[Drinking] The Lost Pubs Project

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
So you think businesses that are so cash rich they can sell alcohol at a loss, which also pays less tax on alcohol didn't have much effect on the demise of pubs? .

Not as much as you seem to believe no..... there have been off-sales and off licences and supermarket sales for many many decades... Pubcos started in earnest in the nineties. ...... that started the downward slide....

Labour deregulated in 2005, this produced more anti social behaviour in the streets than it did business issues in the pubs.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
H & W took over the brewing of King and Barnes I believe and make most light ale for other brewers and bottle and package them under their name. I pay very little attention to what CAMRA says as in my experience they are generally a bunch of know F..k Alls, who think they know it all.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Thats mostly down to Hall & Woodhouse buying up the cheaper pubs and letting them go to ruin http://www.westernsussexcamra.org.uk/files/drinker_2010_02.pdf
And their badger beer is pretty bad.
It's a standard modus operandi for a Pubco, in a village near me, Enterprise bought 2 decent pubs, 100m apart... they put high rents (3000 per month) on both, then ran down one....the locals rebelled at the trashing of their previously vibrant community hubs, boycotted both. Now they sold one off as a going concern, a freehouses, which is now doing well run by a local couple...the other is now being sold for housing.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
H & W took over the brewing of King and Barnes I believe and make most light ale for other brewers and bottle and package them under their name. I pay very little attention to what CAMRA says as in my experience they are generally a bunch of know F..k Alls, who think they know it all.

But they still let them go to ruin.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports