Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Mens FA Cup

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Looks like big changes upcoming, Tranmere chairman on Talksport said they are desperate to push the below through before the independent regulator. Rights being sold to the EPL who would then control fixtures, which would mean:

Abolishing all replays
All games to be played midweek
Final on a normal PL weekend, likely to clash with PL fixtures at same time
Amendments to equal revenue split of fixtures to reflect attractiveness of relative sides playing

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...deal-to-buy-fa-cup-international-media-rights

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Abolishing all replays - Not BAD
All games to be played midweek - Wank
Final on a normal PL weekend, likely to clash with PL fixtures at same time - Wank
Amendments to equal revenue split of fixtures to reflect attractiveness of relative sides playing - Whats that mean

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Final on a normal PL weekend, likely to clash with PL fixtures at same time - Wank
Amendments to equal revenue split of fixtures to reflect attractiveness of relative sides playing
- Whats that mean

Currently ticket revenue is split 50-50 between the clubs. E.g if Crawley play away at United, they get half of the ticket sales.

I assume the greedy 6 want to change that so the 'bigger'club gets a higher % of the ticket revenue.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Amendments to equal revenue split of fixtures to reflect attractiveness of relative sides playing - Whats that mean

I think the last point means the purse would be split much like it would for a boxing match, the relative attractiveness of both sides for the global TV audience would be taken into account. For instance if they were to televise Leyton Orient v Chelsea, people would be overwhelmingly viewing to see Chelsea not Orient so the split would reflect that with Chelsea taking the vast majority of the TV and gate money.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I think the last point means the purse would be split much like it would for a boxing match, the relative attractiveness of both sides for the global TV audience would be taken into account. For instance if they were to televise Leyton Orient v Chelsea, people would be overwhelmingly viewing to see Chelsea not Orient so the split would reflect that with Chelsea taking the vast majority of the TV and gate money.
If that's what it means, it really is one of the crappiest crap ideas ever. Boooooo.................

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Just make it 6-a-side, rolling subs, 60 minute matches. Jumpers for goal posts.

Baldrick

Aug 24, 2020
Playing FA Cup games midweek leaves weekends free for league games. The league season then can then be condensed with a later start date in August and an earlier finishing date in April.

This allows more time for lucrative pre and post league season friendlies and tournaments, as well as time to hold the 32 team FIFA World Club Cup.

Not great if you are not one of the greedy big teams with a global fan base. The rich will just get even richer.

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
I've never really bought this argument. I find it especially hard to accept it with regard to the FA Cup, a tournament that has a reputation for "giant-killers". Most people I know would watch that match, and 90% of them would be "Orient for the day", i.e. watching in the hope of an upset.

(I realise the quoted post is just explaining the situation rather than endorsing it, this isn't meant as a dig.)

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
I've never really bought this argument. I find it especially hard to accept it with regard to the FA Cup, a tournament that has a reputation for "giant-killers". Most people I know would watch that match, and 90% of them would be "Orient for the day", i.e. watching in the hope of an upset.

(I realise the quoted post is just explaining the situation rather than endorsing it, this isn't meant as a dig.)

In the UK for sure. Overseas, not so much.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I am more against that than any of the other suggestions. The only one I agree with is no replays……we’ll have more than enough games next season :smile:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Looks like big changes upcoming, Tranmere chairman on Talksport said they are desperate to push the below through before the independent regulator. Rights being sold to the EPL who would then control fixtures, which would mean:

Abolishing all replays
All games to be played midweek
Final on a normal PL weekend, likely to clash with PL fixtures at same time

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...deal-to-buy-fa-cup-international-media-rights
I have read this three times but can't work out what you're mocking :shrug:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Just give it to the richest club anyway. The matches are a mere distraction from the inevitable.

In fact, let’s just do away with football. Nominate one of the 6 richest to win everything every year and everyone can also claim they’re a fan of whoever is the winner that year. Isn’t that what increasingly happens anyway?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
If this goes ahead, then there needs to be direct action from fans, boycott the matches, and make sure the FA/etc understand the reason for the boycott so that no-one can say that the lack of crowds is because of falling interest in the tournament.

Van Cleef

Jun 17, 2023
I am more against that than any of the other suggestions. The only one I agree with is no replays……we’ll have more than enough games next season :smile:
I totally agree. It's a terrible idea. The windfall that some of the smaller clubs gain from a plum tie can sometimes mean a new stand, paying off debts or even keep them solvent in some cases.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here