Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Sound metal to me, and I spent most of the late 70s down the Hungry Years.

I spent a lot of the 80s there and grew up on rock and metal. Fun times. I'm not saying you're wrong. It's just that I can't see it myself. You can possibly trace metal back to Helter Skelter but then you might as well say the bloke who invented the guitar is responsible.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
No apart from being disjointed, yes it has a fuzzy Link Wray style guitar (50s) maybe they time travelled and taught Link Wray aswell through there magical helter skelter. Nothing unique to see here.

I think of metal as more riff based and as I mention Led Zep and Sabbath seem the starting point to me.

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton
No apart from being disjointed, yes it has a fuzzy Link Wray style guitar (50s) maybe they time travelled and taught Link Wray aswell through there magical helter skelter. Nothing unique to see here.

At the time, very little like this was in the mainstream. See my earlier post about Beatles making things commercial that was previously underground.

Obviously they were not a metal band. But tracks like this gained acceptance for metal.

The Link Wray reference is an elephant, sorry, irrelevant, as most people in 1968 would not have heard of him. The beatles thru their popularity, and their bravery to experiment, helped break these sounds.

They may not have been the best at every genre, but they used their position to help the mainstream listen to new music. One of which is metal

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
At the time, very little like this was in the mainstream. See my earlier post about Beatles making things commercial that was previously underground.

Obviously they were not a metal band. But tracks like this gained acceptance for metal.

The Link Wray reference is an elephant, sorry, irrelevant, as most people in 1968 would not have heard of him. The beatles thru their popularity, and their bravery to experiment, helped break these sounds.

They may not have been the best at every genre, but they used their position to help the mainstream listen to new music. One of which is metal

I can see what your saying and agree to an extent, however I can't see the metal link, just as I can't see a dance link. You kind of contradict yourself saying they had there ear to the ground and promoted new music, and then suggest the avid rock'n'roll record collectors and fans would not have known who link wray was in 1968 is baffling. As by 1968 there was a healthy underground resurgence of rock'n'roll clubs and music in England. I think people like link wray are big influences on people like lemmy etc.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So did my dad on Germany, he has a nice scar on his head after a bar fight that broke out during the show and got a bottle smashed over his nogging.

Nice reminder; more permanent than a tour shirt I guess. And you are spot on re the late 60s. Live music and rock and roll clubs were very healthy. My parents have some great stories from this period.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I'm going to have a nice cuppa char, I think we can all take it as read I hate the Beatles, so I better stay out of this conversation. Sorry to all you Beatles lovers out there, even if I don't understand what you see in them as a band or even solo for that matter. I know how important music can be to people.

Southy

Jul 7, 2003
You Really Got Me by The Kinks is the song that is most often name checked by HM and has been covered in tribute a lot, see van Halen. I always thought Helter Skelter was McCartneys try at a Velvet Underground inspired track.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Nice reminder; more permanent than a tour shirt I guess. And you are spot on re the late 60s. Live music and rock and roll clubs were very healthy. My parents have some great stories from this period.

You say that but my Who 79, Stones 81 & Live Aid 85 are still looking good. Just waiting for Sotherby's to treat them with the respect they deserve

Mexican Seagull

Jan 16, 2013
Mexico City
Have to agree with that - Velvet Underground & Nico, , still is amazing after so many years, also for the mix of genres and the first ones to really get into the dark sides or should one say interesting sides of life....when every one else had flowers in their hair.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
im desperately trying to think of house/electronic albums for this list, but everyone i think of is a compilation of the artist's previously released singles and EPs. interesting reflection on the different approach to music making.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here