Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] The Mortgage Market 2022

Super Sub

Aug 13, 2016
Got a general advice question if anyone can answer:

My 1.99% mortgage is due to come up for renewal in 2024 by which time I'm hoping things will have calmed down a bit. In the meantime would it be advisable to divert my monthly savings into overpaying the mortgage as much as possible?

I've already got my "oh shit this unexpected calamity has happened" emergency fund so it seems like throwing additional money into that to just sit there could possibly be better served chipping away at the mortgage.
Its all about your personal preferences of course but with rates being what they currently are, id suggest that if your savings account is achieving more than 1.99% (your mortgage rate) then you are probably doing the right thing atm.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Its all about your personal preferences of course but with rates being what they currently are, id suggest that if your savings account is achieving more than 1.99% (your mortgage rate) then you are probably doing the right thing atm.
Oh I hadn't considered that actually, thanks

Super Sub

Aug 13, 2016
I'd really appreciate some advice if someone has a couple of minutes to advise.
Most likely a very noob question:

I'm 1.5 years into a 5 year fixed rate (1.9%) mortgage.
I put 10% down on a $315,000 property and my monthly payments are very affordable (thanks to the very low rate).
Of course I'm already anxious about renewal in 3.5 years, who knows that that landscape will look like in terms of rates.

I am very lucky (and thankful) to have a decent income (relative to my outgoings), and have the capability to increase my monthly mortgage payment, switch to bi-weekly payments, AND pay off a chunk of the mortgage ($10k this year, and next year, etc).

Should I be exercising this fortune to do just that, in order to slightly mitigate potential higher rates in 3.5 years time?

That might be a bit of a stupid question, but I honestly don't have anyone to ask for advice on this kind.
Cheers.
Lenders price their products every 5% and so improving your loan to value can never be a bad thing. Having said that, if you can get a better interest rate on your savings than you are paying for your mortgage then you will make more money doing it this way. You could then make a much bigger over payment further down the line when you deal comes up for renewal.
As mentioned to another poster... Its all about personal preference

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I don't suppose state pension would cover rental fees. In the not to distant future , there are going to be a lot of elderly people having to continue working to their dying day also a crisis with huge numbers of elderly being homeless . It will all be traced back to these times
Or maybe we reset our national loathing of renting, make sure there is a well regulated rental sector with rent restrictions and reconsider our obsession with our homes as assets which would, in a heartbeat, reduce house prices. Much of what I see here is people bemoaning someone's ability to get on the 'housing ladder' because prices are 'too high' which is textbook ironic.

Selling up and living in a secure rental would suit many elderly people - Fixed outgoings with no boiler etc related surprises, what's not to like?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
3 per cent - the humanity...

Presume no-one on NSC was alive in 1979 when it was 17- yes 17 per cent - and somehow we all survived.
Yeah fantastic times, as was 15% in 1990, the financial crash in 2008. About time we had another good one. Woohoo. We'll all survive.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Guess it depends where you live , out in the sticks will probably see a higher reduction as demand is less to live there . However doubt there will be a significant price reduction in Brighton & Hove not in most parts , possibly 6-8% but that would just wipe out the increases over the last year .

I’ve always tried to buy as central as possible both in NYC & Brighton & Hove and those areas have performed better than all of the suburb areas as people even in more difficult times want easy walking access to the nicest shops, restaurants, coffee shops , bakeries etc .

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Have you got a link for that? Interview I saw suggested they were stress-testing 8% not predicting it.

With general inflation at 10%+ for consecutive years then house prices in nominal terms are unlikely to crash...
Stress testing is based on interest rates not property values so if someone applies for a mortgage with an interest rate of 5% the lender assessing whether they could afford the mortgage if rates went to 8%

Ding Dong !

Boy I'm HOT today !
Jul 26, 2004
Worthing
My properties are mortgage free so personally liking the rate increases for the savings. But of course do feel for the many who will be hard hit.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
As an old git, whose race is effectively run, can I ask the question to the NSC massive, on how is this situation going to pan out?

I bought my first house in 1992, 3 bedroom mid terrace in a nice part of Worthing (most of it is) for £48,500 when I was earning £14,000 PA, those houses now go for between £375/400k but wages clearly havent moved at the same rate.

Will we end up a nation of predominantly 'renters' with large numbers of landlords owning hundreds possibly thousands of properties, or is there still a yet unrolled out policy of whatever government to let the young people of this country have the opprinuty to own their own, affordable, homes?

Apparently, and no doubt I will be corrected if wrong, both Brighton and Hove and Worthing are two of the top provincal towns and cities were the average property price has the biggest percentage gap from the average wage.
The rental stock is falling, landlords are pulling out due to loads more regs, an obscure restriction on tax relief, voids/damaged properties ... this will only increase.

Taken on by owner occupiers.

Concentrating on buyers, Brighton and Hove homes sell at 6x or 7x their 1995 value. An insane boom from now until now.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'd really appreciate some advice if someone has a couple of minutes to advise.
Most likely a very noob question:

I'm 1.5 years into a 5 year fixed rate (1.9%) mortgage.
I put 10% down on a $315,000 property and my monthly payments are very affordable (thanks to the very low rate).
Of course I'm already anxious about renewal in 3.5 years, who knows that that landscape will look like in terms of rates.

I am very lucky (and thankful) to have a decent income (relative to my outgoings), and have the capability to increase my monthly mortgage payment, switch to bi-weekly payments, AND pay off a chunk of the mortgage ($10k this year, and next year, etc).

Should I be exercising this fortune to do just that, in order to slightly mitigate potential higher rates in 3.5 years time?

That might be a bit of a stupid question, but I honestly don't have anyone to ask for advice on this kind.
Cheers.
You have a decent rate fixed for another 3.5 years. You wil most likely have limits to how much you can pay offwhilst on a fix. My advice is to maintain your current payments BUT stick the money you would have paid in overpayments/bi-weekly payments/chunk into a savings account and see how the land lies in 3.5 years time. If things are 'back to normal' at the end of your fix move to another fix. If things are still bad, or things are good and just because you want to, use the savings to pay down the mortgage and get a better product switch/remortgage. This way you have covered all your bases; I do not feel there is much benefit to be had paying it down over the next 3.5 years, versus saving up, and as I say there might be limits.

PS savings accounts will have better interest rates now.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
People will either have to get a product transfer with present lender or re mortgage, if they can, start looking 7 months before your rate ends and then see what your present lender can offer to compare, 3-6 months before the rate ends, depends on the lender

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here