Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] The most thrilling stretch of road in the UK, has to be...

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It’s weird that. The UK’s only case of building over capacity, decades later still the same.
M23 was original planned to go up through to Brixton.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Hardknott & Wrynose Passes take some beating.
Done these, but, only once ! Mrs V's Dad is a Cumbrian and we had a holiday up there, hired a car and gave it a go ...it was bloody hard getting up Hardknott and even harder on the brakes coming down to Boot.... we went back to his place in Low Lorton the scenic/flatter route along the coast to Maryport then right ! Was proud for making it intact....

at the end of the week I dropped the hire car off at Penrith and they asked me if I had done the Hardknott/Wrynose...so I said yes but I shat myself and he said he had just had a Merc returned to him by a couple of bloke's on holiday, they had smashed three of the Alloys doing the Wryknott !

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The motorway was originally meant to go all the way into London, meeting the south circular. But was abandoned (prob ”cost”. NIMBYs etc.) so abruptly stops at Hooley - travelling north where M23 ends you can see where it would have done as you “exit” the motorway, now just parking for Highways/Police/etc… (so don’t go too fast when joining southbound as you’ll only notice them too late :D)

I remember seeing a graphic by post war planners (thought of themselves as Le Corbusien) where they planned I think three huge south London/north Surrey ring roads, bulldozing everything in sight to make the car king. Concentric.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
A482 from Llanwrda to Aberaeron is pretty good on 2 wheels . . .

most roads in the country are over congested and dangerously broken. Trackways is bestways. Brands Hatch!

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Anywhere… between 3&4 am…

EDIT. There are no good non-pothole roads in f***ing Tory Britain
Yes and it's he only road being discussed on this thread.

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023
I like the m25 anti-clockwise at j8 - you go under the bridge then it is always v fast downhill, slow down to take the m23 exit - lovely.

Also stay on a bit and get the second part of the junction.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Anywhere… between 3&4 am…

EDIT. There are no good non-pothole roads in f***ing Tory Britain
I've just got back from Woodingdean to Queen's Park. The amount of potholes that seem to be appearing these days and not being filled in

It's what I don't pay any road tax on my car for.

🤬

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
My favorite stretch of road is near West Hoathly, right outside the West Hoathly Garage.
Coming from Turners Hill to Sharpthorne it's a narrow road taking only two cars. Where Chapel Row becomes The Hollow the road turns to the left then right whilst droping down a good few yards. Always looks like the famous Corkscrew at Laguna Seca, only a lot smaller and slower.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Robin Hoods Bay not for the faint hearted.

Internationally parts of Northern Tenerife are thrilling

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
No Man's Land between the M6 'Toll Plaza' and rejoining the marked carriageway.

It never fails to deliver an epic edition of Wacky Races, even on the quietest days.

As we got to the top of the M40 on Saturday, we'd made good time, so for the first time in a DECADE, I didn't go on the Toll (that the satnav was suggesting). Once the Satnav established that I'd ignored it, and had recalculated the new route, on the old M6 through Brum, my estimated arrival time at Longton Rugby Club, changed from 12:05, to 12:07! (On the way back, the time went up by a whopping FOUR minutes).

As added bonuses, we got to experience the historic monument that is Hilton park services, and got to flick the Vs at Villa Park.

I'm sure weekdays through Brum are a lot worse, but on a weekend, the Toll can't possibly be worth paying the £18 return.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
100 times this. I always love those moments just past a Toll where you feel briefly like you are in Mario Kart/Wacky Races. A juvenile thrill.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
What happens if you get there with cash and no working cards? Do you just stay there?
no they give you a slip to pay via wesbite at a later date.

Side note the M6 toll doesn't accept Apple Pay hence if [like me] you leave your wallet in a jacket pocket somewhere in the boot it can be embarrassing to search through and locate while cars behind get restless

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
100 times this. I always love those moments just past a Toll where you feel briefly like you are in Mario Kart/Wacky Races. A juvenile thrill.
I love those in France, where it’s almost an offence NOT to test your 0-60 (or a bit higher) as you speed off from a standing start at the toll. I’m sure it’s what they must have based those starts at Le Mans on (or the other way around!). It’s a great feeling to know you’ve left that Renault Laguna that was alongside you in the queue eating your dirt!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I love those in France, where it’s almost an offence NOT to test your 0-60 (or a bit higher) as you speed off from a standing start at the toll. I’m sure it’s what they must have based those starts at Le Mans on (or the other way around!). It’s a great feeling to know you’ve left that Renault Laguna that was alongside you in the queue eating your dirt!
We never really grow up, do we?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As we got to the top of the M40 on Saturday, we'd made good time, so for the first time in a DECADE, I didn't go on the Toll (that the satnav was suggesting). Once the Satnav established that I'd ignored it, and had recalculated the new route, on the old M6 through Brum, my estimated arrival time at Longton Rugby Club, changed from 12:05, to 12:07! (On the way back, the time went up by a whopping FOUR minutes).

As added bonuses, we got to experience the historic monument that is Hilton park services, and got to flick the Vs at Villa Park.

I'm sure weekdays through Brum are a lot worse, but on a weekend, the Toll can't possibly be worth paying the £18 return.
Maybe it's a bit further up, but my memory of the state of the road around there was if it were in Helmund Province, the Mayor would have some serious questions to answer.

ANyhoo £9:00 is worth every penny for a proper theme park attraction.

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023
My favorite stretch of road is near West Hoathly, right outside the West Hoathly Garage.
Coming from Turners Hill to Sharpthorne it's a narrow road taking only two cars. Where Chapel Row becomes The Hollow the road turns to the left then right whilst droping down a good few yards. Always looks like the famous Corkscrew at Laguna Seca, only a lot smaller and slower.
At max 30mph though of course!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here