Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Live Music thread

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Hmmm. The problem I have tonight is that the Frau has just signed a contract on a job she's been after and we plan to celebrate .....at Erol/Avery. But we got bloody Toy in between. I'll be like a coiled spring during their set.

How was Toy in the end? They really are better on recordings than live. (Congrats on the contract signing)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
How was Toy in the end? They really are better on recordings than live. (Congrats on the contract signing)

Thank you Corgi.

Toy were okay but I did find them a bit repetitive and single-paced after a while. The venue is an easy tram ride away and we got there just after they went on; had a couple of beers and then moved on. My point being that we did not really sacrifice much. Had I made space for them in my Friday night diary or sacrificed something else I might be more negative about them. A bit of live music whilst having a couple of beers is probably the best way to describe the gig.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Really enjoyed the show, a real good mix in there. Thanks.
Do that Fire! lot ever play? Do they play in the UK? They'd be worth a trip up to London for.

With bells on. I'm not sure they've made it here yet

Anyone seeing Thurston at Green Door Store t tomorrow? I'm supposedly getting to meet the great man which will be nice. I'll try not to ask him anything about Kim.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Thank you Corgi.

Toy were okay but I did find them a bit repetitive and single-paced after a while. The venue is an easy tram ride away and we got there just after they went on; had a couple of beers and then moved on. My point being that we did not really sacrifice much. Had I made space for them in my Friday night diary or sacrificed something else I might be more negative about them. A bit of live music whilst having a couple of beers is probably the best way to describe the gig.

That's very much how I felt seeing them last month. Although I have got both albums it was difficult to make out some of the songs as the sound was that poor. However, the title track to Join The Dots is a great song as is most of the stuff on the first album.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I forgot to go and see The Men on Friday

I have a spare ticket if anyone wants it :(

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I see that Dean Wareham is splaying the Albert in May

I confidently predict that his last encore will be a cover of 'Ceremony' and that it will be jolly good.

Just saying, like

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
CHVRCHES were pretty good, if a little brief (they played for less than an hour, but it did "only" cost £15). Tether was a highlight and the singles also went down well. A new guitar-heavy song bodes well for more variety in their next album, harking back a little bit more to band members' old bands (ie The Twilight Sad and the phenomenal Aereogramme). Great freaky dancing from Martin Doherty as well.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
With bells on. I'm not sure they've made it here yet

Anyone seeing Thurston at Green Door Store t tomorrow? I'm supposedly getting to meet the great man which will be nice. I'll try not to ask him anything about Kim.

Good gawd, that's amazing. Can I recommend others that if they've got a spare hour, then you'll do worse things with it than listening to this.
Thanks for the link James, and I hope hearing and conversing with Thurston went well. Saw him back in Sep, and have had too much work on, so didn't go. I recognised a couple of them in Fire!: Dan Berglund who plays electric double bass and was in EST; and, some saxophonist who plays with Peter Brotzmann sometimes.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Corgi Registered Engineer - Have you noticed the Sleaford Mods gig will be after the last home game of the season. Hopefully we'll be celebrating being playoff bound!

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
It had not occurred to me but what a great way to celebrate. Can't see myself going home between match and concert and could well be the worse for wear before band come on.

challengechappers

Sep 14, 2005
Decided on a whim to get Cat Power tix for the Dome as it's solo - last time I saw her was in a small club in London for the Covers tour when she just meltedallhersongstogetherwithoutfinishingthem, because she was so nervous it seems. Hoping for a better show a decade (?) later.

Still love Troubled Waters, even though it is a cover of a cover really.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Factory Floor (Coalition, 17 May) and Tuneyards (Concorde, 26 June) announced recently.
Who's going to see Polar Bear on Wed?
Has anyone been to The Verdict as yet? I'm considering going to see the Ivo Neame quintet, and that decision may be swayed by any feedback on the venue.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Factory Floor (Coalition, 17 May) and Tuneyards (Concorde, 26 June) announced recently.
Who's going to see Polar Bear on Wed?
Has anyone been to The Verdict as yet? I'm considering going to see the Ivo Neame quintet, and that decision may be swayed by any feedback on the venue.

Thanks for Factory Floor heads up. Thought they would go for a larger venue than Coalition though.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
This week's Sonic Shuffle featuring tunes from The Ex (should be up the street of any Fall fans), Kemper Norton and Angel Olsen who play Brighton in the near future as well as local types Tense Men & Sons of Noel and Adrian.

http://www.mixcloud.com/jamesmclarnon562/sonic-shuffle-16032014/

Still tickets for Thurston this evening...

Listening to this weeks show whilst getting ready for football. A particularly strong start with the first two tracks really hitting the mark. All bodes well for a win later on I think.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here