Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Live Music thread

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Wonder if anyone can help me out....

I'm looking for a venue (doesn't have to be a gig space but must have good acoustics and be hireable) which isn't going to break the bank to hire, within 10-15 minutes of Brighton Station. A church or quiet space would be ideal.

Capacity between 50 & 100 so smaller than Prince Albert, Joker and Komedia Studio if at all possible.

Have you tried The Jazz Place Basement in Ship St? A friend of mine had his wedding reception there recently and has a capacity of roughly the size you are after. There is a small bar inside and pretty intimate. Not a quiet area of town though.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Wonder if anyone can help me out....

I'm looking for a venue (doesn't have to be a gig space but must have good acoustics and be hireable) which isn't going to break the bank to hire, within 10-15 minutes of Brighton Station. A church or quiet space would be ideal.

Capacity between 50 & 100 so smaller than Prince Albert, Joker and Komedia Studio if at all possible.

West Hill Hall? But you must have considered that?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I did, it's probably a bit big for what I want but worthy of consideration.

I'm not exactly sure what it is you want to do but maybe you should approach a coffee shop or cafe which closes at 5 to use after hours? This will tick you small and quiet boxes.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I'm not exactly sure what it is you want to do but maybe you should approach a coffee shop or cafe which closes at 5 to use after hours? This will tick you small and quiet boxes.

I was thinking The Marwood or Presuming Ed, that are open later as a matter of course. Has anyone ever been in either or better still seen music in either?

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Have you tried The Jazz Place Basement in Ship St? A friend of mine had his wedding reception there recently and has a capacity of roughly the size you are after. There is a small bar inside and pretty intimate. Not a quiet area of town though.

That's a decent call. You also reminded me of the small room in The Basement, that's really good for this sort of thing.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
That's a decent call. You also reminded me of the small room in The Basement, that's really good for this sort of thing.

When I was there there was a small band so plenty of room for that. Let us know what you decide on. Good luck.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Going to Sufjan tonight and then Together The People this weekend. Looking forward to a musical weekend.

Gutted to be missing Sufjan due to unforseen events. Let us know how it was. Hopefully back in town for some of TTP. Losing count of the number of gigs I have missed this year because life keeps getting in the way. Reckon it's about 20% FFS

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Not going to Sufjan or Together The People unfortunately

Anyone else have a suspicion that TTP isn't going to be particularly busy? Only really SFA and the Leftfield after party appealed that much personally.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Not going to Sufjan or Together The People unfortunately

Anyone else have a suspicion that TTP isn't going to be particularly busy? Only really SFA and the Leftfield after party appealed that much personally.

I hope TTP is busy, think it's a great line-up myself especially saturday SFA, Lev's, Bragg, Brakes interested in Ghost Poet and Spraggan too. Also like the local bar and Street Diner doing the food. Would be a shame if it is a flop in my opinion.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I hope TTP is busy, think it's a great line-up myself especially saturday SFA, Lev's, Bragg, Brakes interested in Ghost Poet and Spraggan too. Also like the local bar and Street Diner doing the food. Would be a shame if it is a flop in my opinion.

I also hope that it is a success. Really looking forward to seeing SFA again, and Ghostpoet too.

However, I am worried for the event - I think ticket sales have been poor, and most people I know have just got Saturday tickets. An unscientific sample, but if extrapolated, Sunday could be very poorly attended.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

I'm not willing it to flop, I just think that the family market they've obviously gone for is a bit of a risk in Brighton. I think they are relying on lots of people who don't ordinarily go to music events to go. I don't think I know anyone who is going irl, or even speaking about it.

Don't think much of the smaller, local stuff they've picked.

Clearly I'm not the target demographic though.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I share the concerns about TTP (I get the feeling sales have been sluggish too). I think the sunday line-up is thin, but the saturday is terrific and the day price of £45 is very good value. I've got quite a few friends going so it should be a decent social occasion too. I'm looking forward to it I hope the pre-event anxiety is unfounded.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Going tomorrow to TTP but only to see SFA. If the weather is particularly poor I won't bother going till the evening. Expensive as my girlfriend coming too and that makes it over eighty quid. I did expect a better selection of music and got a ticket based on the fact that one inch badge were promoting thinking they would choose better local bands.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I seriously thought about going, as it's local, and we want to take our eight-year-old to festivals (he's got a cracking taste in music), so it seemed like an ideal opportunity to trial it, but it was just too expensive, and I wasn't over-enamoured with the line-up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here