Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] The Mortgage Market 2022

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It always makes me laugh at people throwing around opinions on what other people should be doing without any knowledge of that person. Ive worked in Pensions and Investments for the last 15 years, have a great deal of knowledge but always very cautious at offering anyone particular advice, I will always suggest for them to speak to a Financial Adviser. I've seen so many people make terrible financial decisions over the years from people who have listened to a family member or a friend.
100%…….the last 20 years of my career were in regulatory compliance in various roles - making fairly (or very) specific suggestions on the basis of very limited facts is a recipe for disaster. Despite my experience and qualifications I use an IFA for any major decisions.

Dinner with Gotsmanov

NSC Patron
May 30, 2014
Worthing
Gareth /Uncle C has spent a painful few weeks dealing with my queries and sorting out a new mortgage for me, and saved me cash by waiting for rates to edge down. I totally recommend using his excellent service and will probably do so again next time I need help (betcha can’t wait, eh UC?).

Seriously, thanks for your help and patience, it really is appreciated.

Best regards

DwG

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
100%…….the last 20 years of my career were in regulatory compliance in various roles - making fairly (or very) specific suggestions on the basis of very limited facts is a recipe for disaster. Despite my experience and qualifications I use an IFA for any major decisions.
100 yard breaststroke certificate…I’m not surprised

Super Sub

Aug 13, 2016
Gareth /Uncle C has spent a painful few weeks dealing with my queries and sorting out a new mortgage for me, and saved me cash by waiting for rates to edge down. I totally recommend using his excellent service and will probably do so again next time I need help (betcha can’t wait, eh UC?).

Seriously, thanks for your help and patience, it really is appreciated.

Best regards

DwG
Great news... Mortgage rates are dropping nicely atm and so good to hear you're happy (y)

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
You will be surprised at how much free help there is around online for advice when taking major decisions.

Lots of very helpful websites . I’ve never used an IFA and I don’t feel I need to.
Not even that simple though and very much depends on what you need (what decisions you’re having to take) - for example, moving a DB pension to a SIPP over a certain value legally requires you to take independent advice.

Agree there are tons of useful resources online, but ‘you don’t know what you don’t know’. A chat with an IFA could save you ££££.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Not even that simple though and very much depends on what you need (what decisions you’re having to take) - for example, moving a DB pension to a SIPP over a certain value legally requires you to take independent advice.

Agree there are tons of useful resources online, but ‘you don’t know what you don’t know’. A chat with an IFA could save you ££££.
The catch is when you try to find one who is prepared to handle a DB to SIPP transfer for you. The decent IFAs run a mile, for fear of future litigation (the indemnity required is uneconomic), while the law forces investors into taking their chances with unknown IFAs on the internet. The situation needs a root and branch overhaul.

Regarding 'a chat with an IFA could save you ££££', that is true. Also true is that it could also cost you ££££ (e.g. 10% of your sum to invest), if you don't happen to spot the charges in the small print. That happened to me, with an IFA I trusted and had been using for years.

I do use experts in some cases, but I go in with eyes wide open.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Another 0.5% hike is expected today, it seems, taking the base rate up to 3.5%.

It sounds as though fixed rate deals have been drifting downwards after the spike a couple of months ago though.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The catch is when you try to find one who is prepared to handle a DB to SIPP transfer for you. The decent IFAs run a mile, for fear of future litigation (the indemnity required is uneconomic), while the law forces investors into taking their chances with unknown IFAs on the internet. The situation needs a root and branch overhaul.

Regarding 'a chat with an IFA could save you ££££', that is true. Also true is that it could also cost you ££££ (e.g. 10% of your sum to invest), if you don't happen to spot the charges in the small print. That happened to me, with an IFA I trusted and had been using for years.

I do use experts in some cases, but I go in with eyes wide open.
Yep, loads of IFAs no longer offering DB to SIPP transfers. Glad I got my modest pot done while I could and transfer values were high.

Super Sub

Aug 13, 2016
Another 0.5% hike is expected today, it seems, taking the base rate up to 3.5%.

It sounds as though fixed rate deals have been drifting downwards after the spike a couple of months ago though.
and continue to do so...

East Staffs Gull

Jan 16, 2004
Birmingham and Austria
For DB to SIPP transfers over a certain amount, legislation requires you to obtain independent legal advice. You are not legally obliged to follow that advice. The trustees of the transferring DB scheme will want evidence that you have obtained advice, but won’t normally want to see that advice. As mentioned above, some IFA’s won’t touch transfer advice and those that do generally come at a high cost.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
For DB to SIPP transfers over a certain amount, legislation requires you to obtain independent legal advice. You are not legally obliged to follow that advice. The trustees of the transferring DB scheme will want evidence that you have obtained advice, but won’t normally want to see that advice. As mentioned above, some IFA’s won’t touch transfer advice and those that do generally come at a high cost.
£30k is the threshold. As well as that, scheme trustees are becoming ever more careful about allowing even transfers of DC schemes - will often insist on a referral to Moneyhelper (essentially a ‘sense check’ to help stop bad decisions) before allowing the transfer (will depend on individual scheme rules, plus fund content etc). One transfer I did included this requirement even though I’d been advised by an IFA (it was a pointless discussion in my case but I understand the logic of the safeguard). Costs of transfer can often be negotiated as part of any ongoing management fee - ie if you take a firm’s advice and then invest the fund with them, quite normal for the advice fee to be essentially written off as long as you stay with the firm for a period.

The Moneyhelper website has some good info on it. https://www.moneyhelper.org.uk/en/p...pot/transferring-your-defined-benefit-pension

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here