Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Live Music thread

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Who wants to buy a ticket for Cate Le Bon, now that they've arranged the Albion v Hull game for that same evening? :annoyed:

Stage times would suggest you could watch first half on TV and some of the second half in a pub near Komedia and then Cate le Bon in her entirety. It's a win win win!

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
I was cool enough to pick up Metronomy around the time of Pip Paine, enjoyed their second album, and then completely went off them by the time they started doing LYRIC based songs. I would ask Google, but NSC is so much more informed; are they good again?

First time I really knew who they were was The Look, and what a pop tune. Alas nothing else has ever done it for me. I saw them from afar 2 years ago at an NME tour gig but I was dating at the time with a free ticket so I didn't give a shit about them (and the dome is terrible). Tonight, I kinda liked them but they're never going to blow me away (again, a freebee).
They're tight, have interesting band members, but maybe vocally they're lacking (for me).

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
looking down the tickets on Resident I see the city's music scene has thrown another clash with Micah P Hinson playing the same night as Dan Stuart.

(not quite as bad as the Mark Kozelek, Steve Mason, Grant Hart fiasco in October)

'The Men' at the Haunt with change from a tenner can't be bad

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm pretty tired today; I arrived at the venue for 9pm which is typical gig time to find out Grumbling Fur were not on until midnight. In fact we arrived so early that the venue was closed. Fortunately, as the venue is quite remote, temperatures were sub-zero and the organisers felt sorry for us we were invited in whilst the crews had their dinner.

When the band finally came on they were looking suitably "refreshed" and they explained they'd also arrived early and had spent the past 3 hours hanging out with "Mary Jane." The gig was part of the CTM Festival for "adventurous music and art" and the support certainly lived up to this; bizarrely one was the Frau's yoga instructor. Grumbling Fur was slightly chaotic but with a wonderful pop sensibility coming through. They played a couple of tracks I have not heard and one was simply an out-and-out brilliant up-tempo pop tune. Another was veering toward Depeche Mode. They were also very amusing; their slightly stoned ramblings made me chuckle and Frau Tubthumper had a natter to the long haired member complimenting him on his tropical print suitcase which he had borrowed off his sister. I really do recommend you check these guys out.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I'm pretty tired today; I arrived at the venue for 9pm which is typical gig time to find out Grumbling Fur were not on until midnight. In fact we arrived so early that the venue was closed. Fortunately, as the venue is quite remote, temperatures were sub-zero and the organisers felt sorry for us we were invited in whilst the crews had their dinner.

When the band finally came on they were looking suitably "refreshed" and they explained they'd also arrived early and had spent the past 3 hours hanging out with "Mary Jane." The gig was part of the CTM Festival for "adventurous music and art" and the support certainly lived up to this; bizarrely one was the Frau's yoga instructor. Grumbling Fur was slightly chaotic but with a wonderful pop sensibility coming through. They played a couple of tracks I have not heard and one was simply an out-and-out brilliant up-tempo pop tune. Another was veering toward Depeche Mode. They were also very amusing; their slightly stoned ramblings made me chuckle and Frau Tubthumper had a natter to the long haired member complimenting him on his tropical print suitcase which he had borrowed off his sister. I really do recommend you check these guys out.

An enjoyable evening indeed. They are a band I know very little about, so with a trusted NSC recommendation one of my tasks this weekend will be to check them out. Midnight stage times mid week would interfere greatly with my working life however.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
An enjoyable evening indeed. They are a band I know very little about, so with a trusted NSC recommendation one of my tasks this weekend will be to check them out. Midnight stage times mid week would interfere greatly with my working life however.

It's certainly intrerfering with me today. The evening had potential to be an utter disaster but thankfully they were worth the wait. I mentioned they apologised; they also made some comment about the midnight slot and it not being the optimal "time for Fur." Then followed a discussion about what time they were at their best which they refered to as "Apex Fur." I think they settled on just after tea-time for "Apex Fur." The guitarist was looking quite glassy eyed at this point. None of this detracted from the gig though.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

Long haired member is Alexander Tucker, who I'm sure lived in Brighton for a while. I'm really glad you enjoyed it, even if they were a little refreshed. They were one of the best things I saw last year at the Green Door gig. I'm very much hoping they'll play TGE, they'd suit the Uncut gigs at the Pavillion Theatre INHO.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here