Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Live Music thread

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I'm waiting until the gig to get the album, but it is fairly straight ahead gurney, fuzzy indie-rock. A little more downbeat than JG, so quite a nice complementary bill, should be a good night.

If you've not seen them live yet JG are brilliant. I saw them early last year on Flex Your Head's reccomendation, I did not regret it.

I'm not really that keen on Speedy Ortiz to be fair, perhaps I'm listening to the wrong songs.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
If you've not seen them live yet JG are brilliant. I saw them early last year on Flex Your Head's reccomendation, I did not regret it.

I'm not really that keen on Speedy Ortiz to be fair, perhaps I'm listening to the wrong songs.

In fairness JG are the main draw for me on thursday too. I still expect Speedy Ortiz to be pretty good though.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Yay!

As an aside all this talk of of Montreal made me dig into their back cataloge over the past few days. Hissing Fauna really is an incredible album isnt it? I'm not sure I fully appreciated it's brilliance previously but revisiting it a number of years on it really is a stand out album.

Someone from Rounder got me to buy an Of Montreal album once upon a time. Can't even remember its name, but can remember not being entirely struck by it. But it's nice to dig something out and give it another go, which you and SHC have just prompted me to do.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Blimey, that's a great line up.

I love the End of the Road - I went a few years ago when Super Furries were headlining, along with BSP, Yo La Tengo, Midlake amongst others. But it was mid September and it was cold.

This sounds much more appealing.

I did plan to go last year but other things got in the way. May make the effort this time round though as that line up looks pretty good.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
So, just how good were Gruesome? :) Even a galaxy 500 cover in there!

Really enjoyed them and preferred to Speedy Ortiz. Did not spot the Galaxy cover but did pick up a new song. Maybe that was it? Half an hour set was perfect length. They were selling a seven inch vinyl track which I would have got but had run out of cash by the end. Agree its a great venue and wherever you are you can actually see the band!

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
This was the cover, about 4 songs in last night. The new one was the track after I think.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzkLwmRpFdE

I left after Gruesome as my mates beer was launching at the Albert and I didn't want a late one. My mate (who's genre-tagging is usually accurate) said they are an american college indie rock band, so I didn't fancy it.

They've been playing Tugboat a while, I got very excited when they palyed it when I saw them. Glad to hear it's still in the set.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Really enjoyed them and preferred to Speedy Ortiz. Did not spot the Galaxy cover but did pick up a new song. Maybe that was it? Half an hour set was perfect length. They were selling a seven inch vinyl track which I would have got but had run out of cash by the end. Agree its a great venue and wherever you are you can actually see the band!

Good to see you last night, sorry I didn't catch you after the gig. Enjoyed both bands, but wasn't blown away by either. Didn't think the Galaxie 500 cover really fitted in with the rest of Jo Gruesome's set.

Agree about the venue - only the second time I've been there (first time was Hatcham Social at the Great Escape). They do a nice selection of bottled ales in there too... (my head hurts!)

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
They've been playing Tugboat a while, I got very excited when they palyed it when I saw them. Glad to hear it's still in the set.

Question is, whose is the best Tugboat? a) Galaxie 500; b) Joanna Gruesome; c) British Sea Power.

I think I prefer BSP's.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Good to see you last night, sorry I didn't catch you after the gig. Enjoyed both bands, but wasn't blown away by either. Didn't think the Galaxie 500 cover really fitted in with the rest of Jo Gruesome's set.

Agree about the venue - only the second time I've been there (first time was Hatcham Social at the Great Escape). They do a nice selection of bottled ales in there too... (my head hurts!)

Good catching up with you too. The last Great Escape the venue was used during the day time and we spent most of the Saturday crossing backwards and forwards between the Albert and Green Store. A perfect arrangement and limited walking. I got Melt Banana tickets whilst in town yesterday so looking forward to that. Hope your head improves soon. As for the Tugboat-it has to be Seapower.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Good catching up with you too. The last Great Escape the venue was used during the day time and we spent most of the Saturday crossing backwards and forwards between the Albert and Green Store. A perfect arrangement and limited walking. I got Melt Banana tickets whilst in town yesterday so looking forward to that. Hope your head improves soon. As for the Tugboat-it has to be Seapower.

It'll be mental.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
It'll be mental.

Hope so. Last time they played at Sticky Mikes and I did not see the band at all due to the low stage. They sounded good though but ultimately disappointing as the lead singer is pretty captivating and worthy of attention.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here