in, and NOT who you play for, Then it may be far more likely to succeed!.
The ridiculous Wages from premier league (Supported by Artificial income) has now filtered down into the Championship, But Where is the Artificial income?.
There isn't any of course,, that's Why FFP is total Bollocks. And all it's doing is creating a Bigger problem!.

Last edited:

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
FFP will never work for the Championship for one simple reason, WAGES!.

Current wages of players are way above what ANY club can self sustaine!.
If you took away the sky and sponserships from premier league Clubs, They would also suffer as much as us!..

If however FFP was tackled by capped wages according to the League played in, and NOT who you play for, Then it may be far more likely to succeed!.
The ridiculous Wages from premier league (Supported by Artificial income) has now filtered down into the Championship, But Where is the Artificial income?.
There isn't any of course,, that's Why FFP is total Bollocks. And all it's doing is creating a Bigger problem!.

FFP could work if it was focused correctly - i.e. it targeted debt rather than losses - of course such a system will never be put in place because any FFP scheme has to be voted for by club owners.

Losses aren't the cause of a club getting into financial difficulties, they are merely a symptom - it is debt and lack of cash that causes any business to go under.

A simple formula that stopped clubs from being financed via loans and requiring losses to be covered instead by equity purchase would focus the minds of owners when it came to paying wages that they knew would effectively coming out of their own pockets with no hope of recovery at a later date.

Gully Forever

May 9, 2011
FFP could work if it was focused correctly - i.e. it targeted debt rather than losses - of course such a system will never be put in place because any FFP scheme has to be voted for by club owners.

Losses aren't the cause of a club getting into financial difficulties, they are merely a symptom - it is debt and lack of cash that causes any business to go under.

A simple formula that stopped clubs from being financed via loans and requiring losses to be covered instead by equity purchase would focus the minds of owners when it came to paying wages that they knew would effectively coming out of their own pockets with no hope of recovery at a later date.

True, But club's woudn't get into debt at all, If the wages didn't overshadow the club's entire Turnover!.

FFP stops capital injections to financially distressed clubs, which was mostly caused by Overbloated wages!.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
True, But club's woudn't get into debt at all, If the wages didn't overshadow the club's entire Turnover!.

FFP stops capital injections to financially distressed clubs, which was mostly caused by Overbloated wages!.

That begs the question as to why wages are so high - the simple answer is that owners have been willing to gamble on lending clubs money in order to get the best possible players in the hope that if it brings success then they will get their money back and if it fails they will still have a chance of recovering that debt from a future owner.

If clubs were restricted in their ability to take on debt in the form of loans then the only way owners could compete for players would be by injecting capital into the club via equity purchase. Investment that could only be recovered if clubs were profitable and the share value in turn was attractive. This by itself would restrict the amount available to pay out by way of player wages. It is all a question of supply and demand. Reduce the demand and wages will fall.

Ask yourself why our club has such a large liability in terms of cash loans to the club by TB - the only reason for this can be that at some future date TB will expect repayment - repayment that the club will be unlikely to be able to make.

Gully Forever

May 9, 2011
That begs the question as to why wages are so high - the simple answer is that owners have been willing to gamble on lending clubs money in order to get the best possible players in the hope that if it brings success then they will get their money back and if it fails they will still have a chance of recovering that debt from a future owner.

If clubs were restricted in their ability to take on debt in the form of loans then the only way owners could compete for players would be by injecting capital into the club via equity purchase. Investment that could only be recovered if clubs were profitable and the share value in turn was attractive. This by itself would restrict the amount available to pay out by way of player wages. It is all a question of supply and demand. Reduce the demand and wages will fall.

Ask yourself why our club has such a large liability in terms of cash loans to the club by TB - the only reason for this can be that at some future date TB will expect repayment - repayment that the club will be unlikely to be able to make.

Tony doesn't seem to mind the gamble!. It's in his nature!. But i think he has far greater investments overseas to let this passion drop!.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
How does that work for those with a lifetime seat ownership license or whatever they are called?

That's a tricky one , a renumbering scheme perhaps where the original seat number disappears and reappears elsewhere in a random row in an outer block ? :rolleyes: There could be a point of view that the PSL at the end of the day is reserving a particular seat for x number of years but not its physical location.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Given our respective incomes and savings, I reckon this is like asking me if I'd go down the local and spend £15, the day after going on a £100 drinking binge.

Sadly people never seem to take account of relative incomes, especially women.
As an example I know a twunt with a city job who flies his bint out to foreign city once a month, books into a 5 star hotel and dinner in a Michelin starred restaurant and later on gets vigorous unrestricted access to her bonus tunnel.
All the bints friends think he is proper romantic - yet the offer of a weekend camping in a nearby wood with tinned ravioli for dinner will not get any of them to offer up their chocolate starfish despite the relative financial and organisational input being equivalent.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
As an example I know a twunt with a city job who flies his bint out to foreign city once a month, books into a 5 star hotel and dinner in a Michelin starred restaurant and later on gets vigorous unrestricted access to her bonus tunnel.

This is what I don't understand about bankers, they are supposed to be good with money, yet this deal is clearly a rip off. No wonder the global financial system melted down if he thinks this is good value.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here