Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Live Music thread

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Couple of weeks ago I saw Greta Van Fleet at the Manchester Apollo. Not great really as lead singer was losing his voice. However the stand out was the quite brilliant Marcus King and his band, who supported. What an Amazingly talented guy he is. Fusion of rock, blues, country and soul. He’s a great guitarist too.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Off to Working Men’s Club outstore tonight. Really enjoying the new album which is better than their debut.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Went to Nadine Shah last night at Brighton Electric, 100 people and 8 people in her band. It was quality, she did a 90 minute set with tracks off all 4 albums. The support was also very good a local musician called Johny J Presley, he was very good, White stripes, Royal Blood sound with also Jim Morrison bluesy sound at times and an incredible guitarist, he played about a 45 minute set, then after Nadine hung around a packed bar and talked to people and signed merch. Fantastic night, recommend catching her if you can, her band was superb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzP41riIKn8

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Went to Nadine Shah last night at Brighton Electric, 100 people and 8 people in her band. It was quality, she did a 90 minute set with tracks off all 4 albums. The support was also very good a local musician called Johny J Presley, he was very good, White stripes, Royal Blood sound with also Jim Morrison bluesy sound at times and an incredible guitarist, he played about a 45 minute set, then after Nadine hung around a packed bar and talked to people and signed merch. Fantastic night, recommend catching her if you can, her band was superb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzP41riIKn8

Is Pete Wareham (sax player) still playing with her?

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
The Saxophonist was amazing had a bass sax as well. I think this is your fella, here is a photo from the night, is it Pete. Her whole band was excellent.

Attachments

• Sax.jpg
    Sax.jpg
    368.9 KB · Views: 117

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Off to see Been Stellar tonight at Green Door Store, great band discovered at Great Escape. Cool Brooklyn kids, quite Strokes-y.

Not sold out, on at 9.50. Come on down.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Any good? I am quite obsessed with the album and they were brilliant when they played Chalk at that festival I cannot remember the name of at the end of last year

Yes they were very good indeed. One of the best live bands I’ve seen this year. The new album tracks sound great but even better in the flesh. Love their whole ‘don’t expect us to smile- we couldn’t care less attitude.’ Lead singer tried to snatch a mobile from some idiot at the front- too many people taking recordings as ever. He is great though and at times mesmerising, I enjoyed the screaming and contortions that accompanied AAAA. Played for just under an hour and thankfully no encore.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Off to see Been Stellar tonight at Green Door Store, great band discovered at Great Escape. Cool Brooklyn kids, quite Strokes-y.

Not sold out, on at 9.50. Come on down.

How was your evening Kevo? Not heard of that band- worth checking out from what you say.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
How was your evening Kevo? Not heard of that band- worth checking out from what you say.

I've seen them a few times now - they're great, and beginning to get a bit of a following. Defo worth catching live if they play Brighton again (I think they like it - they played four sets at the Great Escape). First band on, Shady Baby (terrible name) were also excellent, hard-driving post-punk. A few SP types in attendance btw, including the lesser-spotted Captain Riot.

https://youtu.be/IFp6ISQvGBk

Last edited:

Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean

The Selecter @ St Peters Church, part of the 'Modern World' gubbins

Great 1 3/4 hour set, most of Too Much Pressure and blinding covers ( The Avengers, Train to Skaville ) made it a good start to the Mod (ish) festival...

Onwards to that Ace face Nick Hayward next Friday

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
The Wedding Present.

Twice.

The edge of the sea, this year with added going in the sea for me.

******* hot in the C2 but wonderful as ever.

Would go again.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
The Wedding Present.

Twice.

The edge of the sea, this year with added going in the sea for me.

******* hot in the C2 but wonderful as ever.

Would go again.

Got to agree. Absolutely stifling inside but worth the effort. Thought Mr Gedge was on top form this year- seemed genuinely pleased to be back after two years of no festival. Locating the Swim Stage outside was a real improvement- although we still had to avoid the blazing sun. The Friday night set was better than Saturdays. I don’t really rate Seamonsters that highly- even though Dalliance and Heather are cracking tunes the rest is a bit average. Take Fountain is vastly superior and peppered with other well chosen songs made a great evening. Much to my annoyance my mate won the second prize in the raffle which he was pretty smug about. I got talking to the people at the merchandise table and they had to go into town to buy more books of raffle tickets as they had sold out. Over £1000 bought. Not bad for prizes that are basically old left over tat. Overall a great weekend but yes- hot hot hot!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I don't go to too many gigs these days, but I'm looking forward to The Handsome Family at St Luke's this Saturday

morematey

Jun 28, 2017
After a quiet couple of months a busy week for me with:
- LIFE at Resident Records on Thurs
- All Points East on Fri (The National headline)
- Victorious Festival on Sun with wife/kids. First proper live music for the kids.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Going to see Deah and Arty revive The LoveGods on Friday at the Constant Service. They were the band that really got me into the Brighton music scene after I had moved DFL at the end of the 90s. Will be a fabulous trip down memory lane for me. Bizarrely the full band reunion is happening in Blackburn on the day of the Palace game so I am glad they have a this used to be our hometown reunion show scheduled.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here