The main reason for England being poor....ARROGANCE

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
Everyone seems to have mentioned a lack of mental strength, being overpaid, a lack of desire and patriotism etc for reasons for our poor performances, but I'm convinced that there's a combination of things that represent the real reason we're bombing at the moment. The first is that we lack a bit of quality, we don't have a great squad and never mind how good Rooney is, when you play Heskey up front or Carragher in defence, you can't really be too confident about WINNING a World Cup. However, the biggest single reason for our failures is ARROGANCE - the players think they are better than they are. I draw your attention to 2 quotes, the first pre-match the second post-match:

Wayne Rooney: "Against Algeria we can not be at our best and win the game"

Steven Gerrard: "Of course, you have to give them credit. This is their World Cup final and they have managed to get a draw from us. But we have to look at ourselves."

Firstly Wayne, you're wrong. Algeria aren't as good as us, but they're as good if not better than an underperforming us. They beat Egypt in the play-off, Egypt are the champions of Africa. They really are no mugs. Oh, and you've just massively motivated them with that bit of clueless punditry.

Secondly Steven, captain of England, this was not Algeria's World Cup final, they have good players who play alongside you in the Premiership and some play in the other top leagues of Europe. This was a game they needed a result in. In this single patronising statement you've summed up why everyone wants to beat us. We think we're so superior and have done nothing to prove it. If we'd won the WC last time out, I guess I'd forgive it, but we have nothing to back this arrogance up.

Frankly I find both quotes offensive, just a tiny bit of humility wouldn't go amiss. Imagine if they were said about the Albion before and after drawing with, say, Villa in the cup. We'd go mental. And can we imagine Brazil or Italy saying these things? I'm not so sure, think them - yes, say them - no.

One day we'll actually scoff heartlily on some humble pie and then we might just realise we have something to prove to the likes of the USA and Algeria and then we might see us getting some results in games like these.

Kenneth Wattle

Aug 31, 2007
Spot on.

One thing that really stood out to me was the day the squad turned up at the hotel. A load of African kids, who had no doubt prepared for weeks and were having the time of their lives, did a dance/singing to welcome the squad.

Cue nearly all of the squad on their Blackberries, Ipods etc not looking at all interested. One of the only players to shake their hands and actually acknowledge their existence was Rio Ferdinand.

Then of course Rooney's outburst last night. These players are so distant from reality it is unreal.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Thats all true. Our Premership MIGHT be the best in Europe and our club sides MIGHT be amongst the top sides in Europe but what the f*** does that have to do with English players nowadays. We have at any one stage over the last ten years or so had one or two world class players in our squad but this time round apart from Terry (yeah yeah back pass noted ) the rest have look so very very ordinary. I`m struggling to think of when Lampard or Gerard have looked any where near as good as people seem to think they really are and they have failed to get within a country mile of how good...... THEY THINK THEY ARE.

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
Everyone seems to have mentioned a lack of mental strength, being overpaid, a lack of desire and patriotism etc for reasons for our poor performances, but I'm convinced that there's a combination of things that represent the real reason we're bombing at the moment. The first is that we lack a bit of quality, we don't have a great squad and never mind how good Rooney is, when you play Heskey up front or Carragher in defence, you can't really be too confident about WINNING a World Cup. However, the biggest single reason for our failures is ARROGANCE - the players think they are better than they are. I draw your attention to 2 quotes, the first pre-match the second post-match:

Wayne Rooney: "Against Algeria we can not be at our best and win the game"

Steven Gerrard: "Of course, you have to give them credit. This is their World Cup final and they have managed to get a draw from us. But we have to look at ourselves."

Firstly Wayne, you're wrong. Algeria aren't as good as us, but they're as good if not better than an underperforming us. They beat Egypt in the play-off, Egypt are the champions of Africa. They really are no mugs. Oh, and you've just massively motivated them with that bit of clueless punditry.

Secondly Steven, captain of England, this was not Algeria's World Cup final, they have good players who play alongside you in the Premiership and some play in the other top leagues of Europe. This was a game they needed a result in. In this single patronising statement you've summed up why everyone wants to beat us. We think we're so superior and have done nothing to prove it. If we'd won the WC last time out, I guess I'd forgive it, but we have nothing to back this arrogance up.

Frankly I find both quotes offensive, just a tiny bit of humility wouldn't go amiss. Imagine if they were said about the Albion before and after drawing with, say, Villa in the cup. We'd go mental. And can we imagine Brazil or Italy saying these things? I'm not so sure, think them - yes, say them - no.

One day we'll actually scoff heartlily on some humble pie and then we might just realise we have something to prove to the likes of the USA and Algeria and then we might see us getting some results in games like these.

Spot on.

One thing that really stood out to me was the day the squad turned up at the hotel. A load of African kids, who had no doubt prepared for weeks and were having the time of their lives, did a dance/singing to welcome the squad.

Cue nearly all of the squad on their Blackberries, Ipods etc not looking at all interested. One of the only players to shake their hands and actually acknowledge their existence was Rio Ferdinand.

Then of course Rooney's outburst last night. These players are so distant from reality it is unreal.

Late in the day, I know, but you guys are both spot on....hindsight doean't temper, blur or change anything.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Just because we are BETTER than everybody else doesn't make us arrogant,not even a teeny tiny bit.

Lush

Mods' Pet
I am surprised how pissed off i still am at our performance in the World Cup.

Some major rethinking will have to be done (but probably won't be), even if the only motivation is marketing deals. Shops can't give away the left over merchandise.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports