Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Miami building collapse

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
Well I'd suggest that it kinda is in a way.

As tragic as this was, and as much as you try to safeguard against it happening again in the future, there will always be situations somewhere in the world, of buildings being erected using substandard materials, or safeth being compromised by excessive cost cutting. Pass as many laws as you like.

Sad but inevitable.

That's not really what "shit happens" means though is it?

This building was built in America in the 80s, it should have been designed to a proper design code, by somebody who knew what they were doing. The design should have been checked, and it should have been built by a competent contractor. There should have been regular inspections that picked up on any deterioration. I gather from a summary of the New York Times article that there was an inspection 3 years ago which highlighted significant defects which needed remedying. It looks likes that well over 100people have been killed by this, it's not good enough to chalk it down to "shit happens".

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
That's not really what "shit happens" means though is it?

This building was built in America in the 80s, it should have been designed to a proper design code, by somebody who knew what they were doing. The design should have been checked, and it should have been built by a competent contractor. There should have been regular inspections that picked up on any deterioration. I gather from a summary of the New York Times article that there was an inspection 3 years ago which highlighted significant defects which needed remedying. It looks likes that well over 100people have been killed by this, it's not good enough to chalk it down to "shit happens".

Yes of course these defects should have been picked up, and l'm sure that on the overwhelming majority of cases they are. My point is, that there will always be the exception that proves the rule, however tight we make the regulations.

Every once in a while, the odd rogue one will escape the safety net. Shit happens.

Last edited:

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
Yes of course these defects should have been picked up, and l'm sure that on the overwhelming majority of cases they are. My point is, that there will always be the exception that proves the rule, however tight we make the regulations.

Every once in a while, the odd rogue one will escape the safety net.

I should probably be clear at this point (just to explain why I feel so strongly about this) that I am a civil engineer, albeit in bridges rather than buildings.

Ultimately the engineers job is to make sure that shit doesn't happen. There will be a reason why this building fell down, it might have been incompetence, or corruption or something that we didn't have the knowledge of before to have prevented. But we can't chalk it down to "act of god" and move on from it.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
It was revealed a few hours ago that a structural engineer had done an inspection that found that the concrete slab that the building rested on had major structural damage. This was known by the management of the building and a multimillion dollar repair plan was anticipated. But even after 2 1/2 years the repairs had not been done.

https://apnews.com/article/fl-state-wire-florida-2a241993956ea842262e593812ad3ada

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
[TWEET]1411088798008721410[/TWEET]

I realise it sometimes takes a while to actually write, check and submit the report, but if there was any genuine concern over the safety of the structure then the surveyor should have flagged that immediately after the inspection. As it is I'm not sure what they mean by "On Friday, the Crestview Towers condo association submitted a recertification report from January", as it suggests the survey and that discovered the faults would have been well before January, before the report was originally given to the association.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I realise it sometimes takes a while to actually write, check and submit the report, but if there was any genuine concern over the safety of the structure then the surveyor should have flagged that immediately after the inspection. As it is I'm not sure what they mean by "On Friday, the Crestview Towers condo association submitted a recertification report from January", as it suggests the survey and that discovered the faults would have been well before January, before the report was originally given to the association.

This is going to turn out to be the case up and down the beach now. Expect plenty more of these.

All these 70s and 80s condo sites going to be torn down I reckon and replaced with the newer Sunny Isles and Bal Harbour style trump and ritz Carlton developments

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here