[Albion] The Magic of the FA Cup…

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
All of this. I’d also add ridiculous kick off times. How many 12.30 kick offs were there yesterday.

Exactly! All for the TV audience.

Now I will admit to being a hypocrite here however, as I will watch a lot of the games that are on normal TV. I do especially like 3rd round weekend and the chance of some 'giant killing' as things progress.

I can barely remember any Finals though from recent years. Some years I almost forgot it was even on!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It's not a club I follow closely, but I do distinctly remember a lot of their fans phoning 606 at the time of Pulis. They all wanted him gone because of the style of football. The presenters were incredulous that any fan would rather see attractive football than stay in the top division at all costs. Idiot presenters.

I agreed with those fans phoning in then, and I still would now if it happened to us.

We have quite a few on here who would happily sacrifice entertainment for results if the entertaining football wasn’t producing them. There was plenty of discussion on this last season when we had that horrendous home run.

I too would sacrifice PL football to avoid anti football again, even if it got the points needed to stay up. I could tolerate it for a season as we tried to establish ourselves. It was pushing me away from wanting to attend games late in the second season

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Looked like one of our recent prem league home crowds

People in glass houses ..etc

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

what a load of tosh, even for the game I assume you are talking about on Boxing Day at 8pm with no transport had thousands more attending than West Brom did

All other games, even the poorly attended ones had many many thousands more than the paltry 4000 or so West Brom Fans who turned up at 3pm on a saturday with normal transport running

Its not comparing like with like, which you must know, so your post must just be a case of just club/fan bashing

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
AWAY FANS & COVID
Why, when a ground is almost empty, are the away fans still penned in to a tight gap. 2000 at WBA all shoulder to shoulder whilst the rest of the ground was empty.
Same, in a way, for the Brentford game.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
AWAY FANS & COVID
Why, when a ground is almost empty, are the away fans still penned in to a tight gap. 2000 at WBA all shoulder to shoulder whilst the rest of the ground was empty.
Same, in a way, for the Brentford game.

Because 1 or 2 dickheads amongst that 2000 means can’t change establish protocol. Nor at moments notice because of H&s. Sucks but that’s modern football. It has zero flex like old days because of, inc ST culture. Surely by now you’ve worked out you need a planning degree to go to a match with friends?! :)

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Because 1 or 2 dickheads amongst that 2000 means can’t change establish protocol. Nor at moments notice because of H&s. Sucks but that’s modern football. It has zero flex like old days because of, inc ST culture. Surely by now you’ve worked out you need a planning degree to go to a match with friends?! :)

Understand where you're coming from and it requires more than a planning degree. Knowing the away stands helps plan where to buy a second ticket a week after buying the first so we can stand together.
But surely WBA knew they hadn't sold that many home tickets and could have just opened up another section next to the away section to allow the fans to spread out more.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
A draw with us going away to a lower league team would be best, I think. Yes there would be the chance of a "giant killing", but better playing with a crowd that cares (as well as our own magnificent support) would make a better game. And we would have a good chance of getting through.

Just not Southampton away or another Premier League team.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I think there is a certain misery about getting relegated and then drawing a premier league team who you believe you should be above in the league but know are better than you. I couldn't find myself getting excited by an FA Cup tie against, say, Brentford, if we'd been relegated to the championship.

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
The early rounds are for the lower leagues

Cambridge, Chesterfield & Plymouth all had good turn outs

The tourists & glory hunters will be back further on in the competition

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
I think the magic of the cup went a good while ago for many people.

Started when the FA let Man Utd drop out of it to play abroad.

Semi finals at Wembley.

The final taking place before the season's even finished.

The days of it being the show piece event and the whole nation sitting down to watch it on TV are long gone.

That's modern football for you really.

The magic is certainly still there for the small clubs that do well like Cambridge beating Newcastle, and for those smaller clubs who go far, like us in the semis, but I can't imagine the likes of city fans getting too excited by the FA Cup thesedays. And you're right, I remember as a kid wall to wall coverage of the events leading up to the final. It always felt a huge day. Nowadays there's even been years where league games have been played before the final at half 5 (which in itself is a proper shit time to sit down and watch it - especially if you've got young kids to feed and put to bed around 7, etc)

South west gull

Nov 3, 2021
West ham seem to be taking the fa cup seriously by selecting a full strength team at home to leeds

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Just watching the West Ham vs wankers interview with Beliesa.

Is it just me or does anyone else think of the Fast Show…….effffe fffff efffff. Boutros boutros ghali

30A91115-0777-4BFF-98CC-E558AC3CE9CF.jpeg

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Brilliant

Just had one of those moments where the interviewer asks a long question….the translator tells him what she said….he answers with a long answer….the translator says..” yes, we’ll miss them”

Even my very basic Spanish picked out at least 4 different words than “ yes well miss them”

Wasn’t it the Chelsea translator who translated for ranieri who was found out to be rubbish at it!

South west gull

Nov 3, 2021
Brilliant

Just had one of those moments where the interviewer asks a long question….the translator tells him what she said….he answers with a long answer….the translator says..” yes, we’ll miss them”

Even my very basic Spanish picked out at least 4 different words than “ yes well miss them”

Wasn’t it the Chelsea translator who translated for ranieri who was found out to be rubbish at it!
Saw that Chelsea fella once hand over tickets to a tout

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports