Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Live Music thread

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
We went to Latitude this year. Great fun…but it pissed down all day on the Saturday.

Mid afternoon, we went to the Sunrise Arena, cold, wet and miserable - we went there as that stage has a marquee so we could spend a little bit of time in the dry.

We’d been there about fifteen minutes when The Mary Wallopers came on. We knew nothing about them at all…but wow, they were fun. Full of humour and energy, and with a very enthusiastic crowd…it reminded me of early Pogues gigs.

It was just what we needed to stave off full on meltdown.
Thanks for that.
I did watch a couple of you tubes of them performing and they looked quite fun and you obviously enjoyed them in your hour of need!
I look forward to it.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
A bit niche, but there is a cracking Black Metal night at the East Street Tap on Friday featuring new welsh BM sensations Ofnus who I saw at Bloodstock earlier in the year. Saw them in the New Blood Tent and bought a ticket there and then. On the more melodic side of the genre definitely worth a look if you are into the heavier side of things. Also on the bill are Ba'al who I'd say are a shade or two darker.

Si Gull

Way Down South
Mar 18, 2008
On top of the world
Bullingdon, Oxford last night. Coach Party, always brilliant, supported by the excellent Girl Scout, and Brighton's Holler who were also very good.

Again, surprised and quite saddened by the audience...mostly over 40 and mostly male. Three up and coming young bands but there were very few youngsters watching. At £15 a ticket it can't be the cost putting them off. Is watching live music not a thing anymore for the younger generation?

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Bullingdon, Oxford last night. Coach Party, always brilliant, supported by the excellent Girl Scout, and Brighton's Holler who were also very good.

Again, surprised and quite saddened by the audience...mostly over 40 and mostly male. Three up and coming young bands but there were very few youngsters watching. At £15 a ticket it can't be the cost putting them off. Is watching live music not a thing anymore for the younger generation?
There seem to be quite a few young Brighton bands around at the moment that are doing a good job. I've been listening to Genn a fair bit over the weekend who are playing a date at The Komedia later this month. As for 40 plus old men..well I'm 50 plus and go to more gigs than ever these days- think its all down to disposable income post mortgage and kids.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Haha, yes, I know what you mean. This was how I used to feel.

But friends of ours messaged us when Pulp were announced as headliners suggesting we all go, so we all thought ‘why not?’, particularly as we are teachers and it was just after term finished.

With the right company, it is great fun. There is actually a lot going on, and a lot of variety. We saw some brilliant gigs, and had some great times.

I’d go again!
Exactly why went went this year, plus we failed to get Glastonbury tickets. Thought it was ok, but lightweight on the music side and very family friendly.
Saturday ended up our best day as we headed back early as soaked but the bar where our glamping was, had a great DJ on belting out a lot of Northern Soul so stayed in there until early hours.
Saw quite a few Albion there, you didn’t happen to have a bucket hat did you?
IMG_9356.jpeg

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Exactly why went went this year, plus we failed to get Glastonbury tickets. Thought it was ok, but lightweight on the music side and very family friendly.
Saturday ended up our best day as we headed back early as soaked but the bar where our glamping was, had a great DJ on belting out a lot of Northern Soul so stayed in there until early hours.
Saw quite a few Albion there, you didn’t happen to have a bucket hat did you?
I did have a bucket hat, the same as that…but that’s not me! Mine has Albion 1901 on the top, that one has 55.

I didn’t see him!

You’re right, it was lightweight on the musical side, but we saw great sets by The Murder Capital, Pulp, Young Fathers, Black MIDI amongst others.

It was fun.

I also went to Glastonbury. That was considerably more fun.

Si Gull

Way Down South
Mar 18, 2008
On top of the world
There seem to be quite a few young Brighton bands around at the moment that are doing a good job. I've been listening to Genn a fair bit over the weekend who are playing a date at The Komedia later this month. As for 40 plus old men..well I'm 50 plus and go to more gigs than ever these days- think its all down to disposable income post mortgage and kids.
Yes, good to see plenty of life in the Brighton scene, will have a look at Genn. I'm also over 50 but remember going to loads of gigs as a teenager, we lived for live music, but it doesn't seem to be the case for teenagers/20 somethings now. I don't know what's changed.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I went to the last date of the UK Subs last tour at the 100 club the other Sunday, it was excellent as ever and hopefully I will not lose my happy place gig and they continue to do the odd gig in Brighton or Lewes.

Great week coming up, the superb Treeboy and Arc at the Albert tomorrow, I highly recommend their album 'Natural Habitat' according to my apple music I have played it over 250 times, one of my albums of the year, if you like LIFE I would think you would like this. Then got Hot Wax on Wednesday (who have their own thread on NSC at present) excellent live band. Then on Sunday got the forever wonderful Pip Blom in-store.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Got myself a ticket for Hauschka and Dobrawa Czocher at The Barbican in November. Can't wait!

Loooong time since I've been there. Last time was to see Sainhko Namtchylak and also Esma Redžepova.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Two nights at Chalk coming up. Tonight its Jesus and Mary Chain and tomorrow The Mary Wallopers. Looking forward to both of these Marys.

Eric Potts

Jul 26, 2004
Top o' Hanover
Two nights at Chalk coming up. Tonight its Jesus and Mary Chain and tomorrow The Mary Wallopers. Looking forward to both of these Marys.
I'll be at Chalk tonight . After a stopover at the Independent in Hanover for their tap takeover final . So may miss the support.
Would have liked to see Mary Wallopers , but it's sold out , alas.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I'll be at Chalk tonight . After a stopover at the Independent in Hanover for their tap takeover final . So may miss the support.
Would have liked to see Mary Wallopers , but it's sold out , alas.
I don't know much about The Mary Wallopers but going with some mates who highly recommend them- and its a Friday!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here